1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Berry Tramel - Newsok: 2011 and 2017 Cowboys football teams have similar looks

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Jostate, May 14, 2017.

1. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

http://newsok.com/2011-and-2017-cowboys-football-teams-have-similar-looks/article/5548892

A tall drink of quarterback with a big arm. A big-time receiver. A veteran offensive line. Some promising defenders. Picked high in Big 12 football but still behind the hated Sooners.

2017 in Stillwater? Yes.

But also 2011.

OSU football's greatest season, the Big 12 title team that beat Andrew Luck and Stanford in a rousing Fiesta Bowl, came six years ago, and in the offseason, those Cowboys quite closely mirror what we see from the 2017 Cowboys.

Brandon Weeden then, Mason Rudolph now.

Justin Blackmon leading a receiving corps of Josh Cooper, Tracy Moore, Isaiah Anderson and Josh Stewart then; James Washington leading a receiver corps of Marcel Ateman, Jalen McClesky, Chris Lacy and Tyron Johnson now.

Levy Adcock, Lane Taylor and Grant Garner blocking then; Zach Crabtree, Brad Lundblade and Marcus Keyes now.

Markelle Martin, Jamie Blatnick and Justin Gilbert defending then; Chad Whitener, Tre Flowers and Jordan Brailford defending now.

“There are a lot of similarities,” coach Mike Gundy said. “I hope it turns out that way.”

How it turned out was a 12-1 season, a No. 3 finish in all the polls and the conference championship, marred only by an overtime loss at Iowa State.

Those 2011 Cowboys, coming off an 11-2 season in which they routed Arizona in the Alamo Bowl, were picked third in the Big 12, narrowly behind Texas A&M but well behind OU and was ranked ninth in the preseason AP poll. The 2017 Cowboys, coming off an 11-2 season in which they routed Colorado in the Alamo Bowl, figure to be ranked second in the Big 12, behind OU, and somewhere between seventh and 11th in the preseason polls.

“I think there's a lot of truth to some carry-over,” Gundy said. “History tells you there are times when teams play very well in a bowl and then don't start the season well, and then there are times where they finish strong and do start the season well. For us, my personal opinion is there is carry-over.”

Especially when an NFL prospect is taking the snaps from center. Weeden was all-Big 12 in 2010 and eventually was taken in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Rudolph has been really good for two straight seasons and is projected as a possible first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

“Brandon was 26 or 27 years old, so he had that maturity from an age standpoint,” Gundy said. “Mason has a lot of reps, good demeanor, and personality, all of those things. He's been great. One thing you always worry with players of that stature is if they can stay committed to the game at the level they are now instead of bypassing that mentally to the level they think they're going to be at next year. He's done really well with that.”

The schedule offers one small difference in 2011 and 2017. Quality of opponent is similar — Tulsa in both years, coming off 10-win seasons, plus Arizona ('11) and Pitt ('17) — but the Pittsburgh game is on Heinz Field's riverbanks. That could be dicey. However, the Big 12 doesn't seem quite as imposing as it did in 2011, either in teams or quarterbacks, when Texas A&M had Ryan Tannehill, Baylor had Robert Griffin III, Kansas State had Collin Klein, OU had Landry Jones and Texas Tech had Seth Doege.

In September, the 2011 Cowboys won 30-29 at A&M in the S-E-C Ya game, and the season was ignited.

“Once we got into the latter part of September and early part of October when we started playing conference games, and we were blowing people's doors off, I thought, 'we are pretty good,'” Gundy said. “Then you get into cruise control, don't mess it up, don't get in their way, don't overcoach them, let them play.

“When you're playing teams in the league that know you like we all know each other in this league and you're winning by three and four touchdowns, pretty easily, then I thought we were pretty good.”

Who knows if the 2017 Cowboys can repeat that 2011 season? But the similarities are striking.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  2. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 WeaselMonkey
    A/V Subscriber

• Like Like x 4
    • LOL LOL x 3
  3. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Either that or he wanted to generate a few more clicks and comments.

4. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 WeaselMonkey
    A/V Subscriber

agreed.

5. Okieleaks

Okieleaks Wrangler

Screw Iowa State.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Sutton4ever

Sutton4ever Cowboy

Going to be a fun fall!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Poke Flyfisher

The difference will that in 2011 we could have beaten uo twice. Don't think there's anyway we can do it in 2017.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. petropoke

petropoke Sheriff

Yeah, lets beat them once before worrying about twice.

9. Paddytap288

Paddytap288 Deputy

Very possible OU doesn't go to the Big12 champ game. They lost a lot of playmakers.

10. Paddytap288

Paddytap288 Deputy

Offseason is so boring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Functianalyst

Functianalyst Deputy

It's definitely going to be an interesting one. Similarly, K-State is being compared to the 2012 team in Colin Klein's 2nd year.

12. Kenny Orange Powers

You're right.

13. Kenny Orange Powers

I still remember the 2011 Kstate game going down to the wire. They had to give me the defibrillator at the buffalo wild wings afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PJ-OSU

PJ-OSU Cowboy

They ran all over us all game and then at the end... incomplete pass. I figured we were losing for sure since they effortlessly drove down the field as both teams had all game. My face at the end was something like this...

[​IMG]

Then this.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. CPTNQUIRK

CPTNQUIRK I'm Your Captain!
    A/V Subscriber

Earthquake should have taken care of that.

16. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Never understood why the wizard would throw (I think) 3 times in a row at the end when they ran successfully so many times.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sutton4ever

Sutton4ever Cowboy

K-State should have a nice team this year again. Klein had a special run there. That Barnes (I think that's him) as the up and coming RB is going to be a load. Is there any real concern about Snyder's health for the fall?

18. Philranger

Philranger Territorial Marshal

They got 1st and goal at the 5 with 12 seconds left and 1 timeout. They tried a fade to the back of the endzone to Lockett on first down and there was only 5 seconds left. Then they used their timeout after that to talk things over. I think anyone would have a hard time calling a run in that situation.

Plus on the last play they had 2 receivers run to essentially the same spot so there was some obvious confusion.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Okcpokefan

Okcpokefan Sheriff

The average margin of victory was over 24 pts a game in 2011. I will take any comparison to that.

I will go to my grave saying we were the best team in the country that year. Screw the SEC and ESPN. :glare:

• Like Like x 4
  20. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

BTW, this game was a big turning point in our season and our program history:

In September, the 2011 Cowboys won 30-29 at A&M in the S-E-C Ya game, and the season was ignited.

We went 3-0 nonconference, but most thought things would change when we got into the Big 12. On the road, in one of the toughest places to play, behind 20 - 3 at halftime, we rally to a huge win.

• Like Like x 3