Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
My Big10 concern is the history of Nebraska. Texas is our recruiting base. Without rivals like Texas, Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc — I am afraid OSU was drop behind Arkansas, MSU, Ole Miss, and Missouri in the eyes of TX recruits.
Nebraska also made a colossally bad coaching hire in Bill Callahan, after they fired Frank Solich. That was the beginning of the end for them.

Dec 9, 2013
The best part of landing in the big ten would be watching our academic ranking eclipse OU at some point
While I applaud this and it is noteworthy and this is focused on football...

The wrestling would be insane. A conf of Oklahoma State, Iowa, Penn St, Ohio St, Rutgers, and then throw in the rest.

Dec 9, 2013
Tell the delusional gooner fans over on the bedlam board. They seem to think that they're going to be on top of the world now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I think uo will be ok. I don’t want them to but w Riley at the head they will continue to get premium QBs and Oline. I don’t know that their dline recruiting picks up bc they still will battle TX and A&M for the TX talent. Does changing conf’s change that perspective?

Here’s what the orange glasses on me hopes. For going on 50 yrs they have played in a conf where there has only been 1 other big dog at a time (Neb & TX). And 1 of those was always played on a neutral field. I don’t count us the last 20 yrs bc well bc we somehow can’t beat them other than 1-2 times a decade. Not only have they only had 1 big dog they’ve also had maybe the poorest bottom 3 or 4 over those same 50 yrs. And let’s not forget the recruiting cheating and conference pandering.

Those factors standing alone are an advantage but collectively they are huge. All of that ends day 1 in the SEC except maybe the recruiting cheating but at least they won’t be at the head of the class on that one.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I’m going to respectfully disagree that the PAC 12 is not interested in us, I believe they are and they’re fighting for their own survival. Staying in the Big 12 and replacing those two behemoths with a couple of mid tier also-rans would be the hugest mistake we could make. We would become basically like a Missouri State/Tulsa level squad. Would likely end up as a group of five entry for any hope we had of getting in the playoffs. I think our record in the PAC 12 would be as good or even slightly better than it was in the Big 12 and we could flourish. Plus if that happens I believe it will be an eastern division with the two Arizona’s, Texas Tech, Colorado, TCU and maybe Utah and another.
This very well could be true. going to the pac12 would be an unmitigated disaster for Oklahoma State, kiss athletics good bye. Football would be a 3-9 best record achievable in 5-6 years (playing with only oklahoma recruits and maybe a few from Kansas), wrestling done (probably goes independent if regents willing to fund), baseball might hang in there, bball done (boynton could be gone before end of 2021, heck he could be gone in a couple of weeks). Softball could hang in if school is willing to shell out to keep funding it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow, scorched earth huh?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
my uo buddies are already starting the SEC SEC chants...years of saying how it was over rated, but of course when I mention this they say 'well now it'll be great with the additions...smh...and of course saying how Saturdays will be great with uo vs LSU or GA or Auburn, etc and OSU vs tulane or tulsa or arkansas state, etc...please, please football gods make them middle of the pack in sec!!!

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
If this is true bet it’s a 4 team deal..OSU, tech, ISU and Kansas
Why Tech over KSU?
Texas footprint possibly?
I hate to say it, but it could also be Baylor...better in more sports and good academics...plus they have a dedicated base (‘course so does tech)
We need a Texas footprint and Tech is a better fit and choice over Baylor and TCU, but would the Big 10 really go for a school that far away from their footprint, yea I know footprints don’t mean as much but they can be choosy, especially if they would get the same thing for KSU and it is closer.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
We need a Texas footprint and Tech is a better fit and choice over Baylor and TCU, but would the Big 10 really go for a school that far away from their footprint, yea I know footprints don’t mean as much but they can be choosy, especially if they would get the same thing for KSU and it is closer.
Really not sure about only Tech being the Texas footprint as Lubbock is further away from Texas population centers than Stillwater. I can understand taking TCU and Houston for exposure in the two biggest markets in the state. Would NU, tOSU, Mich rather play in Lubbock or DFW and Houston.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I’m cool with K-State...just figure if you’re going big, go big...and Texas is big

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I disagree.

The catch is now we will play them in September instead of November. It's a match-up that makes us attractive to other conferences and the earlier we play it the better. They tend to drop a game or two early but get stronger as injuries start to add up on teams without depth and their recruiting gives them a bigger talent advantage.

I'd like to find a way to beat the aholes every now and again and this is an opportunity.
There is zero chance we play bedlam football for at least ten years , unless we meet up in postseason or something. OSU will hold the grudge as Texas did with the aggies + HCMG will have no appetite for that as a non con. Ou won’t schedule it either because with an SEC schedule they are going to go all cupcakes in the non con and won’t want their season spoiled by an in state rival with extra motivation.
It’s already been mentioned by ESPN that most of the SEC teams play their in-state rivals (some out of conference) on rivalry weekend which is Thanksgiving weekend, same as we do now. Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, Bama-Auburn, Miss-Miss State, etc.

I vote for refusing to play them in any sport ever again unless it’s in the playoffs. Otherwise it will continue to be a Thanksgiving weekend beat down.
OU-Tulsa on Thanksgiving weekend has a nice ring to it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
The best part of landing in the big ten would be watching our academic ranking eclipse OU at some point
Not to mention the fact that their conference payout is the highest in college football. From a financial standpoint, we would benefit greatly from joining the Big Ten.

Big Ten led all Power Five conferences in revenue for 2020 fiscal year
School payouts
  • Big Ten: $54.3 million
  • SEC: $45.5 million
  • Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million
  • Pac-12: $33.6 million
  • ACC: $30.9 to $37 million