Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Meh, at some point, either you have the cards to play or you don't. There just weren't many cards for him to play here. The end was put in motion when Mizzou, Nebraska and aTm left, which happened under Beebe. I'd argue he did a good job keeping it together as long as he did.
My assessment as well. He had nothing to offer to bring in great schools. Look at the list of candidates from our last serious talk of expansion, not a single poach from a P5. That’s not on Mr B, that just show the Big12 weak position

Nov 6, 2010
This. The only thing he could do was give OU and Texas a bigger piece of the big XII pie which would have been a slap in the face to everyone else in the Big XII and even then it might not have been enough for Texas to not take their ball and go home.
The only other card I can think of is BYU. They are the only player out there that would add significant value IMO, but Texas and OU would have had to be willing to work those issues out, and they probably weren't. But for the sake of argument, say adding BYU was plausible, then push hard to get Nebraska back and maybe you have something. I know most people say Neb isn't in play, but I live there, and can tell you, those folks aren't happy, so I think they would at least be open to a solid pitch.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Meh, at some point, either you have the cards to play or you don't. There just weren't many cards for him to play here. The end was put in motion when Mizzou, Nebraska and aTm left, which happened under Beebe. I'd argue he did a good job keeping it together as long as he did.
Garbage TV contracts, "One True Champion".....oh, never mind.

Jun 23, 2009
New York
This. The only thing he could do was give OU and Texas a bigger piece of the big XII pie which would have been a slap in the face to everyone else in the Big XII and even then it might not have been enough for Texas to not take their ball and go home.
The only other card I can think of is BYU. They are the only player out there that would add significant value IMO, but Texas and OU would have had to be willing to work those issues out, and they probably weren't. But for the sake of argument, say adding BYU was plausible, then push hard to get Nebraska back and maybe you have something. I know most people say Neb isn't in play, but I live there, and can tell you, those folks aren't happy, so I think they would at least be open to a solid pitch.
I don’t understand everyone’s obsession with bringing Nebraska back. They have been a garbage team for a decade now, if they came back to the Big 12 and started winning the confeor coming in top 3 it would show how weak our conference really is. Let them rot in the B1G they made their bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
I don’t understand everyone’s obsession with bringing Nebraska back. They have been a garbage team for a decade now, if they came back to the Big 12 and started winning the confeor coming in top 3 it would show how weak our conference really is. Let them rot in the B1G they made their bed

In a word, passion. It is everything for the state, and I know the state isn't that populous, but a huge dedicated fanbase matters. Even after sucking for a decade, go to a game in Lincoln, it is an awesome experience.

Apr 7, 2006
When I hear people interesting in Nebraska I just figure it's nostalgia talking. They don't bring much with exception to some quality people that travel to their games.

They aren't a football power any more and aren't notable in any sport. The population of the state is half of Oklahoma - which is small by everyone's definition and geographically they aren't close to anyone in the conference except Iowa State.

Apr 7, 2006
The only positives I can come up with from this whole thing are :

1) Texas A&M is pissed and will become completely irrelevant very quickly
2) I don't have to worry about hearing OU fans pound their chest all the time, because they're about to be a good but not great team with really pissed off fans

Nov 6, 2010
The only positives I can come up with from this whole thing are :

1) Texas A&M is pissed and will become completely irrelevant very quickly
2) I don't have to worry about hearing OU fans pound their chest all the time, because they're about to be a good but not great team with really pissed off fans
Sadly, I wish number 2 was true, but I think they become Alabama now. Texas on the other hand....

Apr 7, 2006
Sadly, I wish number 2 was true, but I think they become Alabama now. Texas on the other hand....
I think they're much more likely to be Florida, Auburn, Georgia type situation where they have a lot of success but their rebuilding years are a whole lot different than they are now.

If you believe recruiting rankings on 247 they were:
2017: 8th
2018: 9th
2019: 6th
2020: 12th
2021: 10th

They aren't going to get much more in the way of recruits than they have today. Texas and OU will both steal from A&M and Arkansas, so their recruiting will improve, but I don't see things getting better in the win column for them in any large sample size.

They'll have more money, feel like they're in the country club now and they can chant S-E-C at the end of the game - otherwise, nothing else they're getting out of this.

Nov 29, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
B10 with KU is option #1, but if that doesn't pan out then the PAC16 with TTU/TCU/KSU (or Houston if KSU isn't appealing enough) is my hope. I thought about ISU as well, but they seem too far geographically for it to make much sense + don't add much recruiting/tv wise.

The division wouldn't have a 'marquee' opponent in it with UCLA/USC/Oregon/Stanford in the western division, but it's still the most ideal situation imo.

Arizona, Ariz St, Utah, Colorado, Ok State, Texas Tech, TCU, & K-State or Houston. 7 Division games and 2 cross division match ups. 3 Non Conf games, one of which hopefully being OU. Could be a lot worse, but this might be wishful thinking itself.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Those of you suggesting adding some PAC or ACC teams to the remnants of the Big 12: we lost Texas & Oklahoma. The schools we are talking about adding don't have anywhere near the tv draw of the two schools we lost. Even if we add 2 Arizona schools, BYU and somebody else, it won't offset TU & Oklahoma.

I'm pretty sure our tv deal would be redone and reduced. Dramatically.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago

I don't know if you realize this, but if we don't either jump to a PAC 16 or bring some eyeballs to the "Big 12," we are going to be the ones rotting.

Apr 7, 2006
Florida won a national championship 13 years ago and is now on it's third coach since winning it.

Auburn won a national championship 11 years ago and is now on it's second coach since winning it.

OU last won a national championship 21 years ago and has had 1 coach since due to Stoops retirement. During that 21 year span they've won the conference 13 times.

The Big XII has been golden for OU having sustained success.

Last edited: