Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I thought the idea of the playoff was to get the best teams in. Shouldn't matter which conference. They could all be from one conference if they are the best teams.
OK, that is fine and dandy, but when teams have three losses, I do not care what conference you are in, you cannot be considered among the best in the nation anymore.

1-loss, OK.
2-losses, enh, OK if they are close to a stud team.
3-losses, Do not care who they were to, you are clearly not on the same level and you lose the benefit of the doubt in regard to conference strength.
I agree with this. Maybe that should be a playoff criteria. 3 losses disqualifies you from the playoff. If we leave it up to the “eye test” the SEC will get whatever they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I agree with this. Maybe that should be a playoff criteria. 3 losses disqualifies you from the playoff. If we leave it up to the “eye test” the SEC will get whatever they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At one point they floated the conference or division champ requirement. I think that is the absolute bare minimum. You can't be in the playoff if you didn't even win your division.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Chip brown, the leading sports writer for UT, says the Big 8's expansion plans and intent to keep the big 12 alive are going to complicate their hoped for early departure to the sec.

He also claims the Big 8 are in talks with BYU, who is likely to become the 9th member of the Big 12.

The Brew: What the Big 12's exploration of expansion means for Texas' timetable to the SEC (247sports.com)

UT and OU had an inflated Big 12 record because the big 12 refs blatantly cheated to et them wins. Texas, in particular, ot wins over WVU and the Cowboys last season it didnt deserve. Texas defender actually tackled WVU's wide open reciever in end zone so he couldnt catch the winning td in Austin with a few seconds left in game. it was 4th down. no penalty.

WVU was also cheated out of 2 wins over OU in Morgantown on ridiculous calls and no calls.

Im looking forward to playing them when they're not getting the benefit of every possible call.
They built their tradition based on cheating. And they are proud of that.

They jumped the gun to steal land....They pride of that and call themselves "Sooner". Sooner than the gun.

They proudly call themselves "Land Thieves".

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The SEC isn't stupid. They are already light years ahead of everybody else when it comes to scheduling. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come up with some kind of pod system that 1. Keeps all the name brands from playing each other very often and 2. Allows them to claim pod champ = division champ.

The middle of the SEC is no more tough than the middle of any other conference so you could easily end up with 3 or 4 one loss teams in the SEC some years.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
but it's gonna be worse for ut they are 7-5 8-4 at best in football
No need SEC.
ut gonna be 7-5, 8-4 in the current BIG12

ut was a, 5-7 or 6-7 team in the BIG12 under Strong for few years before.

2010 Mack Brown 5–7 2–66th (South)
2011 Mack Brown 8– 5 4–5T–6thW Holiday
2012 Mack Brown 9–4 5–4T–3rdW Alamo1819
2013 Mack Brown 8–5 7–2T–2ndL Alamo
2014 Charlie Strong 6–7 5–4T–6thL Texas
2015 Charlie Strong 5–7 4–5T–5th
2016 Charlie Strong 5–7 3–6T–6th
2017 Tom Herman 7–6 5–4

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The SEC isn't stupid. They are already light years ahead of everybody else when it comes to scheduling. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come up with some kind of pod system that 1. Keeps all the name brands from playing each other very often and 2. Allows them to claim pod champ = division champ.

The middle of the SEC is no more tough than the middle of any other conference so you could easily end up with 3 or 4 one loss teams in the SEC some years.
Rumor has it right now they are looking at (4) 4 team divisions.
West -
OU
Texas
aTm
ARK

East -
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Kentucky

South-
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Vandy

North:
Mizzou
LSU
Miss
Miss st.

Play everyone in division, then play either (1) or (2) teams from each other division if they want a 7 or 9 conference game regular season. That depends on expansion of the CFP. If it goes 12 teams.

The other rumor is simply move Alabama and Auburn to the east and OU / UT to the west having (2) 8 team divisions playing 7 divisional games and 1 or 2 cross divisional games.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
And Alabama always schedules two really weak directional non-con games every year, as do most SEC teams. Same as OSU and most other schools.
Correct. My reply was made in response to OU not wanting to schedule us as they would not want an OOC top 20 program if they already have a tough SEC schedule and used Alabama as the example, bama always has a t20 ish program. If OU/OSU wants to continue bedlam we would be the t20 program for them. Very similar to the SC Clem rivalry.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I think Bedlam, at least for football, is on life support.

What that would mean to keep bedlam alive is that we no longer play Washington State, Georgia, Arizona, Miss State, Florida State, Pittsburgh, Boise State, or Oregon State. Every year it's OU, McNeese, and UAB....
We will have better chance of beating any young 0u team early in the season rather than late in the season after those young players had figured things out and had gathered some game experience at the end of November.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
With 16 teams, I l am in favor of the 4 team pods. That sets up 3 games in pod and 2 games in each of the other 3 pods for a total of 9 conference games. This would provide a home-and-home game against all conference opponents over a 4 year period. A 4 year letterman plays in every stadium and against every team at least twice.

However SEC doesn't want 9 conference games, they want 8 so they can force the eye test for some of their teams. Plus by doing 2 divisions, they can protect some teams.

Aug 16, 2012
Rumor has it right now they are looking at (4) 4 team divisions.
West -
OU
Texas
aTm
ARK

East -
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Kentucky

South-
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Vandy

North:
Mizzou
LSU
Miss
Miss st.

Play everyone in division, then play either (1) or (2) teams from each other division if they want a 7 or 9 conference game regular season. That depends on expansion of the CFP. If it goes 12 teams.

The other rumor is simply move Alabama and Auburn to the east and OU / UT to the west having (2) 8 team divisions playing 7 divisional games and 1 or 2 cross divisional games.
Granted who is good changes over time, but I cannot see anyone but LSU and TAMU being excited about moving Alabama and Auburn to the east.

Edit...and OU and Texas obviously

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Oklahoma State needs to be trying to schedule Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Clemson, etc. Knock off one of them and see how the world reacts. They are better than Michigan right now. Maybe some others. Have the confidence to go after the big dogs. They play the wheels off Oklahoma every year and Oklahoma has been finishing in the top 5. The recent Oklahoma games have been mostly decided by one or two plays.
First you've got to get one of them to agree to play.

We've played in the last 10 or so years: Georgia, Washington State, Arizona, Florida State, Mississippi State, Pittsburgh, Boise State, and Oregon State.

Through 2037 we have scheduled: Arizona State (2), Oregon (2), Arkansas (2), Alabama (2), Nebraska (2), and Colorado (2).

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
We will have better chance of beating any young 0u team early in the season rather than late in the season after those young players had figured things out and had gathered some game experience at the end of November.
Their young players develop better than our young players?

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I thought the idea of the playoff was to get the best teams in. Shouldn't matter which conference. They could all be from one conference if they are the best teams.
I thought the idea of the playoff was to determine a national champion on the field rather than through voters.
Certainly either is a reasonable goal. But the playoff was a direct response to the previous system of voting for the national champion. If Team A has already beaten Team B in the regular season, there is really no point in Team B being included in the playoff. Much better to see if Team A can beat Team C.

NinjaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Game week, gentlemen. It’s gonna be awhile before we hear anything about realignment. One things for sure, it’s time to show other conferences how good we are. All eyes are on us this year.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
Watching Nebraska today I realize that UO’s nonconference schedule may be the weakest they’ve ever had with Tulane likely being the strongest team they’ll face. It’s worse than many of the K-State nonconference opponents that everyone used to ridicule back in the day. It won’t prepare them well for that early Iowa State game…..
I thought Iowa State was the goons last game of the year?

Jan 26, 2006
Round Rock, Tx
I thought the idea of the playoff was to determine a national champion on the field rather than through voters.
Certainly either is a reasonable goal. But the playoff was a direct response to the previous system of voting for the national champion. If Team A has already beaten Team B in the regular season, there is really no point in Team B being included in the playoff. Much better to see if Team A can beat Team C.
It is, but the question is. Who are the teams that get on the field? I have to agree with the two team limit per conference. It is such an argument with who are the best 4 teams now. 8 teams doesn’t lessen that argument anymore than 64 did for basketball. Heck we can’t even all agree on the top 25 rankings. I just think if you can’t be the best 2 of your own conference then let teams outside your conference have a shot at beating them.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Your entire premise is wrong. The idea of the playoff is to generate interest and money for college football, just as March Madness does for basketball. Seldom does the "best team" end up the National Champion in basketball - it's all about getting the whole country watching, not determining the best team.

Oct 6, 2012
I went back to the start of this thread to find out how much the gooners stand to make per year in the sec.

It appears the sec passed out approx 45 million per team in 2020???

Anyway, the only way I would freaking agree to play them again is they offer oSu 7-10 million dollars for a game with them. (Which will not happen) :p
If I were making the schedule the only way uo would be on it is if they paid us the amount they cost us every year by leaving the conference. Castiglione and Harroz should go down in history as the guys that killed bedlam, nothing more.