Bedlam 2022

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Yup.

This time for Dillon Gabriel to shine. J Dart come on down. And then there’s Nick Evers. And Jackson Arnold in the 23 class Who really likes Oklahoma a lot.

Hot dang the future is bright. I haven’t followed OK state recruiting, are they in on some big names at qb too?
We have the Big 12 1st team QB coming back and a proven backup in Illingworth who has another year in the system and didn't burn his redshirt this year. Gundy's son behind him, and yeah, several offers out. We have one of the best QB situations in the country. :pistols:

Sep 12, 2008
We have the Big 12 1st team QB coming back and a proven backup in Illingworth who has another year in the system and didn't burn his redshirt this year. Gundy's son behind him, and yeah, several offers out. We have one of the best QB situations in the country. :pistols:
Looks like you spoke to soon.. Apparently Ilingsworth has hit the portal.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
Ah still stuck with him. Nothing big on the horizon giving you an impression of a bright future for the program?

Is that a legit statement, do you honestly.... do you truly feel that osu has one of the best qb situations in the country?

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Ah still stuck with him. Nothing big on the horizon giving you an impression of a bright future for the program?

Is that a legit statement, do you honestly.... do you truly feel that osu has one of the best qb situations in the country?
"Stuck" with the QB who beat all but one team in the B12 plus Notre Dame last year? Yeah, I'll take him every day of the week, and hopefully for 2 more years.

Stinks to lose Illingworth but it's understandable. He will be a good QB somewhere.

Gunnar Gundy wasn't recruited much because he made it clear he was going to OSU, but he was a VERY good and productive High School QB at the 6A level. State Championship Game two years in a row as a junior and senior, threw for 7,689-yards w/ 90 touchdown passes and just 12 interceptions. You never know...

4* 2022 Garret Rangel is enrolled.

Will probably go shopping in thr portal or take another QB this coming year.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
New year, new coach at OU.. wait.. retread U. Trying old DCs worked to perfection last time.

Anyway.. hearing interesting rumors at DC for OSU. Would hiring Derek Mason impress you goons? Or is it only good if we bring back a past DC? Drop a comment below!
You really want to get into a coordinator debate?

Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
"Stuck" with the QB who beat all but one team in the B12 plus Notre Dame last year? Yeah, I'll take him every day of the week, and hopefully for 2 more years.

Stinks to lose Illingworth but it's understandable. He will be a good QB somewhere.
Ah, I'm pretty sure if we broke down the whole schedule, we wont find too many games that osu won because of sanders. if they had the typical osu defense, do you think they win all those games? be honest.

Sucks for you guys though, the osu offense will be limited so long as he is behind center. I hope he sticks around 2 more years too! Because that would mean recruiting at qb is still pretty meh. If he is starting in 2023, there's a problem in stillwater.

Gunnar Gundy wasn't recruited much because he made it clear he was going to OSU, but he was a VERY good and productive High School QB at the 6A level. State Championship Game two years in a row as a junior and senior, threw for 7,689-yards w/ 90 touchdown passes and just 12 interceptions. You never know...

4* 2022 Garret Rangel is enrolled.

Will probably go shopping in thr portal or take another QB this coming year.
Gundy has some real nice stats to be sure. There has to be a reason why he wasnt highly recruited , and i dont think it's just because of wanting to play at osu. Last I looked he isnt even on scholarship there, which is a bit weird to me. Sure his dad is rich but walk ons are limited on a ton of things that scholarship kids get.

You dont just intentionally limit opportunities even if you know where you want to go. You still want as many options as possible, because you just never know. There's plenty of coaches kids who didnt play for dad in college for one reason or another. I suspect if he had offers from all the annual contenders, he'd have loved it and might not have had to walk on to play for dad.

I'd definitely be in the portal. Plenty of talent there every year

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
You really want to get into a coordinator debate?

Really?

I wasnt too impressed with Roof as DC, but then again, he'll really just be running the Venables defense at the end of the day. but what does my opinion matter? The #1 LB in the '23 class likes him a lot

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
We all know whose defense that is. It’s not Roof’s. He’s pretty much an analyst with a title. He’s enough to impress both Dabo and Brent. The defensive recruiting has been absolutely fire here recently. The offer list is insane.

Also, if Spencer was all that, you’d have a Big 12 championship this year. You remember you had the ball at the end of the game and were stopped short on 4th down. And Spencer threw 4 picks. He’s not winning you games. The defense did.

And that’s about to change again. Mason is gonna command money. Let’s see if you guys can pay someone.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Ah, I'm pretty sure if we broke down the whole schedule, we wont find too many games that osu won because of sanders. if they had the typical osu defense, do you think they win all those games? be honest.

Sucks for you guys though, the osu offense will be limited so long as he is behind center. I hope he sticks around 2 more years too! Because that would mean recruiting at qb is still pretty meh. If he is starting in 2023, there's a problem in stillwater.
And I'm pretty sure if we broke down the whole schedule, we won't find many games that OSU lost because of Sanders. Perhaps one. The offense was very conservative especially early in the year so there weren't eye-popping numbers like Gundy's QBs usually put up. But we won, and won, and won...and Sanders improved along the way. Baylor had his number but otherwise his QB play was good enough to be the recognized as best in the conference and his rushing ability was a huge difference maker. Tell me who is going to have a better starting QB in the Big 12 next year?

