Better start looking for a Sept 3rd opponent...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
Theres a reason Stitt was using "available hospital beds" as his "go to" metric for re opening.

Its because he had them, and was always going to have them readily available because of the rooms prepared at OSU and OU.

They used the time that they weren't doing elective surgeries to prepare enough hospital beds to be able to re open under the CDC guidleines.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I used
Obviously the 600 cases a day is a statewide number a d is 100% correct.

The % of hospitilizations in Tulsa is 100% correct information as is the rest of the numbers in my post.

And.....
If you think 5-18 year olds are going to wear masks all day in school, then you're not in touch with reality.

Hell....we cant even get their parents to wear a mask for 30 minutes to go into Wal Mart.

Nothing I posted is drama....

Its all statistical information based on facts that are 100% accurate

And....
I'm not disputing the not that not doing elective surgery helped, but they didnt plan to convert the rooms at OSU and OU, they did it.

My son helped with it.

That added 1000's of potential hospital rooms and is a huge reason why elective surgeries were allowed to resume almost immediately after the rooms at OSU and OU were finished being converted.

Because, after that was done, after adding all those rooms, they had enough rooms to place elective surgery patients.
We converted the beds to be ready in case we needed them...we didn't need them, not even close.
Why can't I expect students to wear mask...you have to wear them on airlines or they will not allow you to fly on their airline again. OSU students should be told they have to wear them during class or they will be kicked out of school. Simple fix. I just flew on American, full fight, but with mask required of EVERYONE the entire route of over 4 hours...EVERYONE did it. This isn't hard if people are told to in situations where it's required with penalty if you don't . I do feel that School and Sporting events should strictly require it this year only.

IMHO, the use of the term "superspreader events" IS a term made up in the media to cause events that could be safely held with mask and distance requirements to be canceled...IMHO that IS the very definition of "drama." I'm sure that wasn't your intention....right?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
We converted the beds to be ready in case we needed them...we didn't need them, not even close.
Why can't I expect students to wear mask...you have to wear them on airlines or they will not allow you to fly on their airline again. OSU students should be told they have to wear them during class or they will be kicked out of school. Simple fix. I just flew on American, full fight, but with mask required of EVERYONE the entire route of over 4 hours...EVERYONE did it. This isn't hard if people are told to in situations where it's required with penalty if you don't . I do feel that School and Sporting events should be strictly require it this year only.

IMHO, the use of the term "superspreader events" IS a term made up in the media to cause events that could be safely held with mask and distance requirements to be canceled...IMHO that IS the very definition of "drama." I'm sure that wasn't your intention....right?
No.....
My intention is to give 100% accurate information so people can understand what is happening.

Now....in the examples you gave

make everyone on the plane anywhere from 5 to 18 years old, and without their parents

Then....make the flight last 8 hours instead of 4, add an hour taxi commute before and after that flight.

Now...
Do that to 100,00 flights across America, because thats roughly how many Public Schools we have in America..

Now...what punishment are you going to give all these 5-18 year olds?

Where do kids eat breakfast and lunch?

Do you eliminate P.E. even though you're still having football games?

What about recess?

Do kids wear a mask during breakfast, lunch, recess, P..E. and music class?

What about band?

Do they wear a mask during band?

It really sucks that so many kids, business owners, the economy etc... had to sacrifice so much last Spring all for nothing and for us to be in this spot anyways.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
No.....
My intention is to give 100% accurate information so people can understand what is happening.

In the examples you gave

Now....make everyone on the plane anywhere from 5 to 18 years old, and without their parents

Then....make the flight last 8 hours instead of 4, add an hour taxi commute before and after that flight.

Now...
Do that to 100,00 flights across America, because thats roughly how many Public Schools we have in America..

Now...what punishment are you going to give all these 5-18 year olds?
Well, what's the rate of death for 5 to 18 year olds from this virus, IF they didn't follow the rules?
How does that compare to other viruses that we live with and have lived with for literally centuries?
In a typical year the FAA handles 1.6 MILLION flights a year "across" America. 10% of that number would be roughly 100K plus some.

Detention, up to expulsion for not complying...we are going to have to punish if we cannot get compliance...at least temporarily. The point is that school can't just quit and nor can our economy. We SHOULD move it along it the safest and most normal form possible...NOT quit on it. Wear a mask and social distance...this isn't the end of the world but our over reaction too it seems to think it is.

Nov 14, 2010
Well, what's the rate of death for 5 to 18 year olds from this virus, IF they didn't follow the rules?
How does that compare to other viruses that we live with and have lived with for literally centuries?
In a typical year the FAA handles 1.6 MILLION flights a year "across" America. 10% of that number would be roughly 100K plus some.

