Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
I can say from experience...the two universities were “joined at the hip” under the Boren/Hargis administrations. The idea was that our goals were United. We wanted to advance the state as a team.
You can see from my past posts how I think ou crawfished on this deal.

if you have not complained to your legislator, congressman and the governors office about this, I encourage you to do so. Your objection will do nothing to change the position of ou on realignment...but it will help our university now when we fight with ou over appropriations, bond issues and the like...and we will. They told us to go pound sand on a huge part of our funding and p.r. Budget. We should respond in kind.
I live in Texas so cannot participate, but I’m generally curious how many OSU grads are in the legislature compared to OU grads. Anyone know?

Apr 27, 2006
Would be interesting to know but don't know what it would tell as I am sure many go to the dark side (ou) for business expediancy ala Trabor, Mayes et al.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Only about 20 teams in the nation are marketable in the semi-pro type conferences being pushed. The other 100 and some NCAA members need to send them down the road and let them do their big money thing by themselves.
The NCAA has power through its championships in all sports. Make the SEC have their own. The big boys have the money, but the little guys have the numbers. Kick them out.
The NCAA has no championship in bowl level football. That might be the ticket, get NCAA to sanction everybody else and run the football viewing contract away from ESPN

Jan 1, 2011
tx
Just listened to a couple of Big pod cast and their opinion is the Big will go after USC, UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, Washington, Stanford. They think that talks with Pac 12 AAU schools are on going and many are serious about leaving. If this happens we are pretty much out of options.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Is that really true? Have they "paraded around for years" saying all those things? I truly don't know--I'm asking. Because there is definitely no love lost between the fan bases. I've never seen two sides who hated each other more than OU/OSU. Administrations are always going to put a positive spin on relationships, but to me, no one should be that surprised that this happened--even if it wasn't handled well.
i am an old guy and have never heard anything that remotely resembled any talk of a “partnership” about anything, athletic or otherwise.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
i am an old guy and have never heard anything that remotely resembled any talk of a “partnership” about anything, athletic or otherwise.
There are a number of academic partnerships. Funding for higher education and improving the state's educational reputation are shared interests. Plus, they academically complement each other and do better when they support collaboration.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Just listened to a couple of Big pod cast and their opinion is the Big will go after USC, UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, Washington, Stanford. They think that talks with Pac 12 AAU schools are on going and many are serious about leaving. If this happens we are pretty much out of options.
None of those schools have an LHN where ESPN will be incentivized to pay their exit fees, especially when paying them to go to another conference where Fox owns rights to several of the marquee matchups and the conference's network. The PAC 12 TV deals run through 2024 as well. It could happen, but it will take a few years. I also don't know how much Stanford adds the the B1G in terms of viewership and Colorado adds next to nothing.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Look.

And if you’re Vandy you’re gold through 2033. You’re not going anywhere wo a Brinks truck.
not too sure that far down the road.....

If they'd introduce a relegation and promotion system aka the English Soccer Leagues (and secluded other sports from conference alignments), as in relegating the bottom 2 or 3 teams downward and promoting top teams on yearly basis, Vandy will be in the proper place in no time.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
this would kill interest in the sport for most who follow football because they’re alumni. This is going to be an attempt at the nfl for the states without a good pro draw (Alabama, Ohio, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc.). Maybe I’m in the minority but watching my school play some relegated football league won’t cut it. And I have no interest in watching a school I didn’t attend. There are plenty of other things I can do on a Saturday.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX

If they'd introduce a relegation and promotion system aka the English Soccer Leagues (and secluded other sports from conference alignments), as in relegating the bottom 2 or 3 teams downward and promoting top teams on yearly basis, Vandy will be in the proper place in no time.
I’d could get behind this if they opened it up to the rest of the field. I follow soccer rather closely, and the people who win consistently are the ones who spend the most money. But the ones who never get relegated are the ones who consistently have balanced budgets and profitable franchises. I’ve always though college football was more akin to euro soccer than any other sport. The champions league tournament is a thing of beauty.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Only about 20 teams in the nation are marketable in the semi-pro type conferences being pushed. The other 100 and some NCAA members need to send them down the road and let them do their big money thing by themselves.
The NCAA has power through its championships in all sports. Make the SEC have their own. The big boys have the money, but the little guys have the numbers. Kick them out.
NCAA doesn’t sponsor the football championship. All other sports, yes.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I just hope that Oklahoma State lands in a good conference and that we are, as Alumni, still very interested despite all these changes. I'm afraid it's lost any innocence it had left and may end up being as watered down as NCAA Baseball and to a lessor extent, Basketball. It's always been a thing of pride for those of us who follow only OSU, even if, for no other reason except that it's where we went to school. All this extra "garbage" just feels like home wreaking. I do feel like OU isn't keeping their school in mind, but only their football program...not a surprise, however, because this has been a problem for that school for a long long time.

Dec 9, 2013

Won’t happen. As it’s always been and especially this go round, it’s about protecting and securing the benefits of the helmet sticker.

I understand the sentiment and desire for relegation and promotion but college football is American capitalism at its core and uo might be getting ready to see that 1st hand where they are finally competing for resources (players) w other teams that are more incentivized and capable of securing those resources. It’s the same reason why the OKC Thunder will have to win a championship via the draft and not through free agency. College football is 100% free agency. High school players are free to go to the highest bidder. And now w open transfer they can do it again. And before I get jumped on saying schools don’t pay players lets look no further than Coach O’s recent comments to a civic group where he openly encouraged businesses owners to open up their wallets in the form of NIL. He knows what’s at stake.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Just like the Olympics, used to big a really big deal. National pride of our amateur vs yours.

once they took away the pro restrictions, I haven’t watched. Haven’t shouted “USA, USA” in years

College ball will be the same

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I actually think this is the only chance to save amateur football. By dividing off the farm league. Just curious why @osucowboy79 didn’t like that. Was hoping to read a response.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I just hope that Oklahoma State lands in a good conference and that we are, as Alumni, still very interested despite all these changes. I'm afraid it's lost any innocence it had left and may end up being as watered down as NCAA Baseball and to a lessor extent, Basketball. It's always been a thing of pride for those of us who follow only OSU, even if, for no other reason except that it's where we went to school. All this extra "garbage" just feels like home wreaking. I do feel like OU isn't keeping their school in mind, but only their football program...not a surprise, however, because this has been a problem for that school for a long long time.
Funny timing. I actually just capped the $1000 fee to become a lifetime alum member. Got my box of goodies. Shocking how fast $35 a year goes.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
What i listened to was a YouTube from Ohio State interest not a podcast. He had a person in the know on the phone. He said that the Big expansion committee met about 6 months for the first time in a long time. He said that coincides with ou and ut meeting with SEC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqL1XIdcbpc&ab_channel=BuckeyeScoop

He said that the Big expansion committee met about 6 months for the first time in a long time. He said that coincides with ou and ut meeting with SEC.
Interesting if true. That would mean dominoes will likely continue falling until only the SEC and B1G remain as the Power 2. B1G is now probably just waiting for dust to settle on uo/tex. ACC could be next domino when B1G takes 2, which would make the rest of the ACC susceptible to the SEC.

It will be really telling if B1G goes after PAC12 in any way.

Jan 14, 2006
I actually think this is the only chance to save amateur football. By dividing off the farm league. Just curious why @osucowboy79 didn’t like that. Was hoping to read a response.
Because we've invested over a Billion dollars in our football and basketball programs and facilities since Boone and we're 4th in the nation in total championships in all sports. I don't support any proposal where we're not in the highest level of competition.