Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
if there was ever a time for bowlsby to let ‘me hang would be now and go big. You gotta raid the other conferences. Raid the SEC and Get Arkansas. Go get Nebraska back and make a hard push for Arizona and Arizona state. He’s gotta go after big fish. If he doesn’t and we dink and dunk with city schools and directional schools, the big xii is a glorified American conference.. If he doesn’t go big, he might as well start looking for another job.
We cannot do this thanks to their Grant of Rights agreements. Well that and the fact that we have NOTHING to offer those teams as an incentive to join us. If OU and UT go through with this (and all indications are they will) then the Big 12 is either dead as the remaining members scramble for other power conferences or the conference will sink to the level of group of 5 and hope to snag some of the better group of 5 members and become the best conference that is not a power conference. Those are the ONLY options.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Crazy thought. What if this ultimately leads to the Big 12 and the SEC merging? I know most will say "The SEC would never do that because it would reduce the value of the product". I don't think that is true. Ultimately full consolidation will lead to way higher payouts for everyone.

Anyway, I know this is unlikely, but I'm pretty sure consolidation is the ultimate end game here. Just a question of when that happens I thought we would have been there already.

Last edited:

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Crazy though. What if this ultimately leads to the Big 12 and the SEC merging? I know most will say "The SEC would never do that because it would reduce the value of the product". I don't think that is true. Ultimately full consolidation will lead to way higher payouts for everyone.

Anyway, I know this is unlikely, but I'm pretty sure consolidation is the ultimate end game here. Just a question of when that happens I thought we would have been there already.
Umm that is basically what is happening, the SEC is merging with the remaining members of the Big 12 that they feel worth merging with. I mean they will have Mizzou, ATM, OU and UT and the rest will be left to the wind...

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Nebraska lost their AAU status the year after they joined the B1G due to something around their medical school and the type of research. Also, I believe it has been reported that had that been the case a year earlier, they would not have received an invite.
The fell in research standings because AAU stopped counting USDA money toward research grants (USDA grants arent peer reviewed in the same way as other agencies). The med school thing is only somewhat related because they would have had more than enough research output/prestige had their med school been under UNL (what they now call Nebraska) instead of the setup that's more like OU and OSU (med school is governed by the same regents but different president/chancellor). KU and KUMC have the same setup, but KU's research output and awards are high enough without USDA funding.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I don't know about that, there are a number of land grant schools in the Big 10. Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin have sizeable ag departments.
That they do, but their ag schools are considerably different in research basis from us because their ag schools aren't the base research of their university, however Iowa State is a serious ag research university that is the main research school on campus.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
This likely isn't happening. On top of everything else (mostly TV money issues) UT will get rejected. OU could go, but not for three more years and in that scenario, we might go with them. In that scenario, KU and ISU likely go to the B1G and WVU goes to the ACC. UT is then stuck making a Texas conference. That still probably won't happen.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-sec-break-gentlemen-agreement-league-schools

Sep 9, 2013
TV rights are through 2024. That would be the most likely time.
I read on one of the Texas sites they likely wouldnt leave until after the 2024 season to avoid lawsuits and paying gor exit fees.

That will effectively keep the other 8 big 12 members chained to the big 12 until 2025 also.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
This likely isn't happening. On top of everything else (mostly TV money issues) UT will get rejected. OU could go, but not for three more years and in that scenario, we might go with them. In that scenario, KU and ISU likely go to the B1G and WVU goes to the ACC. UT is then stuck making a Texas conference. That still probably won't happen.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-sec-break-gentlemen-agreement-league-schools
I would love nothing more than for Texas to be the.biggest laughingstock in all of this and get their just desserts.

Sep 9, 2013

Texas is gone. 100 percent gone. if not to the SEC, than to the BIG or ACC. they will not remain in the big 12.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Texas is gone. 100 percent gone. if not to the SEC, than to the BIG or ACC. they will not remain in the big 12.
UT to the ACC seems like it could happen. Conference realignment started last time because Mizzou wanted to join the B1G. Nebraska got the invite instead. Seems like history might rhyme here.