Gundy has some real nice stats to be sure. There has to be a reason why he wasnt highly recruited , and i dont think it's just because of wanting to play at osu. Last I looked he isnt even on scholarship there, which is a bit weird to me. Sure his dad is rich but walk ons are limited on a ton of things that scholarship kids get.

You dont just intentionally limit opportunities even if you know where you want to go. You still want as many options as possible, because you just never know. There's plenty of coaches kids who didnt play for dad in college for one reason or another. I suspect if he had offers from all the annual contenders, he'd have loved it and might not have had to walk on to play for dad.

I don't know enough about the Gundy situation to comment on all that. And you know even less. Very glad to have him on the roster!

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010

And I'm pretty sure if we broke down the whole schedule, we won't find many games that OSU lost because of Sanders. Perhaps one. The offense was very conservative especially early in the year so there weren't eye-popping numbers like Gundy's QBs usually put up. But we won, and won, and won...and Sanders improved along the way. Baylor had his number but otherwise his QB play was good enough to be the recognized as best in the conference and his rushing ability was a huge difference maker. Tell me who is going to have a better starting QB in the Big 12 next year?

I don't know enough about the Gundy situation to comment on all that. And you know even less. Very glad to have him on the roster!
That’s just it though, by thinking that, you’ve basically already relegated him to game manager. And that’s just a nice way of saying he has a low ceiling and he does just enough to not lose. That’s why their offense is going to remain limited. Despite some really good play makers around him. Imagine if you had Mason Rudolph this last season. I’d probably bet sanders loses his job to a better quarterback, because if he doesn’t then that just wouldn’t be good for offensive potential. And unless they can put out another top-five defense again, not going to probably lead to a lot of wins. But I could be wrong, he could have some crazy transformation this off-season. In my opinion, unless you bring a Georgia like defense to the table, you really need a dependable play maker at QB to win.

I would be very surprised to see him out perform Dillon Gabriel next season. I will even make you a deal. Remember this, you will receive a gift l from me if Sanders has a better season than Gabriel. Injuries aside

It’s always cool having coaches kid on the roster. If he plays he could he a fan favorite

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
That’s just it though, by thinking that, you’ve basically already relegated him to game manager. And that’s just a nice way of saying he has a low ceiling and he does just enough to not lose. That’s why their offense is going to remain limited. Despite some really good play makers around him. Imagine if you had Mason Rudolph this last season. I’d probably bet sanders loses his job to a better quarterback, because if he doesn’t then that just wouldn’t be good for offensive potential. And unless they can put out another top-five defense again, not going to probably lead to a lot of wins. But I could be wrong, he could have some crazy transformation this off-season. In my opinion, unless you bring a Georgia like defense to the table, you really need a dependable play maker at QB to win.

I would be very surprised to see him out perform Dillon Gabriel next season. I will even make you a deal. Remember this, you will receive a gift l from me if Sanders has a better season than Gabriel. Injuries aside

It’s always cool having coaches kid on the roster. If he plays he could he a fan favorite
No, I was phrasing the same as you to prove a point. He's clearly more than a game manager, but our coaching staff is smart enough to realize that with a great defense and a great running back, you can get 12 wins without doing our usual high powered passing attack.

Despite not needing to go vertical, Sanders' yardage total was only ~400 yards shy of what Rattler and Williams did COMBINED.

1000% willing to take Sanders over Gabriel.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010

No, I was phrasing the same as you to prove a point. He's clearly more than a game manager, but our coaching staff is smart enough to realize that with a great defense and a great running back, you can get 12 wins without doing our usual high powered passing attack.

Despite not needing to go vertical, Sanders' yardage total was only ~400 yards shy of what Rattler and Williams did COMBINED.

1000% willing to take Sanders over Gabriel.
I think he’s not much more than a game manager. It’s a matter of semantics how much more he is, but he is just Okay. Like garoppolo. Which ironically is also when he tends to fail the 49ers.

See how he played against Notre Dame? That was one hell of a game, that’s what they need out of him to be successful. But he has too many Baylor type of games so he’s really just a game manager because all they needed out of him was to do enough not to lose. Until they needed him most of course.

He’s never going to be that guy who just wins the game for you. Unless he plays like he did at that bowl game. He would be unstoppable if he played like that every week.

He may have played 400 yards or so less than the Oklahoma QBs, but let’s be honest, the whole season was disjointed and this was probably the worst offense Oklahoma has had since 2014- ironically also the last time they beat Oklahoma. Weird how they seem to steal wins during down years.

I understand, you want to take the girl that you brought to the prom. But Gabriel is a different cat, so it’s on.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Retread U.

We literally hired one of if not the best defensive minds in the game.

The only thing retread here is you guys thinking Gundy’s turned a corner.

You are absolutely precious with all your defense of a never has been defensive coordinator. It reminds me of when good old Lincoln Techified the program and even had your team wearing Radar Rash unis when Iowa State did some spanking in Norman. You were all Cleopatra then as well. How sweet these strolls down memory lane are when one sees the same thing happening again but so many questions. How will your new coach work in purple or orange on the unis? How can we help you to deal with the reality of worshipping a stepping stone football program? We are here to help TG, we see your cries, we just want to walk you through all this. Now tell us what other tat besides the sunburst belly button tat you have been trying to self remove.

Last edited: