Big 12 expan.....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Why is everyone obsessed with this topic. The Big 12 teams are getting much more money with the current 10 teams they have than they would otherwise. Is it bad for the league long term?? I don't know but it aint gonna happen for a few years if ever so why even talk about it?

Not just you but everyone. It gets old. We didn't add Louisville. It ain't gonna happen now for a while if ever.

jbug

Deputy
Jan 21, 2009
Three that seem like they have something to bring to the table are: Memphis, Cincinnati and Louisville plus ?? Houston , MAYBE ? The first three would sure beef up our Basketball strength . I'm just not sure where we could get the biggest bump and TV exposure for: revenue, recruiting advantages, and get our collect brand out there nationally for the Big 12 ,and NOT just Texass?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Why is everyone obsessed with this topic. The Big 12 teams are getting much more money with the current 10 teams they have than they would otherwise. Is it bad for the league long term?? I don't know but it aint gonna happen for a few years if ever so why even talk about it?

Not just you but everyone. It gets old. We didn't add Louisville. It ain't gonna happen now for a while if ever.
The 8 Big 12 teams that get a full share get plenty of money from the TV deal but that all changed in 2015-2016 when TCU and WVU become full members. Big 12 teams will be very fortunate to not be in last place amongst power 5 members after this season. Our TV deal is insignificant compared to the other four conferences, and it's not going to change for at least three years.

OSU should have jumped when they had a chance. We also better hope that the next round of expansion happens before Boren retires from OU... Otherwise we may be on the outside looking in while OU goes to the SEC.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Annnnndddddddd it summer .............................

Please someone go watch the summer workouts and give us an update, please????

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX

People are obsessed because it is fun. The potential matchups or possibly renewed rivalries always ignite the imagination.

Talk is talk.

Jun 24, 2011
There doesn't appear to be two institutions out there that would enhance our financial picture with additional tv sets to even bring this topic up. We aren't going to add two just to do it unless they bring enough financial benefit to enhance the payouts to schools rather than lower them.

It is doubtful that any Eastern team mentioned can add that much value and I doubt BYU can add that much unless they are willing to get rid of their own television network which is what the conference ought to do with Texas.

This conference allowed the perceived haves to dictate to the perceived have nots and now they have to live with that precedent set. As long as so-called conference "partners" privately believe they are superior and act accordingly securing additional benefits for themselves that other conference members do not have then this will be more a marriage of convenience rather than one of true benefit for all members. That means it will always have the potential to implode because there is no love lost when there is an uneven playing field for conference members.

Aug 7, 2006
Because we expanded into West Virginia, we've limited our ability to reach out to teams out west.
There is only one team out west we would consider and we won't consider them anymore for several reasons and WVU is only one of them.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
I think we should add USF and UCF. Those schools would be able to recruit their own turf better as power conference schools and away trips to Florida would be a blast. Would give us a big share of the Tampa and Orlando TV market and a small footprint into Miami and Jacksonville's market. Those schools would draw better as Power 5 members than as AAC members. Florida is also football crazed like Texas.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
What we should be doing is working on our exit strategy for when the conference inevitability blows up a few years down the road. Anything else is a waste of time.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
There doesn't appear to be two institutions out there that would enhance our financial picture with additional tv sets to even bring this topic up. We aren't going to add two just to do it unless they bring enough financial benefit to enhance the payouts to schools rather than lower them.

It is doubtful that any Eastern team mentioned can add that much value and I doubt BYU can add that much unless they are willing to get rid of their own television network which is what the conference ought to do with Texas.

This conference allowed the perceived haves to dictate to the perceived have nots and now they have to live with that precedent set. As long as so-called conference "partners" privately believe they are superior and act accordingly securing additional benefits for themselves that other conference members do not have then this will be more a marriage of convenience rather than one of true benefit for all members. That means it will always have the potential to implode because there is no love lost when there is an uneven playing field for conference members.
This thread should have been locked up after this post.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I disagree. I think before the eastward expansion, both BYU and Boise State were viable options.
Yes, I'm sure the dozens of Boise State television sets would have definitely made their partnership worth it.

Rixaroo

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
For those who think the B12 is thriving, here's a recap for the 2014-15 sports:

Football - Only Power 5 conf without representation in the Playoff
Men's Basketball - 2 teams in Sweet 16 - None in Elite 8
Women's Basketball - 1 team in Elite 8 - None in Final 4
Baseball - 1 team in Super Regionals - Only 3 teams in tourney
Softball - 1 team in Super Regionals - None in WCWS

NFL Draft - 3 B12 players taken in the first two rounds.

Pathetic year. Awful.

Aug 7, 2006
I disagree. I think before the eastward expansion, both BYU and Boise State were viable options.
Not really. We wanted BYU, but they played hard ball. Apparently we wanted Air Force, but they didn't think they could compete in the conference. I'm sure we looked at Boise State, but they are not a good fit at all.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
For those who think the B12 is thriving, here's a recap for the 2014-15 sports:

Football - Only Power 5 conf without representation in the Playoff
Men's Basketball - 2 teams in Sweet 16 - None in Elite 8
Women's Basketball - 1 team in Elite 8 - None in Final 4
Baseball - 1 team in Super Regionals - Only 3 teams in tourney
Softball - 1 team in Super Regionals - None in WCWS

NFL Draft - 3 B12 players taken in the first two rounds.

Pathetic year. Awful.
Those who can't see the cracks forming have their head in the sand.