Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Good for Dr. Shrum with the strong statement. So glad we have her. I'm glad we're the only ones releasing statements. We may be good in the long run, but this is some BS that needs to get called out. I fully understand that everyone else left behind may be too scared to issue statements right now, which sucks, because there's a lot to be said!

CBS (dare I say one of the few impartial observers here) literally stated that OSU is A) going to very attractive for many conferences, B) the most prominent of the remaining 8, and C) may end up with a better path to Playoffs removed from OU's shadow. Couldn't have said it better myself!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...g-12-teams-when-texas-oklahoma-leave-for-sec/

Oklahoma State: Pac-12
The Cowboys are going to be very desirable and will certainly be courted by the AAC. But as the most prominent of the remaining eight programs, it'd be best served to call first-year Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff. The Pac-12 was widely regarded as the worst of the Power Five conferences prior to the news that Texas and Oklahoma could bail on the Big 12. Luring the Cowboys to play the teams out West would go a long way toward changing that. Plus, for Oklahoma State, it'd be a great way to expand the recruiting net and, at least in theory, have an easier path to the College Football Playoff now that it'd be out of Oklahoma's shadow.

Sep 9, 2013
no way they can get out before completing this season. the lawsuits would be overwhelming. not only leaving, but leaving before teams could adjust schedules.

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Well not sure how much this will come into play but it might. Even Utah (BYU) is not on this list.
In a word, passion. It is everything for the state, and I know the state isn't that populous, but a huge dedicated fanbase matters. Even after sucking for a decade, go to a game in Lincoln, it is an awesome experience.
Dude, it is all about the Money, they
Well, I think my SEC dream just died. Dr. Shrum just slammed OU on Twitter. Doesn't sound like we'll be following them anywhere.

Side note. She's handling this like a boss so far. I expect us to make a bold move.
can you show us - verified?

Sep 9, 2013
I dont see Texas and OU leaving before the 2024 football season is finished.
If the remnants hold their feet to the fire, getting out is much worse than just paying 160 million in damages. they have to pay 160 million, forfeit money they earn this season, and the big 12 would still own their gor until after the 2024 season.

Big 12 officials meet to discuss possible departures of Oklahoma and Texas to SEC
play

9:01 PM CT
  • Heather Dinich
  • Mark Schlabach

While Big 12 officials search for answers from Oklahoma and Texas about their possible departures to the SEC, the league made it clear on Thursday it expects its flagship programs to adhere to the conference bylaws and TV contracts that have been signed.
The Big 12 athletic directors and their university presidents and chancellors held a videoconference on Thursday evening to discuss the possible moves. Both OU and Texas were invited to the meeting but declined to participate in the call, sources said.
In a statement provided to ESPN, the Big 12 said, "There is a recognition that institutions may act in their own self-interest, however there is an expectation that members adhere to Conference bylaws and the enforcement of Grant of Rights agreements."
The Big 12 bylaws require any withdrawing member to give the league at least 18 months' notice. There also is a hefty exit fee -- departing schools must pay the league a "commitment buyout fee," which is an amount equal to the sum of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the school during the final two years of its membership. Exiting schools, according to the bylaws, "shall be deemed to have agreed to forfeit all distributions of any type that otherwise would have been made to the withdrawing member during the interim period" between the notice date and the actual departure date.
Last year, the Big 12 distributed about $38 million to each of its members, third most among Power 5 conferences, so Texas and Oklahoma would owe about $76 million each.
EDITOR'S PICKS
It's unclear whether both schools are aware of the repercussions, and they both declined comment beyond statements issued on Wednesday. One source said the Big 12 also discussed the possibility of finding more revenue for Texas and OU if their motivation to exit is driven by money.
OU and Texas also signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement, in which they granted their first- and second-tier media rights for football and men's basketball to the conference through June 30, 2025. That means the Big 12 would still own the schools' media rights for those sports -- even if they are no longer members -- until the agreement expires.
During Thursday's meeting, conference officials also scratched the surface on discussions of what the Big 12 might do if OU and Texas left, and one source said that included looking into whether there were other Power 5 programs that might want to join, or if schools such as UCF, Houston, Cincinnati or BYU might make good additions. There was some appetite in the meeting for possibly adding two teams even if OU and Texas decide to stay.
None of those conversations gained significant traction, though, because the next step is figuring out the intents of OU and Texas -- and their motivation.
One source said the next 48 hours will be critical to answering that.
"We need answers sooner than later," one source said, "and we don't have any answers right now."
In the statement provided to ESPN following the meeting, the Big 12 said "the eight members strongly desire to retain the current composition, which has proven it can compete at the highest levels.
"This is a time of dramatic change within intercollegiate athletics that presents both opportunities and challenges, and the Big 12 Conference looks forward to continuing to play a major role in its evolution."

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Y’all called your state legislators?

They can’t stop ou from leaving OSU high and dry, but this means the agreement at the Capitol where “if one school gets a dollar, so does the other school” is null and void. Boren and Burns had a pact. They broke it.

Screw ‘em.

I don’t want to see a bond issue, appropriation or endowment that benefits those pricks make it’s way to the governors desk for at least a decade. This could hurt our athletic brand, which for all intense and purpose is a universities main PR department.

Think how campus looked before Eddie Sutton and how it looks now...start winning big-time sports, money comes in. Think we would have the McKnight center, the new business school, the new Ag school without our recent football success?

The more I think about this, the more upset I get.

Let them go to the SEC....make them bleed though at 23rd and Lincoln

Nov 6, 2010
Well not sure how much this will come into play but it might. Even Utah (BYU) is not on this list.

Dude, it is all about the Money, they

can you show us - verified?
Clearly, and I say 70K die hard traveling passionately loyal fans trump a 250K half ass Laker's fans that might get interested in USC if they're in contention for the NC. And when that cable model fully breaks down and it's all about streaming, you can bet the Nebraska fans will trump them.

Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
We are on the verge of our best recruiting class ever, how the heck does Gundy hold it together?

I just read that USC, UCLA,Oregon and Colorado may try to make a move to the Big 10.

How does a public state run school like ou do all of this in secrecy? Sounds like a good time for a bored journalist or lawyer to FOI the hell out of the athletic department, administration and board of regents.

Aug 8, 2015
Ponca City
Y’all called your state legislators?

They can’t stop ou from leaving OSU high and dry, but this means the agreement at the Capitol where “if one school gets a dollar, so does the other school” is null and void. Boren and Burns had a pact. They broke it.

Screw ‘em.

I don’t want to see a bond issue, appropriation or endowment that benefits those pricks make it’s way to the governors desk for at least a decade. This could hurt our athletic brand, which for all intense and purpose is a universities main PR department.

Think how campus looked before Eddie Sutton and how it looks now...start winning big-time sports, money comes in. Think we would have the McKnight center, the new business school, the new Ag school without our recent football success?

The more I think about this, the more upset I get.

Let them go to the SEC....make them bleed though at 23rd and Lincoln
I don't want to beg them to make ou stay, that's pretty weak. I wouldn't mind passing something that would force ou to pay a penalty or something like that if OSU doesn't land a P5 spot. In reality nothing is going to happen like that here or in Texas. Any politician saying stuff on the matter is just positioning without ever really planning on doing anything.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I don't want to beg them to make ou stay, that's pretty weak. I wouldn't mind passing something that would force ou to pay a penalty or something like that if OSU doesn't land a P5 spot. In reality nothing is going to happen like that here or in Texas. Any politician saying stuff on the matter is just positioning without ever really planning on doing anything.
You Misunderstand....I’m not saying that I want them to force their hand...I’m Saying that when the folks from Norman cone to my state legislators door asking for money for some new research facility at Norman they say “nope...we need that money for the vet school at OSU or a new road or a tax cut...basically anything but increased funds for ou...you get all that espn $ now, right? That ought to take care of you for now..”

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
Night games are fun, but late night games suck. The average game time length is 3 hours and 28 minutes, so a 9PM CT kick will typically end around 12:30. If the game runs long or there's any type of weather delay, they could easily end around 1-2AM. Staying up that late is tough once you get past your mid 20's.

That being said, they could probably make some rules that kept X-Big 12 teams from playing that late. The TV networks would have to get on board with that decision though. My biggest worry is that our expenses would be going up while our revenue would be going down. That's a bad combination.
The good news is the complaining about 11:00 am kickoffs would end.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Now this from Barstool:

https://twitter.com/JackMacCFB/status/1418678701135384579?s=19
Dear God, please let this happen. Give the 20 blue bloods their little (semi-pro) sandbox to piss in and let those of us who are passionate about true amateur athletics and Cinderella story and the occasional WOW player from a 1A high school in Pohdunk-Gotebo just lighting it up have our own league of dreams.

Eff every.single.blue blood program. Soooo done with every single one of them.

I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL. But I’ll watch a Boise State-Oregon game over a boring ass Bama-LSU game every day of the week!

Done. So done. It’s the same teams over and over and over and over and over and over. Boring. Zero appeal. ZERO!

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
We are on the verge of our best recruiting class ever, how the heck does Gundy hold it together?

I just read that USC, UCLA,Oregon and Colorado may try to make a move to the Big 10.

How does a public state run school like ou do all of this in secrecy? Sounds like a good time for a bored journalist or lawyer to FOI the hell out of the athletic department, administration and board of regents.
Now this from Barstool:

https://twitter.com/JackMacCFB/status/1418678701135384579?s=19
A mass shake up may actually workout for us better than if it's just OU and UT leaving. Who knows what college football will look like in a few years.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
You Misunderstand....I’m not saying that I want them to force their hand...I’m Saying that when the folks from Norman cone to my state legislators door asking for money for some new research facility at Norman they say “nope...we need that money for the vet school at OSU or a new road or a tax cut...basically anything but increased funds for ou...you get all that espn $ now, right? That ought to take care of you for now..”
Our athletic department gets money from the state. Theirs doesn’t. Maybe the state will give our athletic department more money to help out?