Detention, up to expulsion for not complying...we are going to have to punish if we cannot get compliance...at least temporarily. The point is that school can't just quit and nor can our economy. We SHOULD move it along it the safest and most normal form possible...NOT quit on it. Wear a mask and social distance...this isn't the end of the world but our over reaction too it seems to think it is.
Because we've had this kind of attitude that we have to just "move it along", we have put ourselves in a position where we actually arent going to be able to do that.

What about teachers, janitors, admin etc....

They will become target practice for Covid 19

For instance...
In many districts, it has already been announced that if 1 kid tests positive, their entire class will be forced to go to distance learning for an extended period of time.

If overall attendance drops below a certain number, the entire school will distance lear s

Those things are going to happen over and over and over in schools across America.

The data clearly shows that doubling down on the way we handled this thing last Spring and over the Summer is going to be a disaster.

Maybe we'll get lucky and defeat the overwhelming odds.

Lets all hope that happens

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Tulsa County reports right at 10% of new cases becoming hospitalized

With the current 600 or so new cases a day, that's adding 60 hospitilizations a day.

Hospitializations lag a couple weeks from new cases and deaths lag another couple weeks from that.

So...we wont really know the largest impact of this new spike for a while in terms of deaths.

Now....
Thats without having any kind of super spreader event like....
Schools being open and football games or any other such mass gatherings.

If you allow football games to take place, how can you justify not allowing all the other type of super spreader events that have been cancelled?

The reason Oklahoma was in such good shape from a hospital bed count back in March was because they converted the dorms at OSU and OU into hospital rooms.
Plus....we hadn't seen our spike yet.

Our new cases are 10x higher now than they were then.

Take those dorms away, add 10x the amount of new cases per day, about 1000 super spreader events a day with schools, then add 200,000 people at football events on the weekend and the simple math shows how disastrous our hospital situation would quickly become.

The fact that so many people have such a Cavalier attitude towards this thing is why we wasted the entire Spring and early Summer and now are in the biggest cluster yet with this thing.

Basically, Seniors lost their spring events, basketball teams lost their State Tournaments, we lost the NCAA basketball Tournament etc.... all for people to spit in the face of that by not taking this thing serious and doing what needed to be done to make this Fall as safe as can be.

We need to stop characterizing this as a 'spike' in new cases. We have same day, free testing at several locations throughout Tulsa now. Deaths just are not trending up with the increase in new cases, even when accounting for lag time from onset to death. It is pretty obvious that the increase in new cases is due to testing being vastly more available now than at any time during this pandemic, but the media only pushes new case rates, with little to no mention of the plummeting death rate.
1594401238427.png

1594401215155.png

Feb 4, 2016
florida
We could replace them with Arkansas and that would be awesome. This is cray cray of conferences to cancel non-con games already...we have declining deaths nationwide and the Big 10's area peak already past. Silly stuff IMHO.
Rack you just wait until the 18-22 year olds start showing up on college campuses in the fall. It will be like spring break or a Trump rally every weekend. I can see the bars jampacked with teens that have been caged up since March with no one to tell them what to do.It's going to be bedlam in all college towns. I worry for the citizens of these small college towns that have been following guidelines then overrun with millennials that think WHAT ME WORRY?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I have to think this thread is about to get moved. If you want to discuss things like validity of COVID data or assumptions about death rights, there are other threads and forums for that.

Back on topic, I think we don't hear anything definitive about scheduling for another few days or even weeks, but I suspect it will be like dominoes with us and the SEC being the last to fall. ND may have to find a coalition of the willing and play a lot of crap schools. I am not sad.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
Rack you just wait until the 18-22 year olds start showing up on college campuses in the fall. It will be like spring break or a Trump rally every weekend. I can see the bars jampacked with teens that have been caged up since March with no one to tell them what to do.It's going to be bedlam in all college towns. I worry for the citizens of these small college towns that have been following guidelines then overrun with millennials that think WHAT ME WORRY?
There are very few millennials in college, except in grad school.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Stop reading the news and look ONLY at real stats and death rates and then compare them to other pandemics we dealt with in the past and the fact we didn’t shut down to do so. Life ends in death but it’s not worth living if you live the whole thing in fear. A small minority of people who are elderly and/or have underlying conditions should continue to stay home...but why should we let that dictate our economy and way of life for the unforeseeable future? To me it seems stupid to continue to overreact.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I have to think this thread is about to get moved. If you want to discuss things like validity of COVID data or assumptions about death rights, there are other threads and forums for that.

Back on topic, I think we don't hear anything definitive about scheduling for another few days or even weeks, but I suspect it will be like dominoes with us and the SEC being the last to fall. ND may have to find a coalition of the willing and play a lot of crap schools. I am not sad.
While I’m guilty it’s really hard to keep things from going there because the two are so intertwined. Sports are being threatened for covid fear...it is what it is.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2006
I mean, we had zero new cases for several weeks in Stillwater and then just a small portion of students started coming back in June at the same time the bars opened and boom... hundreds of new cases. Can only imagine what it's going to be like when 20,000 more move back in the coming weeks.

Nov 14, 2010
We need to stop characterizing this as a 'spike' in new cases. We have same day, free testing at several locations throughout Tulsa now. Deaths just are not trending up with the increase in new cases, even when accounting for lag time from onset to death. It is pretty obvious that the increase in new cases is due to testing being vastly more available now than at any time during this pandemic, but the media only pushes new case rates, with little to no mention of the plummeting death rate.
View attachment 83214

View attachment 83211
This is a false narrative

25 states are seeing spikes in their “positivity rates,”

Meaning they are seeeing the percentage of people who test positive for the coronavirus increase.

Positivity rates should be under 5% for at least 14 days for an area to be considered to have an adequate amount testing.

Oklahoma's positivity rate is 8%.

The positivity rate for all of America is was down to 4.3% in June, but has now spiked back up to 7.3%

This type of false narrative is why we can't get/haven't gotten this thing figured out any better than we have.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This is a false narrative

25 states are seeing spikes in their “positivity rates,”

Meaning they are seeeing the percentage of people who test positive for the coronavirus increase.

Positivity rates should be under 5% for at least 14 days for an area to be considered to have an adequate amount testing.

Oklahoma's positivity rate is 8%.

The positivity rate for all of America is was down to 4.3% in June, but has now spiked back up to 7.3%

This type of false narrative is why we can't get/haven't gotten this thing figured out any better than we have.
How's the fatality rate looking?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
View attachment 83214

View attachment 83211
You're pushing a false narrative here with your attempt to provide any context to the data.

Cue the "but don't you see the increase in cases??? Gasp!!!" response.:runaway::runaway::runaway:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I mean, we had zero new cases for several weeks in Stillwater and then just a small portion of students started coming back in June at the same time the bars opened and boom... hundreds of new cases. Can only imagine what it's going to be like when 20,000 more move back in the coming weeks.
You had no new cases because it took an act of God to get tested. Now if you have the sniffles or are an athlete who has ZERO symptoms you can get a test. If you work for the university in any capacity you can get a test. Payne County has ONE death, one is too many, but it's still one. Payne county has 78 active cases. Yep its going to go up when you add more people to the equation...it's going to do that. Eventually it's going to lead to herd immunity? Honestly it's going to run it's course...either in the long or short term...Has NYC run it's course? It's numbers seem to point to that. On 4/7 they had 598 deaths...on 7/4 they had 8, they are now down to 2 a day or so. Point being it's going to have an effect, but the effect will be based on population, age, density, underlying conditions, and how much people pay attention to social distancing and wearing mask.

For confirmation...Here's what I'm saying:

Start the school year requiring students to wear mask and socially distance in class, and lines.
Enforce that with strict policies that both the student government and fraternal council and athletic programs all agree upon going in.
Have students sign waivers knowing that if they contract the virus they will hold the school innocent.
Don't allow bars that don't comply to socially distance and mask rules to open or only serve outside until covid number allow them to do otherwise.
Protect older Professors and staff by either allowing them the semester off or proving them with more space to do their job either behind Plexiglas or other way.
Outfit the stadium with more socially distant markings and glass for concessions while putting them in mask and gloves.
close half of the urinals and sinks which will require more socially distancing in lines.
Perhaps limit the capacity in the stands even though I hate to see that happen.
Continue to monitor all cases and prevent the spread.
Conduct some classes, that can be, virtually...but have the majority of them on site.
Start the football season normally requiring mask and temp at games. Ask that people sign waivers to their right to sue for attending games and having something happen including getting Covid-19.
Go win the Big 12!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Are you guys really expecting college players, coaches and staff (maybe 200 people) to stay in 130 different quarantine NBA type bubbles across the country from basically now until potentially January and still travel to play other schools?

I don't see how this works logically or logistically.

I'm also assuming Talladega type attendance? 5000 or so at a game?

That might be an improvement for Kansas :D
They aren’t staying in bubbles now. They are 18-22 year old alpha males. I would hazard to guess that they aren’t quarantining regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I just read a article with jj watt. He said if they make them wear masks to play , he will opt of the season. You think these kids are going to wear masks while playing? You have to think if the NFL makes them wear them to play , The schools, conference and ncaa will follow the NFL.