Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1423024602888933381?s=20
Letter-to-DOJ-Re-ESPN-BIG-XII-8.4.21.pdf (senate.gov)

The Honorable Merrick Garland Attorney General U.S. Department of Justice 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20530 Dear Attorney General Garland, As you may know the University of Texas in Austin and the University of Oklahoma in Norman have announced they do not intend to renew their contract with the Big XII Conference. They have also been formally invited to join the Southeastern Conference (SEC). What is less apparent are the allegations that ESPN is encouraging and working to ensure this move occurs. A recent news article suggests that the Big XII has “evidence that ESPN was manipulating all this.” 1 The Big XII Commissioner Bob Bowlsby even sent a cease-and-desist letter to ESPN, accusing it of attempting to get the teams to the SEC. Bowlsby claims that ESPN has “actively engaged in discussions with at least one other conference regarding that conference inducing additional Members of the Big 12 Conference to leave the Big 12 Conference.” 2 Another article reports that “ESPN acquired the prized SEC on CBS package, giving them 100 percent of the SEC’s television rights.”3 Because they have the television rights to the SEC they will benefit from the additions of Texas and Oklahoma immensely. Conveniently, the ESPN-SEC deal begins in 2024 and their contract expires with the Big XII only a year later when the teams are slated to join the SEC. While the terms of the contract are unknown to me, it’s important to note the U.S. Supreme Court has decided that the exclusive right to televise all league games is a violation of anti-trust laws. While the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 was passed to overturn this decision for professional football, college football broadcast packages are not subject to the antitrust exemption in that law. I write today to ask that the DOJ investigate ESPN’s role in the potential destruction of the Big XII Conference and if any anti-competitive or illegal behavior occurred relating to manipulating the conference change or ESPN’s contractual television rights. Sincerely, Roger Marshall, M.D. United States Senator 1 https://themercury.com/k_state_sports/from-the-publisher-on-the-big-12-lets-start-with

Apr 27, 2006
I contend he did. Two things we know for sure about Boone: he loved OSU and he hated losing to OU. Therefore, I contend he would not leave this earth without at least also leaving a wad of secret cash to be used to help the cause, whether it be pay for a top tier football coach, or anything else necessary to advance our cause.
Hope you are right cause it looks like we are really going to need a huge pile of it.

Aug 16, 2012
I contend he did. Two things we know for sure about Boone: he loved OSU and he hated losing to OU. Therefore, I contend he would not leave this earth without at least also leaving a wad of secret cash to be used to help the cause, whether it be pay for a top tier football coach, or anything else necessary to advance our cause.
If he did, would it not have to be disclosed and therefore public knowledge? Not necessarily that TBP left a gift, but from the school's side that they received a gift. Even if through a trust account, I would think anything of significance cannot just be kept in a Manilla envelope taped under a desk drawer without reporting it and or logging it in a ledger that would be discovered upon audit.

Apr 27, 2006
If he did, would it not have to be disclosed and therefore public knowledge? Not necessarily that TBP left a gift, but from the school's side that they received a gift. Even if through a trust account, I would think anything of significance cannot just be kept in a Manilla envelope taped under a desk drawer without reporting it and or logging it in a ledger that would be discovered upon audit.
Don't know I sadly have not had to deal with these issues, but reporting might not have to be made until monies are given to university.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Oh yea, I know. It’s mostly wishful thinking, but in a small way I’m holding out hope there’s something out there to surprise us…besides what we’re dealing with now trying to find a home. :)

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Since Boone left us a bunch of money, can we just buy that AAU accreditation?
I had assumed he would leave a sizable amount to OSU, but after he passed it seems like things just went quiet. He did so much for OSU that I’m certainly not wanting to come across as ungrateful, he owed OSU nothing more. But I was always a bit surprised that we just never really heard anymore about how his estate has been dispersed.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
POV: You come here multiple times a day to skim the comments for any news updates… Knowing damn good and well it will likely be months before anything real happens.

Aug 16, 2012
Don't know I sadly have not had to deal with these issues, but reporting might not have to be made until monies are given to university.
Oh yea, I know. It’s mostly wishful thinking, but in a small way I’m holding out hope there’s something out there to surprise us…besides what we’re dealing with now trying to find a home. :)
Who knows, he may have given something to Holder with instructions to give a little now and then.

Great guy. Hate how discussion seems to always revolve around his money and what he did, could, might give us. Makes me feel like my aunt Carole at my grandad's funeral where everyone wanted to take her out back and take turns stomping her. (Queue scene from "Airplane!")

Aug 16, 2012
I had assumed he would leave a sizable amount to OSU, but after he passed it seems like things just went quiet. He did so much for OSU that I’m certainly not wanting to come across as ungrateful, he owed OSU nothing more. But I was always a bit surprised that we just never really heard anymore about how his estate has been dispersed.
Only thing I had heard was his ranch near Pampa was still on the market for a cool $220,000,000

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Since Boone left us a bunch of money, can we just buy that AAU accreditation?
I really think the Boone connections kept UT from doing this in his time. He threw money around and rubbed elbows with a lot of people who mattered down there in North Mexico.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Not the kind of tradition they have elsewhere. Not bias, I grew up in california, so i know how they feel about college football out west. It's blase. Usc is the biggest thing they have going, in a metro area of 19 million people the biggest college program on the west coast, with two championships to boast about in the last 20 years, and they still rarely if ever sell out. I'm only saying it's just different than how football is treated in other parts of the country. Look how irrelevant usc has been in the national landscape of this sport (how irrelevant the whole PAC has been).

Even some of the dead weight in the sec is steeped in tradition and history. Tennessee has lots of history and has sucked basically since Manning left and they're usually still top 10 in ticket sales and consistently recruit top 15 classes. that awesome stadium, the vol navy, smokey, rocky top. ole miss? they havent had a winning season since 2016, but they have these awesome offenses and somehow still recruit better than most of the big 12. the have the grove and are famous for their tailgating atmosphere, and oxford has a ton of history and it's quite picturesque. everyone knows hoddy toddy. Even arkansas has a pretty lively atmosphere, arduous fan support and traditions people around the country would recognize. Most non casuals would recognize mississippi state's egg bowl with mississippi and everyone has to know about their cowbells.

It feels like football is life in the south, but football is like your side chick on the west coast. As if they feel like they have better things to do. In small towns in texas and through the south, the whole town shuts down on a friday night for the local team's ball game. You'd probably see that in rural oregon maybe.
I've been in the San Jose area of California for business during the NFL season. It is hard to find a real sports bar. So I think they are pretty blasé when it comes to any sport. Definitely a lower density of sports followers per 1000 people on the West Coast compared to the South.

But my argument was about tradition. It seems that I place a higher value on the traditions of being a school that wins championships and produces Heisman Trophy winners than a school that has a special drink they have on a game day, wear a special outfit, or have a special cheer. Some of the schools that hang their hat on those types of traditions tend to have traditions in losing too.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Uhhhh, my wife worked for HP, then Agilent when they spun off, then Avago when they spun off. Granted she was not on the west coast, but she had the best job in the world. Demand Planner coordinating chip (for cell phones) manufacturing fabs in Fort Collins and Malaysia. Had to be on call 24/7 because of the Malaysia thing, but worked maybe five hours a day. Want time off? Take it. She used to come home for 2-3 hour lunches every day. Her boss ran a side company during business hours where he would be gone all but a couple hours in the morning and a coworker golfed every day at noon. At least from my experience, I think you may have a couple companies in there that do not fit your narrative.
Happy for her.

My HP days were the Happy Days. Then they became Agilent, too agile that I can't cope with the changing pace. Then they became Avago , and I had to go.

I then joined Intel, and I left them too...

Ups and downs. Not that I don't enjoy but I felt staying up at night for US online meetings, and juggling Malaysia works and Japanese meetings in the days took tolls on me.

US driven product design, Malaysia operation product developments and driving Japanese enabling technologies were just too much for me.