Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 20, 2013
I don't disagree that it'll self-segregate. But I also don't think that an amateur division could officially exist given the presence of NIL.

As weird as it seems, I think the absolute best case is some sort of relegation system that can behave more as a spectrum as opposed to a binary semi-pro vs amateur.

Realistically, what we're headed towards is whatever system is the most profitable for ESPN and the remaining 60-80 or so universities fighting for whatever scraps fall on the floor. In practice, I see the outsiders basically functioning as a farm system for the big leagues with players transferring to the more powerful/wealthy organizations ASAP. Who knows on tv rights...? I guess Fox and non-Disney companies get whatever is leftover.

At this point, I think this borders on some kind of anti-trust action against Disney given the massive consequences for educational, athletic, and financial dealings of universities across the country, all so ESPN can profit.
Disney bought fox for $71 Billion in 2019.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Disney bought fox for $71 Billion in 2019.
They only bought 20 th century fox , I believe films

Disney ends the historic 20th Century Fox brand - BBC News

2) Fox Corp still exists, independent from Disney. It’s primarily a news and sports company now, though it does still own the Fox TV network.
Rupert Murdoch isn’t going anywhere (well, beyond the fact that he’s very old and is increasingly turning control of his company over to his sons). Always a newsman at heart, he’s now almost completely out of the entertainment business.

What’s left for Murdoch are his many, many publications (the Wall Street Journal among them) as part of the company News Corp, and then the various holdings of Fox Corp, including Fox Sports, Fox News, and the Fox TV network. (That last one is still at Fox Corp because no one corporation can own more than one broadcast network, and Disney already owned ABC.) Also — and this is neither here nor there, but I find it fascinating — former House Speaker Paul Ryan is now on the company’s board of directors.

The fortunes of Fox Corp, then, are tied ever more tightly to its conservative-skewing news network, its access to an NFL package, and reality television.

The Fox TV network, in particular, is going to suffer somewhat for losing access to the Fox TV studio, which produced most of the shows that actually air on it, but it has also locked down The Simpsons and its other animated comedies for the next one to two years. (It can also continue to buy programming from any studio it wants, including Disney/Fox. That’s just a less lucrative option. For more on why that’s true, read this.)

And as the success of The Masked Singer showed earlier this year, the Fox network can still launch a big show when it wants to. It’s just unlikely to invest heavily in expensive scripted programming when it could do just as well (if not better) with sports, cable news blowhards, and reality spectacles.

Dec 3, 2012
As I've been thinking this through, I see three possibilities for the future of College Football:
4 Super Conferences​
2 Mega Conferences (Remaining brand names migrate to a single conference opposite the SEC)​
1 Mega Conference (SEC adds every brand name available)​

4 Super Conferences is clearly the best hope for OSU, since we are the most attractive team outside the remaining P4 and would likely get an invite eventually.

2 Mega Conferences is less desirable then 4. If the two conferences have an "arms race," then OSU is among the most attractive teams remaining to get into the Texas Market.

1 Mega Conference would be terrible for OSU. Why would the SEC ever consider adding OSU to it's roster of teams? It would be like the NBA expanding to Tulsa - it makes no financial sense.

To be honest, if I'm a brand name school outside the SEC (Ohio State, Clemson,...), I don't see 4 super conferences as a viable long-term option. I would be on the phone with the other big names schools trying to decide whether to collectively oppose the SEC or join them.

This newest report, if true, tells me that Clemson and FSU are thinking exactly this. That's probably bad news for OSU...

Jun 20, 2013
As I've been thinking this through, I see three possibilities for the future of College Football:
4 Super Conferences​
2 Mega Conferences (Remaining brand names migrate to a single conference opposite the SEC)​
1 Mega Conference (SEC adds every brand name available)​

4 Super Conferences is clearly the best hope for OSU, since we are the most attractive team outside the remaining P4 and would likely get an invite eventually.

2 Mega Conferences is less desirable then 4. If the two conferences have an "arms race," then OSU is among the most attractive teams remaining to get into the Texas Market.

1 Mega Conference would be terrible for OSU. Why would the SEC ever consider adding OSU to it's roster of teams? It would be like the NBA expanding to Tulsa - it makes no financial sense.

To be honest, if I'm a brand name school outside the SEC (Ohio State, Clemson,...), I don't see 4 super conferences as a viable long-term option. I would be on the phone with the other big names schools trying to decide whether to collectively oppose the SEC or join them.

This newest report, if true, tells me that Clemson and FSU are thinking exactly this. That's probably bad news for OSU...
Yeah, the more this goes, I think a big10/sec mega college football league that operates like the NFC/AFCis eminent. The only thing that works in our favor is if each one is 24+ teams each. If they settle on less than that we're screwed.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Yeah, the more this goes, I think a big10/sec mega college football league that operates like the NFC/AFCis eminent. The only thing that works in our favor is if each one is 24+ teams each. If they settle on less than that we're screwed.
Even at a final 48 I think we are a stretch. Good on results, brand, excitement, rivalry, other sports, and past viewership. But do we really bring a market, do we really drive eyeballs? I doubt it. We are the second most popular team/school in a small market state. There's just no getting around that.

I think our best shot at this point is to get into the PAC12 ASAP, then hope the ACC GOR holds for roughly the next 10 years, and that either the PAC is folded in as a block at that point or the B1G wants a strategic foothold in the Texas market (which I'm not sure we provide).

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Get out while you can!
Yes, but why is Bowlsby putting this out there? To hasten the demise of the conference? More likely this is a high estimate as posturing for the possibility of a lawsuit/settlement. $14M x 8 teams x 3 years left on the contract means damages of $336M. He just set the starting figure for negotiations with ESPN.

This makes me think the hit to the remaining teams without OU/Texas is probably actually less. But that doesn't matter too much, a remnant Big 12 will be viewed as the top non-Power conference at best, still a huge step down for all of us.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Still unknown if in a Mega would existing Conf members get a pass ?
if this is all about $$$ how does SEC keep Vandy, Miss State, Arky, etc ?
or the BIG keeping Purdue, Northwestern, or Rutgers?

if you’re going to add based on $value seems like you’d purge too. Maybe would have to disband SEC and start something new ?

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Yes, but why is Bowlsby putting this out there? To hasten the demise of the conference? More likely this is a high estimate as posturing for the possibility of a lawsuit/settlement. $14M x 8 teams x 3 years left on the contract means damages of $336M. He just set the starting figure for negotiations with ESPN.

This makes me think the hit to the remaining teams without OU/Texas is probably actually less. But that doesn't matter too much, a remnant Big 12 will be viewed as the top non-Power conference at best, still a huge step down for all of us.
He was at the Texas congressional hearing answering questions. These are some of the quotes from him.

Nov 18, 2010
and then go sue ESPN..
ESPN is owned by Disney. And Disney is owned by people who print their own money. If Disney wants all sports restructured, they'll restructure them and everyone will bow their heads. (Example - constant political statements in sports since last year)

Short of an actual revolution, (Not the corporate media sponsored kind), Disney/ESPN will continue to do whatever they want to the sports world.

I assume college presidents/AD's/other political figures are trying to figure out what Disney/ESPN are going to do next and then they'll claim ownership of that decision before ESPN/Disney make it public.

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
amazing how the quality of the college is determined more by how educated they were prior to attended the school, and not by how educated they are when they graduate.
EXACTLY !!!
ESPN is owned by Disney. And Disney is owned by people who print their own money. If Disney wants all sports restructured, they'll restructure them and everyone will bow their heads. (Example - constant political statements in sports since last year)

Short of an actual revolution, (Not the corporate media sponsored kind), Disney/ESPN will continue to do whatever they want to the sports world.

I assume college presidents/AD's/other political figures are trying to figure out what Disney/ESPN are going to do next and then they'll claim ownership of that decision before ESPN/Disney make it public.
Certainly in the anti-trust category.
Monopolies are bad. Always have been.

I never talk politics on this site, or any sports talk site.
Haven’t for 20 years.
But it is relevant here:

A main philosophical goal of a democratic government, IMO, is to provide a level playing field for everyone. And that means breaking up monopolies when they occur. I wished everyone that graduated in college had to look at our country’s history of breaking up monopolies (like Standard Oil of New Jersey). It;s been done several times in this country. And….It’s a growing problem right now in many areas (like communications) and it’s becoming a real problem now in the TV/Entertainment world.

And that’s what I’m thinking of here - OSU has no where else to go to compete because ESPN has decided who is going to be shown to the nation week after week after week. No wonder it’s the same schools every year at the top. Exposure brings Dollars. And Dollars bring athletes and championships.

The Dollar difference, the revenue Gap, is going to explode. And we are on the outside looking in right now.

Jul 31, 2008
Alot of monopolies get straightened out due to good old free market dynamics.
Cell service, Internet service, browsers, streaming services, shipping, heck even on-line shopping alot of stores have their own sites vs Amazon.

Lets see if it works out here too. Might take a while as folks decide they don't want to spend their Saturday's watching the same SEC teams play week in and week out.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Not sure if this has been posted before but seems relevant to the shifting college landscape. OSU individually needs to be creative when it comes to content.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexre...-tv-ratings-will-likely-still-suffer-in-2021/
If I am in the athletic department, I'm looking to the video game space to promote the brand. Things like skins, themes, tokens, NFT’s that can drive ratings. The article above mentions Twitch, that’s a great idea to drive brand recognition. Provide codes in the twitch stream that unlock the OSU branded video game content. Hell, even can be tied to the uniforms for that week. We need to be cutting edge. Call the Call of Duty folks today!

I’d also be looking at a personal marketing service that aims to place athletes with NIL deals. The players will continue to have the leverage as they are the content. Providing the best opportunities to the players will continue to translate to wins on the field.

Last edited: