Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Been in my cave a long time.

If the SEC won't take OSU even under certain provisions then OSU and the remaining conference schools need to quickly mount a social media campaign to nix that deal.

Granted that this strategy may be have limited appeal but you should not underestimate the the power of a crowd. The vast majority of people have no power but there's some people in the crowd with immense power.
This may be your best and last hope.

I'm going back into my cave.
Fake fan accounts in Missouri, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Barring large changes like SEC limiting expansion beyond 16 teams, I still think UT gets turned down because SC, Florida, and Georgia don't want that precedent of adding an in state school like that. Combine that with A&M and likely Arkansas and Mizzou not wanting this and you have enough to stop UT on a long term basis. OU is a different story and I can't really blame them.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
I've been simmering on this and it just makes me mad. I've hated college football last for a while now. Only college football games I'll watch is if OSU is playing. To me, the best thing that could happen is if all the 'non blue blood' school just boycotted this league and formed a new one. let the 15 or so bluebloods who run everything go play with themselves. The other schools can form a new league that actually values competition and rewarding teams for their on field play rather than how much money they bring in. I'd watch that league over the other any day of the week. Think of FCS but with better programs. The OSU's, Baylors, Houston, Arizona, Utah, Boise State, etc. all these state schools that run good programs but aren't "blue bloods"

It's so frustrating to see teams who deserve a seat at the table being pushed aside simply because they aren't cash cows.

I guess the other option is for fans of non blueblood schools to boycott everything to do with ncaa football. otherwise they will just continue to push the deserving smaller school to the side

Anyway, done ranting. All this just pushes me more and more toward professional sports.
I share these thoughts as well, maybe have Division 1a with 20 teams that have the highest budgets then have the other 100 teams start a Division 1b with a real playoff system. My only concern is the loss of tv revenue will greatly impact other OSU sports.
Professional sports are an absolute joke, I have no desire to watch any of that.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
I share these thoughts as well, maybe have Division 1a with 20 teams that have the highest budgets then have the other 100 teams start a Division 1b with a real playoff system. My only concern is the loss of tv revenue will greatly impact other OSU sports.
Professional sports are an absolute joke, I have no desire to watch any of that.
I agree with loss of TV revenue - but if you think of all the schools that encompasses... again you aren't talking about Appalachian State... these schools still have a large alumni base. I think it would get picked up by a TV network just fine and just be a competitor to the SECBIG10+. but you're right, still wouldn't have the same kind of TV contracts as the big guys.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The other 8 should be as petty as the whorns and the goons. Immediately release them from all contracts and let them figure out how to get games the next two seasons. Burn 'em down, if they can't play they can't recruit.

Apr 14, 2017
Earth
I've been simmering on this and it just makes me mad. I've hated college football for a while now. Only college football games I'll watch is if OSU is playing. To me, the best thing that could happen is if all the 'non blue blood' school just boycotted this league and formed a new one. let the 15 or so bluebloods who run everything go play with themselves. The other schools can form a new league that actually values competition and rewarding teams for their on field play rather than how much money they bring in. I'd watch that league over the other any day of the week. Think of FCS but with better programs. The OSU's, Baylors, Houston, Arizona, Utah, Boise State, etc. all these state schools that run good programs but aren't "blue bloods"

It's so frustrating to see teams who deserve a seat at the table being pushed aside simply because they aren't cash cows.

I guess the other option is for fans of non blueblood schools to boycott everything to do with ncaa football. otherwise they will just continue to push the deserving smaller school to the side

Anyway, done ranting. All this just pushes me more and more toward professional sports.
Agree with all this except for watching pro sports. I’ll just travel more and spend time with family.

We’ve seen the peak of college football. The traditions, atmosphere of game days, electricity of crowds. From an OSU football perspective, I’m glad I was able to witness the greatest run in our history under Gundy.

The coaches salaries, tv money, price of tickets, etc. has gone off the rails and the money spigot is about tapped out.

Now players are getting paid, open transfers each year. It’s quickly becoming a semi professional organization at least in the power 5 conferences.

Let’s drop the charade of “student athletes” in football and to some extent basketball.

If the success OSU has had in football under Gundy isn’t good enough to be included in this new semi pro organization, so be it. Let Alabama, OU, Ohio state, and Clemson play each other every week.

I truly feel for the “lesser” sports like baseball and wrestling that truly represent the spirit of competition as amateur athletes. I would much rather watch them than whatever college football will probably morph into soon.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
Agree with all this except for watching pro sports. I’ll just travel more and spend time with family.

We’ve seen the peak of college football. The traditions, atmosphere of game days, electricity of crowds. From an OSU football perspective, I’m glad I was able to witness the greatest run in our history under Gundy.

The coaches salaries, tv money, price of tickets, etc. has gone off the rails and the money spigot is about tapped out.

Now players are getting paid, open transfers each year. It’s quickly becoming a semi professional organization at least in the power 5 conferences.

Let’s drop the charade of “student athletes” in football and to some extent basketball.

If the success OSU has had in football under Gundy isn’t good enough to be included in this new semi pro organization, so be it. Let Alabama, OU, Ohio state, and Clemson play each other every week.

I truly feel for the “lesser” sports like baseball and wrestling that truly represent the spirit of competition as amateur athletes. I would much rather watch them than whatever college football will probably morph into soon.
Agree with the last part 1000%. To me thats the most disappointing part of this... how it affects the other sport programs

Apr 7, 2006
Fans of 80% of college football teams have funded the machine that benefits about 10 programs. The committees, polls, media- it's all existed to serve the same schools and that success/exposure generates more. It's a self fulfilling prophesy funded by fans that are silly enough to think they could be the one. Like a lottery where the 90% of the winners are the same.

Rixaroo

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
I wouldn't say "0". There's a pretty solid chance aTm is so afraid of Texas they would run back to the Big XII, ROFL. Honestly, lots of Nebraska/Mizzou/Colorado fans would like to come back, and the big reason they left was Texas. It's definitely not Zero, but it is a LONG shot.
It’s zero man. I don’t like saying it. I have always wished that Nebraska would wake up and want to rejoin. And I thought Arkansas was a great fit, but it ain’t happening. Why in the world would they leave solid footing for what’s left of the B12? It’s zero. No chance whatsoever.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The other 8 should be as petty as the whorns and the goons. Immediately release them from all contracts and let them figure out how to get games the next two seasons. Burn 'em down, if they can't play they can't recruit.
Interesting thought. It would be interesting to see them floundering with only their 3 non conference games to play.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I've only read through like half of this, but wanted to contribute my thoughts. I've stopped freaking out and after taking a moment to read, breathe, and think - here's where I've landed.

I think we're seeing the tip of the iceberg. There will be a huge chain reaction caused by all of this and it's hard to know right now where it will end. I get the freak-out, because we're next door to Patient 0, but the outlook may improve when the chaos shifts elsewhere inevitably. PAC and ACC aren't safe at all... I think right now it's just important to negotiate in good faith and pursue what's best for OSU.

Covid put a pause on the upheaval potential from the transfer rule, and NIL was just the spark needed to light the whole forest on fire. It was always going to begin in the Big 12, or whatever conference Texas is in, which will always be the sinking ship. SEC may be taking a huge liability off our hands.

If you look at the last realignment, Texas was once again the issue. It's always Texas. They ran off CU, Mizzou, Nebbish and the other one I forget. Nebbish regrets moving to the B1G, had their AAU pitch blocked by Ohio State, had open beef throughout Covid, and now their main issue with the Big 12 is resolved. Never say never there... in fact the only reason for Neb to stay put, "stability," is something they will actually have no matter what. Neb will always have options and does not worry about getting stuck in Conf-USA should they ever leave the B1G.

Big 12 could very easily disintegrate, or could emerge a lot stronger from all of this. Imagine if we could get CU and Neb back along with Cincy and/or BYU. Instant power conf. That's the best possible outcome. Worst possible outcome is Big 12 gets desperate and invites SMU, NDSU, UCF and becomes the American Whatever. OSU only needs to jump ship if/when that option gets rolled out.

If we are truly (astoundingly) out of options, then go Independent... don't end up in the same conference as Tulsa. But we're not. We will have options, and some distance between us and Norman isn't a bad one. I hope they enjoy following Texas around the football landscape lol.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
US
I've only read through like half of this, but wanted to contribute my thoughts. I've stopped freaking out and after taking a moment to read, breathe, and think - here's where I've landed.

I think we're seeing the tip of the iceberg. There will be a huge chain reaction caused by all of this and it's hard to know right now where it will end. I get the freak-out, because we're next door to Patient 0, but the outlook may improve when the chaos shifts elsewhere inevitably. PAC and ACC aren't safe at all... I think right now it's just important to negotiate in good faith and pursue what's best for OSU.

Covid put a pause on the upheaval potential from the transfer rule, and NIL was just the spark needed to light the whole forest on fire. It was always going to begin in the Big 12, or whatever conference Texas is in, which will always be the sinking ship. SEC may be taking a huge liability off our hands.

If you look at the last realignment, Texas was once again the issue. It's always Texas. They ran off CU, Mizzou, Nebbish and the other one I forget. Nebbish regrets moving to the B1G, had open beef throughout Covid, and now their main issue with the Big 12 is resolved. Never say never there...

Big 12 could very easily disintegrate, or could emerge a lot stronger from all of this. Imagine if we could get CU and Neb back along with Cincy and/or BYU. Instant power conf. That's the best possible outcome. Worst possible outcome is Big 12 gets desperate and invites SMU, NDSU, UCF and becomes the American Whatever. OSU only needs to jump ship if/when that option gets rolled out.
I'm still not convinced that OU and Texas leave for the SEC. I'm speculating, as I've said earlier in this thread, that both OU and Texas are doing this to get more money from the Big 12. However, if that does happen - probably will - I fear that OSU will forever fade away into obscurity, returning back to pre-Gundy era of a nightmare.

If they do leave, the Big 12 would be the modern-day rendition of Conference USA, or the Big 12 ends and OSU ends up at a non-power conference. OSU does not have the prestige nor big enough fan base to draw interest in inviting OSU to a power conference.

Recruiting will become a disaster. OSU's athletic budget would be utterly devastated. What would become of the basketball program? Boynton is a terrific recruiter, but that could easily change depending on the circumstances OSU will find itself in when OU and Texas leaves.

Lets hope they don't leave for the SEC. Every scenerio would leave OSU in a terrible situation.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2011
I'm still not convinced that OU and Texas leave for the SEC. I'm speculating, as I've said earlier in this thread, that both OU and Texas are doing this to get more money from the Big 12. However, if that does happen - probably will - I fear that OSU will forever fade away into obscurity, returning back to pre-Gundy era of a nightmare.

If they do leave, the Big 12 would be the modern-day rendition of Conference USA, or the Big 12 ends and OSU ends up at a non-power conference. OSU does not have the prestige nor big enough fan base to draw interest in inviting OSU to a power conference.

Recruiting will become a disaster. OSU's athletic budget would be utterly devastated. What would become of the basketball program? Boynton is a terrific recruiter, but that could easily change depending on the circumstances OSU will find itself in when OU and Texas leaves.

Lets hope they don't leave for the SEC. Every scenerio would leave OSU in a terrible situation.
respectfully disagree. If this does go down, we will bounce to more than likely the PAC, who, regardless if we match up with their style, wouldn’t be that bad of a fit, allows Cali to come more into play for recruitment than it already is.

And OSU may not be a blue blood, but gundy/boone/holder-have put a national spotlight on us. At least one bright enough to be picked up by a power 5. I’d say we are sitting a bit prettier than others within the big12.

Jul 9, 2004
I think it's a done deal. And I believe the NIL ruling makes this an easier decision for ou. The national "brands" will attract bigger and better endorsement deals for their players. In addition, the potential brand boost that comes with playing in the SEC enhances those deals even more. I fear the effects of just the conversation about them going to the SEC gives them another added advantage in recruiting. Make no mistake. College football is a zero sum game. The more they get, the less we get.

"Hey 2023 grad year recruit. Come play for us. As a sophomore, you'll be playing in the new SEC Super Power Conference. Oh, and you'll have access to all this "built-in" Big Red Sports and Imports endorsement money." Kinda hard for a 16 year old to turn down.

If this does happen, the BIG Xll should just go on a buying spree and take anybody that will come and rename it the Big Festivus(the conference for the rest of us).

Jul 11, 2007
So i just did a quick little search and it looks like the other P5 conference tv rights deals all expire in 23 or 24.

Between this and NIL, I expect the Big 12 and college football as we know it to be completely changed by the 24-25 season.

Hopefully we are able to stay with OU and Texas or find another way to position ourselves in a good situation.
Really!

Oct 29, 2016
US
respectfully disagree. If this does go down, we will bounce to more than likely the PAC, who, regardless if we match up with their style, wouldn’t be that bad of a fit, allows Cali to come more into play for recruitment than it already is.

And OSU may not be a blue blood, but gundy/boone/holder-have put a national spotlight on us. At least one bright enough to be picked up by a power 5. I’d say we are sitting a bit prettier than others within the big12.
The only reason PAC-12 invited OSU along with OU, was because OU said OU and OSU were a package deal. The PaC-12 adding us doesn't make economical sense. OSU would be another program to split money with. Since OSU has a very small fan base, combined with small market coverage and sparse fans watching OSU on TV, OSU simply adds no value to PAC-12.. same with Big Ten. Same with ACC.

