Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
As we ask the question do these schools need football, I remember that one school in Dallas cut foot ball and used the field to plant crops and as a farmers market. Everything was used to support the other programs. . It was the responsible thing to do but they did get push back.

Edit, wrong location and added link
https://civileats.com/2015/02/26/ho...m-helped-bring-back-a-struggling-college/amp/
I'm all in favor of OSU dropping football and expanding its Meat Judging program.

Nov 6, 2010
I bet they are losing money. Tulsa for sure is, that is why they made their football and basketball coaches take a pay cut pre-pandemic.
I have no idea why they keep it going then. Wichita State, Gonzaga, Creighton, lots of examples of schools doing well without it. And I wonder what Skelly Stadium would be worth?

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
High-ranking UT sources told the Statesman this summer that the decision was driven in part by TV negotiations. The networks did not want to extend their current TV deals, something Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

But the Big 12 asked its members to sign a five-year extension of the grant of television rights, according to UT sources at the time. Bowlsby said flatly on Wednesday “that’s absurd.”

“We never asked them to extend the TV contracts. There was never an ask for an extension of the grant of rights,” Bowlsby said. “There was never any negotiations with ESPN. There was never a request to extend the contract. It was a routine look-in, and I wasn’t at all surprised or disappointed that they said four years was too early to begin negotiations.”

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Bumping as I am thoroughly enjoying Texas' farewell tour and their incredible, dedicated and preemptive approach to mediocrity.

1636299399641.png

Now if we can only get oU to start following Texas' lead.

Last edited:

JohnW

Greenhorn
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
I wonder about schools like Rice as well. Small school, highly ranked academics - do the need a marginal football program? When Rice was in the Southwest Conference, I remember an article in the Houston Chronical that said there were more students on campus at UT than there were total students AND total living alumni of Rice. Very small crowds at games, I'd say they average maybe 10,000. I used to go and take my kids just so they could see a college football game - tickets were very inexpensive.
All true but their stadium holds 70k fans and hosted one of the early Super Bowls I was living a mile from the stadium then and never saw an increase in traffic wih that game being played.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
I'm sure this has been covered, but don't feel like going back through messages, so....do we know when the "new Big 12" starts? when do the incoming schools join and when do the departing teams go? I've heard 'official' timelines, but wonder if and when it "could" happen...

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I'm sure this has been covered, but don't feel like going back through messages, so....do we know when the "new Big 12" starts? when do the incoming schools join and when do the departing teams go? I've heard 'official' timelines, but wonder if and when it "could" happen...
Officially 2025 but could happen any time between now and then. Just depends on how willing schools are to pay buyouts. I thought OU and Texas might have been gone after this year but OU at least my try to slow play it now that Riley left. I would think that it would all go down by 2023 at the latest.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Good question.

I'm hoping that UT-Austin and UT-Norman are already out the door at the end of this school year.

Unlessssss... this year's karma train has derailed them significantly enough that they both go winless in B12 in their final year... then I'd be open to them hanging around one more year.

Dec 9, 2013
Good question.

I'm hoping that UT-Austin and UT-Norman are already out the door at the end of this school year.

Unlessssss... this year's karma train has derailed them significantly enough that they both go winless in B12 in their final year... then I'd be open to them hanging around one more year.
Does anyone know if they have to go at the same time? I can see where ut has the $ but uo can’t. And w both being a dumpster fire the regents/boosters/admins at each school now having completely different agendas and abilities. Wouldn’t it be glorious for ut to bolt at end of this spring and uo to be left until 2024? I want them gone but that scenario just might be worth them staying.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Does anyone know if they have to go at the same time? I can see where ut has the $ but uo can’t. And w both being a dumpster fire the regents/boosters/admins at each school now having completely different agendas and abilities. Wouldn’t it be glorious for ut to bolt at end of this spring and uo to be left until 2024? I want them gone but that scenario just might be worth them staying.
I don't have time to dig for the link, but I'm almost positive that there was a link or an article in this thread that made it VERY CLEAR that the buyout money is there (thru negotiations with ESPN and Longhorn Network finagling)... And that Texas will be footing the bill for oU's portion.

I specifically remember L'ingMAO that Texas was willing/going to make the exit payment for oU. :lol::lol::lol:

Dec 9, 2013
I don't have time to dig for the link, but I'm almost positive that there was a link or an article in this thread that made it VERY CLEAR that the buyout money is there (thru negotiations with ESPN and Longhorn Network finagling)... And that Texas will be footing the bill for oU's portion.

I specifically remember L'ingMAO that Texas was willing/going to make the exit payment for oU. :lol::lol::lol:
That’s the way I remember it but that was before both lit the dumpster on fire. I can see it now where each has their own fire to put out and Texas seeing a little advantage here. This is a dirty game both have engaged in and there’s too much money involved for it not to get dirtier. They will both be looking to take care of themselves first and tx just got a million(s) door opened if they were going to share LHN $. Why share that now for a new uo coach? UO is going to have to pay up to buyout a head coach somewhere else and the risk is way high to hire an assistant. Make Joe sweat.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008

I am pretty sure Texas made a statement that they would not be paying OU's exit fees.

"#Texas president Jay Hartzell, when asked by a state senator if the money #UT is owed for the Longhorn Network could be used for Texas and OU's exit fees: "I grew up in Oklahoma, but I'm not going to pay for their exit fees.""

Last edited:

JohnW

Greenhorn
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
Right and UT never lies. Would the SEC want just UT withoout OU at least timing wise? Sure another win for most SEC games and lots of eye balls to prop up the TV payment

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Some seem to believe Conference changes will continue until 2024-25. With OKstate improving their football status does that bring increased interest from SEC, B1G, ACC, or PAC 12?

Big 12 May be best strategy for success for OSU now but many believe 4 Super Conferences are in the near future.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX

Here is one. Technically not UT, but the Longhorn Network via a buyout from ESPN. The article says the Longhorn Network would pay both UT and OU exit fees, as if the LHN is not effectively UT. UT would not be lying directly, but commiting the sin of omission.

UT paying OU exit fee

"Little brother" along for the ride......

Last edited:

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Some seem to believe Conference changes will continue until 2024-25. With OKstate improving their football status does that bring increased interest from SEC, B1G, ACC, or PAC 12?

Big 12 May be best strategy for success for OSU now but many believe 4 Super Conferences are in the near future.
Looks like that may be shaping up.

SEC
Big 10
Pac 12
Big 12

I can see that Atlantic Coast moving into those four conferences.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Here is one. Technically not UT, but the Longhorn Network via a buyout from ESPN. The article says the Longhorn Network would pay both UT and OU exit fees, as if the LHN is not effectively UT. UT would not be lying directly, but commiting the sin of omission.

UT paying OU exit fee
Yup... that's what I remember. Anyway you wanna dress that pig though, Texas is paying oU's exit fees, and I find this HILARIOUS beyond measure.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I feel like it's worth mentioning that there is a real possibility for Cincinatti and OSU to play in the national championship. Would anyone have believed that prior to the season?

Also, I don't know if it would be possible to overstate just how impactful that could be for the future of OSU football and the Big 12 overall.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk