Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Some are predicting:

1. UGA
2. OKState
3. Michigan
4. ND or Cincinnati

We would play in Arlington, TX and Indianapolis and both are within driving distance of Stillwater. This is what I am hoping for as flights to Miami are real expensive and it is to far to drive.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Here is one. Technically not UT, but the Longhorn Network via a buyout from ESPN. The article says the Longhorn Network would pay both UT and OU exit fees, as if the LHN is not effectively UT. UT would not be lying directly, but commiting the sin of omission.

UT paying OU exit fee

"Little brother" along for the ride......
Now that is precious

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
I feel like it's worth mentioning that there is a real possibility for Cincinatti and OSU to play in the national championship. Would anyone have believed that prior to the season?

Also, I don't know if it would be possible to overstate just how impactful that could be for the future of OSU football and the Big 12 overall.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Damn fine point

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Some are predicting:

1. UGA
2. OKState
3. Michigan
4. ND or Cincinnati

We would play in Arlington, TX and Indianapolis and both are within driving distance of Stillwater. This is what I am hoping for as flights to Miami are real expensive and it is to far to drive.
Just did that drive. Moved my oldest to Miami. Loved it.

Sep 6, 2014
With our success this year putting us in the national spotlight I think it is only a matter of time before we are the next school to go to SEC or B1G in realignment. I don't think we'll ever see a game in the "new Big 12"

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
So, discussions about divisions are beginning to happen for the Big 12. I'll make a suggestion that we forgo divisions in favor of rotation.

The problem with divisions is that, for football at least, you may not get the two best teams in the championship game.

Take for example this year in the Big 10 you had Michigan (8-1) playing Iowa (7-2) in the championship game while 8-1 Ohio State stayed home.

So why not forget the divisions and just rotate 2-3 new teams each season.

Dec 9, 2013
So, discussions about divisions are beginning to happen for the Big 12. I'll make a suggestion that we forgo divisions in favor of rotation.

The problem with divisions is that, for football at least, you may not get the two best teams in the championship game.

Take for example this year in the Big 10 you had Michigan (8-1) playing Iowa (7-2) in the championship game while 8-1 Ohio State stayed home.

So why not forget the divisions and just rotate 2-3 new teams each season.
Still doesn’t assure 2 best teams. 2nd place team could play Kansas & Tech and not OSU or say BYU and 3rd place team maybe played OSU Baylor & BYU but didn’t play KS.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Still doesn’t assure 2 best teams. 2nd place team could play Kansas & Tech and not OSU or say BYU and 3rd place team maybe played OSU Baylor & BYU but didn’t play KS.
True, but it's more likely than two divisions where you have the same imbalance, every year. Take for example 2004 Big 12.

Big 12 North
Colorado 4-4
Iowa State 4-4

Big 12 South
Oklahoma 8-0
Texas 7-1
Texas Tech 5-3
Texas A&M 5-3
Oklahoma State 4-4

2005: same sort of thing
2007: same thing
2008: same thing
2009: almost..

The Big 12 South was a much stronger division. In 2004 Colorado was 0-3 against the Big 12 South, yet they played in the conference championship game. Similar in 2006 Nebraska was 1-2 against the Big 12 South.

In 2008 Oklahoma, Texas, and Oklahoma State were all 7-1. Missouri was 1-2 against Big 12 South Teams with a 5-3 conference record. Yet played in the Big 12 Championship game. Four teams in the Big 12 south were nationally ranked higher than Missouri.

It happens in other conferences as well. Even with divisions you are still rotating teams through, so that isn't different. What would be different is you get the two teams with the best record and more times than not the two highest ranked teams in the conference.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Colorado is worse than in 2004. I don't sense any commitment to football like they had in the 1970's and again in the 1990's. There's a lot of auto traffic, but no buzz on gameday here.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
True, but it's more likely than two divisions where you have the same imbalance, every year. Take for example 2004 Big 12.

Big 12 North
Colorado 4-4
Iowa State 4-4

Big 12 South
Oklahoma 8-0
Texas 7-1
Texas Tech 5-3
Texas A&M 5-3
Oklahoma State 4-4

2005: same sort of thing
2007: same thing
2008: same thing
2009: almost..

The Big 12 South was a much stronger division. In 2004 Colorado was 0-3 against the Big 12 South, yet they played in the conference championship game. Similar in 2006 Nebraska was 1-2 against the Big 12 South.

In 2008 Oklahoma, Texas, and Oklahoma State were all 7-1. Missouri was 1-2 against Big 12 South Teams with a 5-3 conference record. Yet played in the Big 12 Championship game. Four teams in the Big 12 south were nationally ranked higher than Missouri.

It happens in other conferences as well. Even with divisions you are still rotating teams through, so that isn't different. What would be different is you get the two teams with the best record and more times than not the two highest ranked teams in the conference.
Agree 100 percent. Divisions are not the best way to determine a true champ. You would only get that by putting the best 2 teams in the CCG.

That being said, doing that could be to the detriment to the league. What if Michigan had to play Ohio State a second time. While, it absolutely would have determined the true champ, it could have cost the Big10 a spot in the CFP and a ton of $$$. In 2011 it may have knocked LSU/Bama out of the MNC.

On the flip-side, it could have helped us get in had we beaten Baylor this year instead of a team like ISU.

All of the other P5 conferences use that format so I’d assume the B12 would just fall in line.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Agree 100 percent. Divisions are not the best way to determine a true champ. You would only get that by putting the best 2 teams in the CCG.

That being said, doing that could be to the detriment to the league. What if Michigan had to play Ohio State a second time. While, it absolutely would have determined the true champ, it could have cost the Big10 a spot in the CFP and a ton of $$$. In 2011 it may have knocked LSU/Bama out of the MNC.

On the flip-side, it could have helped us get in had we beaten Baylor this year instead of a team like ISU.

All of the other P5 conferences use that format so I’d assume the B12 would just fall in line.
That can happen already when the conference is divided with divisions. Teams rotate through anyway, review the old Big 12 divisions where you played half the other division and then rotated every two seasons.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
That can happen already when the conference is divided with divisions. Teams rotate through anyway, review the old Big 12 divisions where you played half the other division and then rotated every two seasons.
Michigan and Ohio St. are in the same Divison so impossible for them to meet twice

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
By play a second time, I mean play again in the championship because they are top 2 teams in the league not due to scheduling rotations… But something tells me you knew exactly what I was saying….

Aug 16, 2012

Maybe division champions with the requirement that a division champion still has to be one of the top 4 teams in the overall conference to qualify. If not, then it goes back to simply the two best records period.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
I believe that was Texas Tech, not OSU in that three-way tie. Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
So...I've not thought through all the implications of this, but what if the Big12 did a little forward/outside the box thinking and had this setup:

• No divisions
  • 8 game conference schedule that rotates
  • Each team locks in two conference foes that they play every year
  • Top 4 teams go a semifinal at higher seeds home campus leading to the conference championship in Jerry World.

Couple of thoughts. You could do a 9 game conference schedule and do one less OOC game but you are adding in an extra game for some of those teams with the semi final. It would at least move the argument to the 4th/5th place team and would eliminate the potential for a lopsided division. By locking in two "rival" teams you could cut down on travel expenses (e.g. WVU could lock in Cincy and South Florida) and instill some extra weight in those series.

Anyways, it would definitely give the Big12 a unique and (I think) more fair way of crowning a true champ.