Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I agree we will play Bedlam, I just disagreed that we'll be able to cut sports to help fund football. To maintain DI status we are pretty much stuck there. Most athletic budgets in Division I sports receive support funding from their general university budget. If we end up with a media deal closer to $15 million, we will probably enter those ranks.

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/ This database is awesome once you get the hang of it.

Tulsa will be on the outs here, especially if the Big 12 makes a bigger expansion move. They will be doing well to have a football team in 2025. They have some very serious budget issues that go far beyond football. https://www.city-journal.org/university-of-tulsa

The Big 12 could take a cautious approach and grab 2-4 teams (I'm a fan of this. Expands as little as possible to max dollars). Or they could try to cut the head off of the G5 and take 8. It would dilute the money, but it would ensure the Big 16 was the final word on a #5 conference.

Or a whole bunch of crap could happen in 2023-2024 and change the whole thing again. I hope that happens, I think chaos is the best thing for us.
oh, I wasn’t disagreeing with you at all. I’m just concerned about where we make up that shortfall. Who gets hurt? Someone will…something important to the student athletes will be cut.

I think we made like 95.3 million in 2019, and spent 95 million. So we’ll be down to about 80 million most likely that we can spend. And then the side effects of being in a lesser conference may kick in. Will season ticket sales drop without at least one of UT or UT-Norman on the home schedule? Corporate sponsors deem the value of a team outside the P4 to be half that of one that is in? Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, just pointing out why we aren’t in a position to drop our most profitable game each season.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I agree we will play Bedlam, I just disagreed that we'll be able to cut sports to help fund football. To maintain DI status we are pretty much stuck there. Most athletic budgets in Division I sports receive support funding from their general university budget. If we end up with a media deal closer to $15 million, we will probably enter those ranks.

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/ This database is awesome once you get the hang of it.

Tulsa will be on the outs here, especially if the Big 12 makes a bigger expansion move. They will be doing well to have a football team in 2025. They have some very serious budget issues that go far beyond football. https://www.city-journal.org/university-of-tulsa

The Big 12 could take a cautious approach and grab 2-4 teams (I'm a fan of this. Expands as little as possible to max dollars). Or they could try to cut the head off of the G5 and take 8. It would dilute the money, but it would ensure the Big 16 was the final word on a #5 conference.

Or a whole bunch of crap could happen in 2023-2024 and change the whole thing again. I hope that happens, I think chaos is the best thing for us.
I think Bedlam, at least for football, is on life support.

What that would mean to keep bedlam alive is that we no longer play Washington State, Georgia, Arizona, Miss State, Florida State, Pittsburgh, Boise State, or Oregon State. Every year it's OU, McNeese, and UAB....

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
It is a billion dollar business, of course they work to include as much data as possible to get the best forecast. No way are we the 16th most valuable brand. If that were so, we would be in the SEC. situation matters, so every SEC big10 etc is more valuable because they HAVE games that draw dollars in their future. Welcome to reality. We need a catalyst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That catalyst has been there all along we, just haven't taken advantage of it. Beat OU, win the conference, get a possible invite to the final four. We don't have blueblood tradition so we have to take advantage of every opportunity that arises. I still say a big time (big game) coach would've made the difference. Just hoping the window of opportunity hasn't closed.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I think Bedlam, at least for football, is on life support.

What that would mean to keep bedlam alive is that we no longer play Washington State, Georgia, Arizona, Miss State, Florida State, Pittsburgh, Boise State, or Oregon State. Every year it's OU, McNeese, and UAB....
depending on our new conference structure once they are gone we may go down to 8 conference games. So we could play them and keep our other commitments.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Unfortunately, if we are in a conference making $40-$50 million less than they are, I don't know what options you think we'll have. We'll need money. If something doesn't change, we'll be making some fairly massive cuts in 2025 unless our general university budget has the room to back fill the media revenue losses.
There is a ton that will shake out over the next 3 years. Continuing to play them “because we will need the money” is an absolute guess at best. And a edit: reactionary one at that.

Last edited:

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
There is a ton that will shake out over the next 3 years. Continuing to play them “because we will need the money” is an absolute guess at best. And an emotional one at that.
No less emotional than refusing to play them. But I agree, we really still are only guessing how this all looks in 3-4 years.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
No less emotional than refusing to play them. But I agree, we really still are only guessing how this all looks in 3-4 years.
Agree to a point. I think it’s principal not to play them after this not emotion.

But I also don’t believe we’re going to end up in an AAC type situation. I think we’ll be just fine and it will work out. If they want to keep playing past that it’s on our terms, only In Stillwater no matter the sport. Of course they’d say no and that would be emotional but I’d support it.:D

edit: emotional was not the right word in my original response. Reactionary makes more sense in the scenario.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
You get the choice:
a) play the goons and lose 1/4 to 1/2 of alumni season ticket sales and a disenfranchised fan base
b) make network TV happy
c) be patient

Have some pride
A is the one that needs to be understood. Yes we can whore ourselves out to them for a few more mil every other year. What it costs us beyond that is much bigger. That’s not just me. Look at the survey results. Over 1000 responses and 78% said never again. That’s beyond a trend.

It will destroy morale for a vast majority of people who devoutly bleed orange. Is the TV money worth it “just cause.” I say no.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
exactly, maybe it’s just how I was brought up and taught by my parents and coaches but I want to beat their A**es and you can’t beat who you don’t play.

to me if they offer to play, and we turn it down that reeks of running from them and showing no pride.
Wait, first it was we have to play them for the money. Now it’s a competitive stand and how you were raised? They can’t be mutually inclusive because one requires us to sell our soul and I don’t think that’s you.

No fan disagrees with the competitive part, you’re 1000% correct. I get it. I like it. Totally on board. I’m just not on the whore ourselves out bandwagon. Totally different discussion. Both highly charged no doubt.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Wait, first it was we have to play them for the money. Now it’s a competitive stand and how you were raised? They can’t be mutually inclusive because one requires us to sell our soul and I don’t think that’s you.

No fan disagrees with the competitive part, you’re 1000% correct. I get it. I like it. Totally on board. I’m just not on the whore ourselves out bandwagon. Totally different discussion. Both highly charged no doubt.
Sure they can be. The guys I want to beat the worst also happen to come with the biggest paycheck.

I can understand those who want to never play them again, I just don’t agree with that take. For the athletes at OSU it’s a special thing to go take them on. So I look at it from several angles, and aside from our record on the football field it’s hard to justify in my mind not playing the game from a business and competitive standpoint.

Last edited:

norcal

Wrangler
Apr 29, 2008
When new TV contracts in 2024 for PAC, B1G and ACC are negotiated the networks will tell conferences which teams they will have to add. NBC, CBS and FOX will want to outdo ESPN. The networks may tell the conferences to take Big 12 teams. That way all major teams are in a P4 conference.

PAC, B1G and ACC can try to cause problems for the SEC. Stay with a four team national playoff and only have conference champions. They would not play the SEC in any sport. There are more teams in the P5 that are not in the SEC. The SEC needs these teams for games. These teams can play each other and leave the SEC out of non conference play. This is their punishment because they hurt the P5 conferences.

This also hurts ESPN. The other P5 conferences could not play any sport on ESPN. ESPN wants to dominate college sports, but if the other P5 conferences avoid ESPN they are in trouble.

No one knows what PAC, B1G and ACC discussed. They don't have to cooperate with the SEC.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Sure they can be. The guys I want to beat the worst also happen to come with the biggest paycheck.

I can understand those who want to never play them again, I just don’t agree with that take. For the athletes at OSU it’s a special thing to go take them on. So I look at it from several angles, and aside from our record on the football field it’s hard to justify in my mind not playing the game from a business and competitive standpoint.
You don't get it, you play them and they get their cake and get to eat it too. Not for me, that bunch of entitled individuals need to go .500 in the SEC and we don't need to add one penny to their athletic budget.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
I went back to the start of this thread to find out how much the gooners stand to make per year in the sec.

It appears the sec passed out approx 45 million per team in 2020???

Anyway, the only way I would freaking agree to play them again is they offer oSu 7-10 million dollars for a game with them. (Which will not happen) :p

Mar 29, 2014
I don't think OU really wants to play OSU once they move the the SEC. Why would they? I think they were just throwing OSU a bone to help with some of the bad local press. Not playing that game would be fine with OU. The only reason OSU would want to play it would be for the money. I guess it would be worth it. When it knocks either team out of the playoffs it will force them to reconsider.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
After seeing the turnout for the UCLA game, I say we’d be better off rebuilding the Big 12. If that’s indicative of the rest of the PAC, that conference will be done in a matter of years. No reason to get out of this dumpster fire and into that frying pan. Maybe we should be trying to poach a couple of their teams. I really wish we had some proactive leadership in our conference office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I don't think OU really wants to play OSU once they move the the SEC. Why would they? I think they were just throwing OSU a bone to help with some of the bad local press. Not playing that game would be fine with OU. The only reason OSU would want to play it would be for the money. I guess it would be worth it. When it knocks either team out of the playoffs it will force them to reconsider.
Going forward OSU will have lower income, and OU has a mountain of debt to pay off. Outside of the OU/UT game, it's the highest rated TV game for both. It's also good eposure for both teams. So both will have a financial incentive to play the game.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I went back to the start of this thread to find out how much the gooners stand to make per year in the sec.

It appears the sec passed out approx 45 million per team in 2020???

Anyway, the only way I would freaking agree to play them again is they offer oSu 7-10 million dollars for a game with them. (Which will not happen) :p
Now that is a solid prospect, or better yet we play 2-1 and the one in Norman we get all the PPV rights.