We're all OSU fans, it's easy to view OSU in a much higher value/desirability than the actual real reality. We all want OSU to be nationally respected. Simple fact is.. OSU adds nothing to other conferences.. and dividing the money for an extra team (OSU) that has no substantial value means OSU is in deep trouble if they leave for the SEC. OSU's only hope is for the Big 12 to survive while adding at least 2 power 5 conference members. That isn't gonna happen. Inviting a Houston or a Memphis, for a few examples, would add nothing to the Big 12. It would be much worse conference than it is now.

Jul 11, 2007
So i just did a quick little search and it looks like the other P5 conference tv rights deals all expire in 23 or 24.

Between this and NIL, I expect the Big 12 and college football as we know it to be completely changed by the 24-25 season.

Hopefully we are able to stay with OU and Texas or find another way to position ourselves in a good situation.
Really!

Jul 11, 2007
The only reason PAC-12 invited OSU along with OU, was because OU said OU and OSU are a package deal. The PaC-12 adding us doesn't make economical sense. OSU would be another program to split money with. Since OSU has a very small fan base, combined with small market coverage and sparse fans watching OSU on TV, OSU simply adds no value to PAC-12.. same with Big Ten. Same with ACC.

We're all OSU fans, it's easy to view OSU in a much higher value/desirability than the actual real reality. We all want OSU to be nationally respected. Simple fact is.. OSU adds nothing to other conferences.. and dividing the money for an extra team (OSU) that has no substantial value means OSU is in deep trouble if they leave for the SEC. OSU's only hope is for the Big 12 to survive while adding at least 2 power 5 conference members. That isn't gonna happen.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
The only reason PAC-12 invited OSU along with OU, was because OU said OU and OSU were a package deal. The PaC-12 adding us doesn't make economical sense. OSU would be another program to split money with. Since OSU has a very small fan base, combined with small market coverage and sparse fans watching OSU on TV, OSU simply adds no value to PAC-12.. same with Big Ten. Same with ACC.

We're all OSU fans, it's easy to view OSU in a much higher value/desirability than the actual real reality. We all want OSU to be nationally respected. Simple fact is.. OSU adds nothing to other conferences.. and dividing the money for an extra team (OSU) that has no substantial value means OSU is in deep trouble if they leave for the SEC. OSU's only hope is for the Big 12 to survive while adding at least 2 power 5 conference members. That isn't gonna happen. Inviting a Houston or a Memphis, for a few examples, would add nothing to the Big 12. It would be much worse conference than it is now.
https://www.si.com/college/ucla/news/pac-12-potential-role-in-2021-realignment
Here's a UCLA website saying to add Oklahoma State. Specifically they cite the ratings of an Oregon v. OK State matchup.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/20...gnment-if-texas-and-oklahoma-do-join-the-sec/
Here's a USC website saying to add Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. Specifically states that they shouldn't just add anyone to get to 16, but that OSU and TTU are a reasonable addition because they add value in football.

I could go on, but sometimes the self-flagellating fans should pull their head out and actually take a look around. OSU is good in every program, has top-notch facilities, has shown a willingness to pay competitive coaching salaries, and enjoys support from its fans and alumni. We need to improve our academic standing and Dr. Shrum will deliver that.

It's actually a more narrow and difficult argument to say that every domino will fall against us. "Of all the chain reactions, there isn't a single good thing that could happen for us." Anyone who is so nihilistic should just manifest a better scenario within this Matrix universe.

Back here in Reality, viewing realignment through the lens of TV markets is so 2009. Streaming completely changes the game. In fact, I'd be a little nervous if I was Rutgers and Maryland. The B1G got infinitely more value out of adding Nebraska than from Rutgers. Nobody in NYC says they "gotta get home before the Rutgers game kicks off." LOL

Fun fact #1: In 2019, one of the worst seasons in recent school history, OK State averaged higher TV ratings than every single ACC school except Clemson. I haven't looked to see where 2020 was but I'd imagine behind Clem and ND.

Fun fact #2: While 1945 was a long time ago, it is the last time any Big 12 school besides OU/UT won a national championship. 2011 is a lot more recent, and that was also Stanford's best team ever.

You're saying we bring no value? For a PAC 16? I'd argue we make so much sense for a PAC 16 that it's hard to see 3 more moves of equal merit.

Lastly, right now it feels like we have more to lose than anyone because a bomb just went off 70 miles to the south. I'd actually be a lot more worried if I was absolutely sucking off of a power conference where I didn't belong. Why should Wake Forest and Rutgers be golden while Oklahoma State and Texas Tech end up homeless? Things that don't make sense could get sorted out sooner than later, and that wouldn't be such a bad thing. Nobody is safe unless you're a strong program that could move to another conference, if you wanted or needed.

Last edited: