Big 12 Baseball Preview - Baseball America

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

BGeezy08

It Ain't Easy Bein' BGeezy
Oct 14, 2009
OKC
www.BlakesSportTake.com
Here are the Pokes who made Baseball America's Big 12 preseason lists:

Top Tools
Best Baserunner: Garrett McCain, OF/DH
Best Defensive 1B: Dustin Williams, 1B
Best Changeup: Jensen Elliot, RHP
Best Control: Tyler Buffett, RHP

Top 20 - 2017 Prospects
5. Tyler Buffett, RHP
8. Trey Cobb, RHP
15. Jon Littell, OF
20. Garrett Benge, 3B

Top 10 - 2018 Prospects
3. Jensen Elliot, RHP
5. Jonathan Heasley, RHP
9. Jacob Chappell, SS

Top Newcomers
5. Jonathan Haeasley, RHP
8. Cade Cabbiness, OF
10. Michael Neustifter, C

BGeezy08

Oct 14, 2009
OKC
www.BlakesSportTake.com
Oh. And the Cowboys are picked to finish 2nd in the league behind BA's pre-season #1 overall team, TCU.

The Horned Frogs return almost everyone from their trip to Omaha, and dominate BA's prospect list.

Texas Tech is predicted to finish 3rd in the Big 12.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
The thing I wanna know is. how did TCU get so good at baseball. Until they entered the Big 12 I never heard of TCU being any good at baseball. Is that the case or were they a solid program?

BGeezy08

Oct 14, 2009
OKC
www.BlakesSportTake.com
The thing I wanna know is. how did TCU get so good at baseball. Until they entered the Big 12 I never heard of TCU being any good at baseball. Is that the case or were they a solid program?
Their program started booming a few years before they joined the Big 12.

Over the last 8 years they have won 6 NCAA Regionals, and made it to Omaha 4 of those times.

The last pre-season poll came out today, they are the Consensus #1 team.

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.
Schlossnagle is a pretty good coach/recruiter. Looking at the Wikipedia page. His worst year ever was 29-28 in 2013 (TCUs first year in the Big 12) and finished 6th. Most of the time he has been #1 #2 or #3 in whatever conference TCU was in.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
Schlossnagle is a pretty good coach/recruiter. Looking at the Wikipedia page. His worst year ever was 29-28 in 2013 (TCUs first year in the Big 12) and finished 6th. Most of the time he has been #1 #2 or #3 in whatever conference TCU was in.
Kirk Saarloos is another piece of the puzzle and a big part of the reason their recruiting has really taken off. It will be interesting to see how much longer they can keep him.

To the point of how TCU got so good, there's also been a debate that's been growing about how those smaller private schools (TCU, Vandy, Rice, etc.) have an advantage due to big endowments and smaller enrollments, which allows them to supplement the 11.7 scholarship cap to a degree that most of the public schools can't match. None of that is meant to discount Schloss, Corbin, etc. and their coaching abilities.