Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
ACC has 14 football schools which is what matters. If ND doesn't join, we could conceivably get an invite. PAC makes more sense though.
Starting to sound like we might get an ACC invite over WVU and even KU might get one over WVU if ND does not join. ND might stay independent or go to the Big 10.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
This is going to be fascinating to watch develop. This thread itself has a lot of interesting thoughts.

As much as we hate them, it's in our best interest to stay married to OU if at all possible. If we get left behind, the gap will increase exponentially within a few years.

I've enjoyed running with the big dogs thanks to Gundy and Boone and I'd hate to see those days end.
I agree... best case is if we can tag a long. just seems like a long shot at this point in time

Dec 9, 2013
I don’t see how the other 3 power conferences sit still. I think I’m hoping for a national merger to a 32 team super conference. Yes we get left out but so do 40-50 good programs and schools. This lets everyone rebuild w rules that are for the good of the 40 or 50 vs a dozen or so.

The other sports could really flourish in this scenario. You would have a majority of the tradition rich programs in basketball and baseball. The Olympic sports could truly thrive.

Fans would all have emotional ties to the schools vs tshirt fans.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
This is going to be fascinating to watch develop. This thread itself has a lot of interesting thoughts.

As much as we hate them, it's in our best interest to stay married to OU if at all possible. If we get left behind, the gap will increase exponentially within a few years.

I've enjoyed running with the big dogs thanks to Gundy and Boone and I'd hate to see those days end.
I disagree...I wouldn't mind a 20 yr hiatus from them and their stupid band. Imagine we go to the ACC, and thrive against Miami, Florida State etc for 2 decades. While UO becomes the Miss State of the SEC. It's not unbelievable. I honestly feel like we lose bedlam before we even take the field. Give bedlam a break for a long while, let our school kick ass in another conference. I'm all for it.

Mar 13, 2009
I disagree...I wouldn't mind a 20 yr hiatus from them and their stupid band. Imagine we go to the ACC, and thrive against Miami, Florida State etc for 2 decades. While UO becomes the Miss State of the SEC. It's not unbelievable. I honestly feel like we lose bedlam before we even take the field. Give bedlam a break for a long while, let our school kick ass in another conference. I'm all for it.
I don’t know about some of this. But I def agree. I’d be perfectly fine never seeing Lincoln Riley ever again

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Starting to sound like we might get an ACC invite over WVU and even KU might get one over WVU if ND does not join. ND might stay independent or go to the Big 10.
Not sure where you saw that, but that doesn't make sense. Assuming UT goes to the SEC, which doesn't seem like a done deal at all, WVU almost certainly gets an invite in every scenario I've seen. If UT gets turned down by the SEC, they would probably try to go to the ACC with ND, which seems like the only way WVU gets left out.

Jan 14, 2006
I could live with that for sure but it's just not likely. OU will be just fine, they'll be a top 3-5 program forever if this happens.

As for us, man, I like the way you think but we'd have to have a lot of stuff fall into place and I still think the recruiting gap would grow by a lot.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Not sure where you saw that, but that doesn't make sense. Assuming UT goes to the SEC, which doesn't seem like a done deal at all, WVU almost certainly gets an invite in every scenario I've seen. If UT gets turned down by the SEC, they would probably try to go to the ACC with ND, which seems like the only way WVU gets left out.
Texas wouldn't go public about going to the SEC, if they weren't confident they are getting in. They are bringing "the school" in Norman with them to soften the blow (and blow up the Big 12 Grant of Rights)

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Carey Murdoch reported it but there are a LOT of rumors flying around out there so who knows. But remember this is all about football and we are a much bigger football prize than any free agent school other than ND.

RPG

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spo...-ou-texas-might-look-leave-big-12/8057234002/

Tramel: Oklahoma State had a notion that OU & Texas might look to leave the Big 12
Berry Tramel
Oklahoman

The OU/Texas news was not a lightning bolt in Stillwater. The Sooners and Longhorns are exploring Southeastern Conference membership, and the news leak to the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday, courtesy of Texas A&M, put such an endeavor on the fast track.

OSU officials figured it was coming. They just didn’t know when.

Six weeks ago, OU and Texas voted against extending the Big 12’s grant of rights, which gives the conference ownership of the broadcast revenue of each school. A Cowboy source said that when OU and UT made those votes, then-OSU athletic director Mike Holder returned from the meeting with his antenna up about possible defections from the Big 12. So much so, that prominent Cowboy boosters have petitioned Gov. Kevin Stitt, an OSU graduate and suiteholder at Boone Pickens Stadium, to intercede and keep the Sooners in the Big 12. You can’t blame OSU for worrying about the plight of the Big 12. The fear of being left out of a power conference has been in the back — or front — of minds on several campuses, since the near-dissolution of the Big 12 a decade ago.

OSU is in the best shape of any of the remaining eight Big 12 members. The Cowboys boast good football — second-best in the Big 12 over the last 11 seasons — and excellent athletic tradition, state-of-the-art facilities and a loyal fan base.

The previous decade’s calling card of market size has diminished. In the new broadcast era of streaming, geographic populations have been replaced by fan-base passion as the primary lure. The Cowboys are solid there.

But still, the status quo is by far OSU’s best hope. The loss of both OU and Texas would either cause the Big 12 to collapse or would water down the conference so much financially that it would cripple members’ athletic budgets.

Big 12 members received about $38 million each in the most recent full-year payment from the conference. If the SEC were to add OU and Texas, the conference television contracts with ESPN would be reworked, and projections have the annual SEC payout to members reaching at least $60 million per school.

Meanwhile, the prospective Big 12 television contracts would be far less than what the league has been receiving for a conference that includes the Sooners and Longhorns.

If OU and Texas leave, Plan A for OSU would be an expanded Pac-12 Conference. A Pac-16 with an eastern division of Arizona State, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and four Big 12 expatriates would be a solid conference.

Not ideal, but solid.

The Pac-12 sought OU and Texas in 2010 when the Big 12 was on the verge of dissolving. UT’s Longhorn Network kept a Pac-16 from gaining traction.

While the Pac-12 would not be thrilled about adding Big 12 members outside of OU and Texas, the conference’s status has changed over a decade. Its television bonanzas have not been great, its Pac-12 Network has not found the distribution levels of the Big Ten and SEC networks, and the Pac-12's football reputation has taken a beating in recent years.

Only two of the seven College Football Playoffs have included a Pac-12 team. Oklahoma State would arrive in a potential Pac-16 as the third-most accomplished football program in the conference, behind only Southern Cal and Oregon, with Washington at least in the debate.

But the Pac-12 doesn’t always make athletic decisions based solely on athletics.

The Pac almost surely would not consider private schools like Baylor and Texas Christian, because of their church connections (though TCU hardly is a religious school anymore). And the Pac-12 would be slow to consider land-grant institutions like OSU, Kansas State or Iowa State.

Still, the Pac-12 has a new commissioner in George Kliavkoff and might see expansion as the league’s best option in the changing landscape of collegiate athletics.

An OU and Texas jump is not for certain, though the financial outlook makes it hard for either to say no. Texas A&M athletic director Russ Bjork admitted the Aggies prefer to keep the Longhorns out of the SEC, and SEC by-law require at least 75% approval for admitting new members.

That means A&M needs to find three more votes to deny the Sooners and Longhorns. That won’t be easy when about $16 million per year per school is on the table.

The political card is dicey. Legally, there is little Stitt or the legislature could do to prevent the Sooners from leaving the Big 12.

However, the governor and legislators could put pressure on OU to stay, since they control state appropriations. Stitt is up for re-election in 2022 and figures to win again. Would he risk alienating crimson voters? I don’t know.

And Stitt’s hammer is not what a governor’s once was. State appropriations to OU and OSU now fall below 20% of their budgets. The cuts to higher education means the schools are less-beholding to politicians.

Texas politics could come into play. A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor all want to keep Texas in the Big 12. The Aggies, Red Raiders and Bears have lots of high-ranking political friends.

This is a high-dollar, high-intrigue situation. OSU is in a precarious position. But the Cowboys were at least prepared for the worst.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Georgia and Georgia Tech are in different P5 conferences.
South Carolina and Clemson are in different P5 conferences.
Pitt and Penn State are in different P5 conferences.
Florida and Florida State are in different P5 conferences.
Iowa and Iowa State are (and maybe were) in different P5 conferences.

This isn't a major problem.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid

The gap is 90-18, it cannot get any bigger. It’s time to break away from OU.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
Georgia and Georgia Tech are in different P5 conferences.
South Carolina and Clemson are in different P5 conferences.
Pitt and Penn State are in different P5 conferences.
Florida and Florida State are in different P5 conferences.
Iowa and Iowa State are (and maybe were) in different P5 conferences.

This isn't a major problem.

The problem is, if OU and TX leave is the big 12 considered P5? I would think not - since it's based solely on money. If OSU lands in one of the P4 (I really hope we can land in big 10) at that point then it would be no problem.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The problem is, if OU and TX leave is the big 12 considered P5? I would think not - since it's based solely on money. If OSU lands in one of the P4 (I really hope we can land in big 10) at that point then it would be no problem.
Agree. The Big 12 is over. I'm saying PAC or ACC for us.