Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Gottlieb is getting hard roasted by Goons on Twitter for this. Evidently, if you aren't bowing down and just calling this amazing and that the Sooners are totally awesome for doing it then you're garbage. Heaven forbid someone disagree with the Squat Media.

https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status/1421548344099282947?s=20

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Gottlieb is getting hard roasted by Goons on Twitter for this. Evidently, if you aren't bowing down and just calling this amazing and that the Sooners are totally awesome for doing it then you're garbage. Heaven forbid someone disagree with the Squat Media.

Why is "refusing to go without OSU" the right thing to do?

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
If they’re undefeated going into our game, I contend they’ll play the COVID card, bow out of it, then dare the committee not to include them in the playoffs.
Makes perfect sense considering we beat them every year and ruin their hopes of a Big 12 title. I personally think that is the main reason they jumped to the SEC. Castiglione knows they will never win a title being in the same conference as the Pokes. Hell, it looks like they'd rather play Alabama and at least have a chance at winning.

Aug 21, 2007
Payne County, America

I agree, ou isn’t the brother keeper, though most if not all Pokes should be upset with the way this was done. If the table were turned and it was oSu negotiating a deal to join another conference I would hope we would let all parties involved our intention instead of doing business like it was dark ally deal. Aside from athletics competition our relationship with university of Oklahoma is very close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Makes perfect sense considering we beat them every year and ruin their hopes of a Big 12 title. I personally think that is the main reason they jumped to the SEC. Castiglione knows they will never win a title being in the same conference as the Pokes. Hell, it looks like they'd rather play Alabama and at least have a chance at winning.
Yeah, I was scratching my head at his post as well. Somehow, I don't think they're scared of us.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
So when we beat OU in Nov are we chanting SEC?
Really? We are looking for a viable place to land and right now there is none. Instead of worrying about OU we had best be kicking rears and taking names this whole season.

Think of 2021 as a beauty pageant and few points for uniform/helmet selection Or coach’s haircut. Team must show play with precision and fans have to show up, sell out BPS for every game. Just win and make folks notice And we will be okay.

Nov 18, 2011

He’s exactly right. The ou prez is just trying to save face a bit when he says they explored all options for OSU to come as well. Of course you won’t hear this in Oklahoma, but the SEC primarily wanted the huge brand of Texas so they wielded the bigger share of the negotiating power. But if ou and Texas said we’ll come but with OSU and Tech, the SEC would not have turned them down. Likely ou said, well we might need OSU, Texas or the SEC said no, ou said where do we sign.

Doug and others at OSU, even very high up, had bought into this “Partnership” or “State first” mentality. I’ve always maintained the despise for ou and everything they do. Good for ou = bad for OSU, and vice versa.

Nov 18, 2011
I agree, ou isn’t the brother keeper, though most if not all Pokes should be upset with the way this was done. If the table were turned and it was oSu negotiating a deal to join another conference I would hope we would let all parties involved our intention instead of doing business like it was dark ally deal. Aside from athletics competition our relationship with university of Oklahoma WAS very close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FIFY

Nov 18, 2011
Because they have paraded around for years that they were partners, the universities were tied, the admins had great relationships, blah blah. Then you turn around and do a back room deal with a rival of both of ours. A deal that yes is very good for one side, but clearly leaves the other in a very poor position and could do long term damage if we end up in the AAC or something like that. Put that scenario in the business world and you would call that a pretty sleazy partner you had.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
What do you feel would be a reasonable timeline to be in a Power 5 (or 4?) Conference?

I feel going from initial interest to realigning with a new conference may take longer than a week.
Took the squats 6 months. We'll be lucky if we learn our fate in that short of a time. We are waiting on real FU money type decisions and the negotiations around that don't happen overnight.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Took the squats 6 months. We'll be lucky if we learn our fate in that short of a time. We are waiting on real FU money type decisions and the negotiations around that don't happen overnight.
I agree, I think this might be a bit. And honestly, it isn’t as much as a no-brainer revenue wise as some of the realignment moves made in the past. Athletic Competition wise is it a no-brainer, unfortunately that’s not enough. So the other conferences are going to do their homework, and I think they’ll take their time. I hope not, I think this could really hurt recruiting while things are so up in the air.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Because they have paraded around for years that they were partners, the universities were tied, the admins had great relationships, blah blah. Then you turn around and do a back room deal with a rival of both of ours. A deal that yes is very good for one side, but clearly leaves the other in a very poor position and could do long term damage if we end up in the AAC or something like that. Put that scenario in the business world and you would call that a pretty sleazy partner you had.
Exactly why I laugh when I read comments about a strong OU/OSU means a strong OSU/OU; or, when one benefits so does the other.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
The first 26 minutes are OU/Texas, realignment, B1G options. It's spot on. These guys think the B1G raids the 4 AAU members in the ACC. These 4 teams (UNC, GT, UVa, and Duke) are no where near as big as OU & Texas, which is why I figured they would go for USC & Oregon. As they point out, AAU research dollars dwarf CFB dollars.

Bigger Ten #062 | Realignment Restlessness | Penn State to the ACC? - YouTube

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Well, because I didn't think it worth asking about, but Ok, what did you mean by that? Do you seriously think they would try to get out of playing us?
Well, thanks for asking. Because I suck at humor and was trying to be 95% joking. That’s it, flat out failed. However, there is a small 5% belief that still lingers in my mind which tells me I’d be surprised if they tried something like that, but not shocked.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Is that really true? Have they "paraded around for years" saying all those things? I truly don't know--I'm asking. Because there is definitely no love lost between the fan bases. I've never seen two sides who hated each other more than OU/OSU. Administrations are always going to put a positive spin on relationships, but to me, no one should be that surprised that this happened--even if it wasn't handled well.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Is that really true? Have they "paraded around for years" saying all those things? I truly don't know--I'm asking. Because there is definitely no love lost between the fan bases. I've never seen two sides who hated each other more than OU/OSU. Administrations are always going to put a positive spin on relationships, but to me, no one should be that surprised that this happened--even if it wasn't handled well.
I can say from experience...the two universities were “joined at the hip” under the Boren/Hargis administrations. The idea was that our goals were United. We wanted to advance the state as a team.
You can see from my past posts how I think ou crawfished on this deal.

if you have not complained to your legislator, congressman and the governors office about this, I encourage you to do so. Your objection will do nothing to change the position of ou on realignment...but it will help our university now when we fight with ou over appropriations, bond issues and the like...and we will. They told us to go pound sand on a huge part of our funding and p.r. Budget. We should respond in kind.

Sep 24, 2011
Only about 20 teams in the nation are marketable in the semi-pro type conferences being pushed. The other 100 and some NCAA members need to send them down the road and let them do their big money thing by themselves.
The NCAA has power through its championships in all sports. Make the SEC have their own. The big boys have the money, but the little guys have the numbers. Kick them out.