Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
If they didn’t make it one, it kept it one after the exodus of CU, NU, aTm, and Mizz. Without them, there’s no realistic teams that could be added to the existing 8 to keep the B12 a P5 level conference.
I agree. If we added teams, we might never officially be referred to as a "Group of" conference, but we would never be taken seriously as a power conference, and would be left out of any real playoff discussions.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If the Big 12 remains as is, and adds BYU, Cinn., Memphis, and UCF, it does not drop to a group of 5 conference.

Texas and OU didnt make the big 12 a power 5 conference. WVU was the flagship school for the Big East, which had a seat at the table. that conference has Cuse, Pitt, rutgers, cinn, louisville, uconn, and temple.

No way no how does big 12 drop to g5 status with WVU(15th all time in wins, several major bowl wins, played in title game twice, and currently has a top 25 recruiting class, Oklahoma State, who has had great success on football field, also has a top 25 recruiting class, TCU, who has won major bowls and has been a fixture in top 25(as has Oklahoma State), Texas Tech, who is just as good as cuse or pitt.

Throw in UCF, who is better than almost everyone in the ACC and pac, BYU who has a huge following and a national title, and that conference has a seat at the table. It is way, way better than the old big east which had a seat at the table.

I mean we lost the cash cow, Texas, but who thinks Texas would win the new big 12 with byu, ucf, and cinn added? WVU has a winning record v texas, kstate, tcu, and oklahoma state have owned Texas the last decade.

So yeah, we make less cash, but the "little 8" plus BYU, Cinn, UCF, and memphis(market, recruiting, fedex, and hoops) would put 2-6 losses on texas every year if texas took memphis' place.
I mean no offense to WVU because they are a good program, but Miami was the name brand that originally made the Big East a P5 conference and once they left, the conference went down hill and no longer exists as a football conference at all now. Don't kid yourself, it was on it's way to being G5 even with WVU and adding TCU....there's a reason those two schools jumped to the Big 12 when offered. I'm glad you brought up the Big East because that is exactly the blueprint for what we can expect to see happen to the Big 12....the conference will start losing prestige until it is no longer a P5 OR the remaining members who can, will join a conference that isn't on life support thereby sealing the leagues fate.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I've never been there for a game, but I've always heard that Nebraska has one of the best fanbases on the planet. I would love to see OSU join the B1G so that we can start playing them again.
Last game in Stilly, we had already beat them and this one was turning into a beating. I’m in 107 second row from the field. Our kicker is getting ready for a FG and suddenly, someone hits an air horn. Everyone turns to see this man. A cornhusker in throwback gear and his hands in the pockets of a letterman’s jacket. There were 4 of us on him in seconds. He had an air horn, key chain laser pointer and a whistle. He got to keep the jacket. I know their fans are some of the greatest but this one was the greatest jerk.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
I mean no offense to WVU because they are a good program, but Miami was the name brand that originally made the Big East a P5 conference and once they left, the conference went down hill and no longer exists as a football conference at all now. Don't kid yourself, it was on it's way to being G5 even with WVU and adding TCU....there's a reason those two schools jumped to the Big 12 when offered. I'm glad you brought up the Big East because that is exactly the blueprint for what we can expect to see happen to the Big 12....the conference will start losing prestige until it is no longer a P5 OR the remaining members who can, will join a conference that isn't on life support thereby sealing the leagues fate.
I agree. We can not trust the big 12 leadership to lead us anymore. The big12 is not even mentioned in these alliance discussions. The leadership has been exposed we need out as soon as possible to the P12, ACC, or B10.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I agree. We can not trust the big 12 leadership to lead us anymore. The big12 is not even mentioned in these alliance discussions. The leadership has been exposed we need out as soon as possible to the P12, ACC, or B10.
I imagine it only took a couple of brief discussions with Bowlsby for them to decide to turn their backs on the B12. How he has remained as commissioner all these years is mind-boggling.

Sep 9, 2013
None taken. You are right. After Miami and VT left, there was strong talk of removing the Big East's BCS Bowl status. And then WVU beat the SEC champion Georgia in the Georgia Dome. That ended all such talk. WVU followed it up by blasting OU in the Fiesta Bowl, and racking up 70 points in an all-time beatdown of Clemson in the orange.

WVU has had a piss poor coach(DH) for almost all of its time in the big 12. let's see if it can regain its feet with neal Brown. BTW, maybe it is Oklahoma State's turn to carry the torch. How can the little 8 plus 4 be called not worthy if Oklahoma State runs the table in the expanded playoff? Or UCF, which ill remind you beat Auburn @ Auburn when Auburn was good. The big 12 could add Army and Navy just for football. Eyeballs.

East WVU, Army, Navy, Cinn, Memphis, UCF, Iowa State
West BYU, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Texas tech, Kstate, Kansas

9 conf games. everyone in your division, plus rotating 3 from other division.

Navy and army have huge followings, and clout in DC. lol if the SEC tries to screw the Big 12 out of the playoffs.

All about streaming. My gut tells me army and navy would add a lot of overseas streaming, Amazon would like that.

College football all-time power rankings: The 30 best programs ever - Page 9 (fansided.com)

Apr 27, 2006
I imagine it only took a couple of brief discussions with Bowlsby for them to decide to turn their backs on the B12. How he has remained as commissioner all these years is mind-boggling.
Easy, he made nice with the little 8, and was a bag - hit - yes man for ut and 0u.

Jul 31, 2008
So as much as I think it was underhanded and unethical, this is exactly why 0U/uT acted in secrecy like they did. If ACC/BIG/PAC (and Big12) knew about their intent, they would have met 6 months ago to figure out how to keep SEC from poaching the brand names from each Conference.
Since they already did it to Big12, no reason to include us in conversations now on how to prevent SEC from poaching other brand names.

Jul 31, 2008
I am not sure conference realignment has much to do with our future success. After this year, we will never be anywhere near competitive with Texas. in 2022, I expect they will have football player payroll of 20+ million dollars. If there are any players on our team that they want, they will have them though with the money they can throw around they will be picking off better players from elsewhere.

We will not have the payroll to compete with the top 30 schools, maybe the top 50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly. At the end of this year, uT head coach will go to Alumni Association and say "I need you to get 20 donors that are willing to cough up $250K-$500K each for some players. Here's my target list of 20 players. Have them contact them and offer $$ for NIL and enter the portal and we'll offer a scholarship. Thus we'll buy the best team out there".

No doubt this is where College Football is headed.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2008
BYU has already eliminated the 85 scholarship limit. The cap of 85 scholarship and 130 overall should mean 45 non-scholarship. But BYU sponsor is paying their way so essentially now the scholarship limit is raised to 130.

BYU to recruit- you won't get an official scholarship but we've got someone to pay all your expenses, so same as a scholarship. You in or you gonna walk-on to some other program ?

Jul 31, 2008
We need to get with Thayer Evans and ask him to release the names of all those OSU anonymous donors that were throwing out $100 bills on the plane after an away game loss . . . . . . .We need you now !!!

Aug 16, 2012
I am not sure conference realignment has much to do with our future success. After this year, we will never be anywhere near competitive with Texas. in 2022, I expect they will have football player payroll of 20+ million dollars. If there are any players on our team that they want, they will have them though with the money they can throw around they will be picking off better players from elsewhere.

We will not have the payroll to compete with the top 30 schools, maybe the top 50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Schools have no financial input on NIL. NIL, NFT, etc, is not administered by the schools. The kids can now profit from their NIL by engaging outside companies to endorse/sponsor them. Granted a school like Texas has a lot more potential NIL donors, but there will not be a "football player payroll" within any university.

Again, the team I see making the most noise that is quiet right now is SMU. There are more rich and politically-connected Texans with SMU ties per capita than any other school in the region. They are going to fire up the Pony Express 2.0 with NIL endorsements out the ying-yang.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Schools have no financial input on NIL. NIL, NFT, etc, is not administered by the schools. The kids can now profit from their NIL by engaging outside companies to endorse/sponsor them. Granted a school like Texas has a lot more potential NIL donors, but there will not be a "football player payroll" within any university.

Again, the team I see making the most noise that is quiet right now is SMU. There are more rich and politically-connected Texans with SMU ties per capita than any other school in the region. They are going to fire up the Pony Express 2.0 with NIL endorsements out the ying-yang.
That's what scares me about Baylor, they learned from the Methodists and goons. There is nothing, including murder and rape, they won't sanction to win.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
BYU has already eliminated the 85 scholarship limit. The cap of 85 scholarship and 130 overall should mean 45 non-scholarship. But BYU sponsor is paying their way so essentially now the scholarship limit is raised to 130.

BYU to recruit- you won't get an official scholarship but we've got someone to pay all your expenses, so same as a scholarship. You in or you gonna walk-on to some other program ?
How many of these players will get the “training table” and full team resources though? The team will not have any more money to support these players. It will be awesome for them to not pay for tuition, but they still won’t get treated like scholarship athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2006
Lagos, Nigeria
How many of these players will get the “training table” and full team resources though? The team will not have any more money to support these players. It will be awesome for them to not pay for tuition, but they still won’t get treated like scholarship athletes.
Not 'officially'. But how hard would it be to set out the 'leftovers' from the training table when the 'non-scholarship' players just happen to be walking by... Or for trainers, tutors, etc. to be available 'off the clock'...

Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida

From the Tulsa World 2014 regarding OSU:

The NCAA Legislative Council announced rule tweaks and among them was this: walk-ons can receive unlimited meals and snacks in conjunction with their athletics participation. Previously, scholarship athletes got to eat meals at the training table and walk-ons had to scavenge for their own food somewhere else.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

Not 'officially'. But how hard would it be to set out the 'leftovers' from the training table when the 'non-scholarship' players just happen to be walking by... Or for trainers, tutors, etc. to be available 'off the clock'...
From the Tulsa World 2014 regarding OSU:

The NCAA Legislative Council announced rule tweaks and among them was this: walk-ons can receive unlimited meals and snacks in conjunction with their athletics participation. Previously, scholarship athletes got to eat meals at the training table and walk-ons had to scavenge for their own food somewhere else.
I believe the OP is saying the AD may not be able to afford it with reduced earnings