Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 15, 2017
Enid
This very well could be true. going to the pac12 would be an unmitigated disaster for Oklahoma State, kiss athletics good bye. Football would be a 3-9 best record achievable in 5-6 years (playing with only oklahoma recruits and maybe a few from Kansas), wrestling done (probably goes independent if regents willing to fund), baseball might hang in there, bball done (boynton could be gone before end of 2021, heck he could be gone in a couple of weeks). Softball could hang in if school is willing to shell out to keep funding it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
This very well could be true. going to the pac12 would be an unmitigated disaster for Oklahoma State, kiss athletics good bye. Football would be a 3-9 best record achievable in 5-6 years (playing with only oklahoma recruits and maybe a few from Kansas), wrestling done (probably goes independent if regents willing to fund), baseball might hang in there, bball done (boynton could be gone before end of 2021, heck he could be gone in a couple of weeks). Softball could hang in if school is willing to shell out to keep funding it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nope, with Cowboy football where it is at right now we would probably 3rd place over all and they do play basketball on the west coast, I think UCLA has historically been very good. Boynton is not walking away from the loyalty that OSU has shown him. Yes there are good reasons to look at the ACC but they are the no different that the PAC.
I think any Big 10 is a kid whistling in the dark but maybe it is true.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I think there's too much confidence in OU's ability to win based on what they've done in the Big 8 and Big 12. On a nearly annual basis they've lost to teams with far less talent but backed their way into the championship (and usually playoff) because they have far superior talent, connections and resources to most of the conference.

They've had a dominant offense- sure. They also have been able to physically dominate most of their opponents up front and have made a living on less talented defenses.

LSU, Florida, Auburn and Alabama have all won national championships more recently than they have and they were beaten head to head by 3 of them.

I understand that they'll upgrade their talent, but the competition jump will negate that. I compare it to someone getting a salary increase but moving somewhere with higher cost of living - the salary jump has to outpace the cost of living increase.

For OU to be more successful than they are today they'd have to be top 4-5 in recruiting every year and at some point start out recruiting Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Georgia or they aren't going to be able to be able to supplant them.

They've literally never been in a situation where week after week they played physically competitive opponents and they will now. Just don't understand how anyone sees their winning % staying the same or improving.
Elite defensive recruits didn't want any part of the no defense playing Big 12. A move to the SEC should fix OU's defensive recruiting woes. They get that fixed and they are going to be very dangerous.

Dec 19, 2012
My top preference is ACC due to who's in the conference and location of games/ game times. However, I think if the Big Ten offers, you have to take it due to higher payouts. PAC is last resort to me. Lowest payouts and terrible game times, with a bad culture fit. I would definitely take any though!

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
My top preference is ACC due to who's in the conference and location of games/ game times. However, I think if the Big Ten offers, you have to take it due to higher payouts. PAC is last resort to me. Lowest payouts and terrible game times, with a bad culture fit. I would definitely take any though!
Yep, traveling east is much more appealing than traveling west. BIG would be sweet, but I didn't think we had any shot at all--and we may not--but given the changing landscape, that could actually be a possibility.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Nope, with Cowboy football where it is at right now we would probably 3rd place over all and they do play basketball on the west coast, I think UCLA has historically been very good. Boynton is not walking away from the loyalty that OSU has shown him. Yes there are good reasons to look at the ACC but they are the no different that the PAC.
I think any Big 10 is a kid whistling in the dark but maybe it is true.
ACC is better than the pac12 from a national standpoint. Sorry but its true.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Elite defensive recruits didn't want any part of the no defense playing Big 12. A move to the SEC should fix OU's defensive recruiting woes. They get that fixed and they are going to be very dangerous.
they are too 10 nationally in recruiting now how much of a bump can they get?? Also depends on who is on their schedule? If they dont hit the ground running in the SEC it will be hard for them to compete!

Mar 11, 2006
I mean, if true, sounds like we’ve got our foot in the door - which is the hardest part. How could we mess it up?
My Big10 concern is the history of Nebraska. Texas is our recruiting base. Without rivals like Texas, Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc — I am afraid OSU was drop behind Arkansas, MSU, Ole Miss, and Missouri in the eyes of TX recruits.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
My Big10 concern is the history of Nebraska. Texas is our recruiting base. Without rivals like Texas, Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc — I am afraid OSU was drop behind Arkansas, MSU, Ole Miss, and Missouri in the eyes of TX recruits.
Well one benefit is that we’re wayyyyyy closer to Texas metros than Nebraska

also - Oklahoma HS football has gotten so much better lately. We’ve been pulling a lot of studs right from our own state. Nebraska does not have a lot in their own state.