Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
I think there's too much confidence in OU's ability to win based on what they've done in the Big 8 and Big 12. On a nearly annual basis they've lost to teams with far less talent but backed their way into the championship (and usually playoff) because they have far superior talent, connections and resources to most of the conference.

They've had a dominant offense- sure. They also have been able to physically dominate most of their opponents up front and have made a living on less talented defenses.

LSU, Florida, Auburn and Alabama have all won national championships more recently than they have and they were beaten head to head by 3 of them.

I understand that they'll upgrade their talent, but the competition jump will negate that. I compare it to someone getting a salary increase but moving somewhere with higher cost of living - the salary jump has to outpace the cost of living increase.

For OU to be more successful than they are today they'd have to be top 4-5 in recruiting every year and at some point start out recruiting Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Georgia or they aren't going to be able to be able to supplant them.

They've literally never been in a situation where week after week they played physically competitive opponents and they will now. Just don't understand how anyone sees their winning % staying the same or improving.
I agree with most of this, except the last paragraph.

Don’t forget weak teams like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Missouri, and South Carolina are also in the SEC. Occasionally one or two of those teams have a decent season which is normally accompanied with a down year for Florida or Auburn.

SEC top 6 are legit, the rest is pretty weak.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
So I wake up this morning and see in the news that one of the options the "other 8" discussed at their meeting was giving ou and ut an extra half share of revenue each while the rest decrease their cut. I can't even begin to express how much I oppose this deal. It doesn't FIX anything, it just gives the haves more and the have nots less while the underlying problem continues to fester....and then we'll have this same conversation again as THAT deal is about to expire.

If the leadership of OSU votes for such a plan, they run the risk of alienating me as a fan. The Big 12 has been an endangered species for quite some time now and nothing can save it at this point. Let the chips fall where they may.....OSU is widely considered to be the best brand of the remaining 8, we should use that to seize the best possible conference home we can, because who knows how things will be a decade from now. I will be very very very disappointed if we find out later than our leadership hasn't been in constant contact with the 4 remaining power conferences exploring all options of leaving the big 12 ourselves instead of wasting time talking to the big 12 about the best way to bow down and grovel to the sooners and longhorns.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
So I wake up this morning and see in the news that one of the options the "other 8" discussed at their meeting was giving ou and ut an extra half share of revenue each while the rest decrease their cut. I can't even begin to express how much I oppose this deal. It doesn't FIX anything, it just gives the haves more and the have nots less while the underlying problem continues to fester....and then we'll have this same conversation again as THAT deal is about to expire.

If the leadership of OSU votes for such a plan, they run the risk of alienating me as a fan. The Big 12 has been an endangered species for quite some time now and nothing can save it at this point. Let the chips fall where they may.....OSU is widely considered to be the best brand of the remaining 8, we should use that to seize the best possible conference home we can, because who knows how things will be a decade from now. I will be very very very disappointed if we find out later than our leadership hasn't been in constant contact with the 4 remaining power conferences exploring all options of leaving the big 12 ourselves instead of wasting time talking to the big 12 about the best way to bow down and grovel to the sooners and longhorns.
I guarantee you our new president and athletic director are exploring every option. The timing was not ideal with them just assuming their positions three weeks ago but I believe they are both extremely competent individuals and are on top of the situation. I agree with you that taking less of a cut to keep those two prima donnas in our conference is the last thing we should do and I doubt that our leadership would support that. The Big 12 has been a compromised league going back to when four of our members departed. I say make a hard push for the Big Ten or the PAC 12 and get the heck out of Dodge!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Clearly you didn’t get the full story.
The idea was floated at the B12 meeting last Thursday. 3 schools, OSU, TTech and TCU quickly opposed the idea. It was never offered to OU and UT. End of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
The idea was floated at the B12 meeting last Thursday. 3 schools, OSU, TTech and TCU quickly opposed the idea. It was never offered to OU and UT. End of story.

I heard the idea but not who amd when is rejected, do you have a link?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

As for your second topic, indications are strong we’ve reached out to the ACC and B1G. We might have contacted the PAC, but no strong indications I’m aware. However if the PAC is in expansion mode, we’ll surely get a call because, as you stated, we’re the most attractive target out there.

Since it’s fairly clear Shrum/Weiberg knew something was brewing with OU/UT, I’m personally confident we had some sort of game plan already forming when the news broke about OU/UT. As these things go, we won’t know the full story until after the dust settles.

We’ll be okay.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I heard the idea but not who amd when is rejected, do you have a link?
https://pokesreport.com/s/1277/offering-oklahoma-and-texas-more-was-discussed-but-not-agreed-upon

Jan 14, 2006
In the unlikely event the SEC starts taking Ohio St, Clemson, Michigan, FSU etc to form a super conference, we have to try to get in, right?

I know a lot of you are concerned about wins and losses but that kind of money would be a game changer for our whole university.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
We are based in Stillwater, but our Alums are mostly in Tulsa, OKC, Dallas and Houston.
More important is how rabid fans fill-up the stadiums; win or lose? Season tickets holders, follow to bowl games, turn on the TV sets, busy up the sport forums, youtubes, etc...

You may be in the center of LA like UCLA, but 90% don't know who UCLA is playing this Saturday? What for?

At oSu, in Stillwater with population of under 50K (inclusive of babies and grandmas), we filled up the 60K stadiums with loyal fans.

....continue your supports of oSu football. It matters!
I should have been more clear, my thought on an attractive Texas footprint for either BIG or PAC is for recruiting purposes. Their are more high schools, players and coaches you can visit at school, in home, at dinner or invite to the game during your brief visit than you can see or get to Lubbock for a game. Those two Metro areas are larger than most states in either the PAC or BIG footprint.

DFW MSA = 7.5 million
Houston MSA = 7.2 million

other population centers within 2-3 hours of either DFW or Houston
San Antonio MSA = 2.5 million
Austin MSA = 2.2 million

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I never thought the B1G was a real possibility, but I'd be game. Selfishly, that's because I live in Nebraska.

Also, for those saying the move to the B1G killed Nebraska's recruiting, that is a tiny part of it and their recruiting hasn't been bad when they've had decent coaches. Problem is, they keep firing decent coaches and follow that by hiring awful coaches: Solich-Callahan, Pelini-Riley. All of Frost's classes have been top 25. If they don't have a decent season this year, it's not because of recruiting.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I never thought the B1G was a real possibility, but I'd be game. Selfishly, that's because I live in Nebraska.

Also, for those saying the move to the B1G killed Nebraska's recruiting, that is a tiny part of it and their recruiting hasn't been bad when they've had decent coaches. Problem is, they keep firing decent coaches and follow that by hiring awful coaches: Solich-Callahan, Pelini-Riley. All of Frost's classes have been top 25. If they don't have a decent season this year, it's not because of recruiting.
I’m holding out on the slim hope we can land in the BIG, but I’m still okay with it if we don’t. I’m just happy I don’t have to wake up every day as a sooner fan.

Sep 9, 2013
The BIG sticks with AAU requirement bc presidents, not athletic directors, make the conference affiliation decisions. The BIG leads the nation in research dollars(were talking billions, dwarfing sports payouts). And those presidents have not looked in past too keen to add schools who dont add to their Research Alliance.

All that said, if the BIG did bend the rules, I think Oklahoma State is by far the best candidate (of the Big 12 remnants). All bets are off if they raid the ACC.

With Oklahoma State's success in football, basketball, baseball, and wrestling, you have checked the boxes on the only 4 revenue sports. And of course wrestling is huge in the BIG.

Oklahoma will land on its feet. to me, the worst case scenario would be the PAC, which is dead, and i dont see adding Oklahoma State, Tech, and 2 other teams as saving it.

Id love to end up in ACC with Oklahoma State, Texas tech, Kstate, Kansas, and TCU(to hell with baylor and ISU).

problem for ISU? no baseball team, and really not much above Kansas in football once matt c leaves, and no conference is going to take ISU thinking he stays long term.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor

As much as I hate agreeing with Gumby that is what happened. It's being selectively edited by the goon media to make the remaining 8 look pitiful and weak.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
The BIG sticks with AAU requirement bc presidents, not athletic directors, make the conference affiliation decisions. The BIG leads the nation in research dollars(were talking billions, dwarfing sports payouts). And those presidents have not looked in past too keen to add schools who dont add to their Research Alliance.

All that said, if the BIG did bend the rules, I think Oklahoma State is by far the best candidate (of the Big 12 remnants). All bets are off if they raid the ACC.

With Oklahoma State's success in football, basketball, baseball, and wrestling, you have checked the boxes on the only 4 revenue sports. And of course wrestling is huge in the BIG.

Oklahoma will land on its feet. to me, the worst case scenario would be the PAC, which is dead, and i dont see adding Oklahoma State, Tech, and 2 other teams as saving it.

Id love to end up in ACC with Oklahoma State, Texas tech, Kstate, Kansas, and TCU(to hell with baylor and ISU).

problem for ISU? no baseball team, and really not much above Kansas in football once matt c leaves, and no conference is going to take ISU thinking he stays long term.
I referenced in an earlier post how we will all learn soon enough what kind of political chops our new President and AD have, and to your point about research dollars, point well taken. However, in light of the successes and reputation of our AG and vet programs, and the fact our President is an actual physician, I’m hoping she can show them what our future could easily be in related research.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

I've thought the same thing, but if they don't want to add a second Iowa school, they're going to likely have to break that for any expansion. KU is the other only half decent option available that is AAU.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

If BIG bends the rules then add OSU and WVU, balanced addition with 1 to each division.

This talk of SEC going to 20-24 could make things interesting. BIG is the only conference that can compete with them. Would Clem, FSU and Miami consider BIG over SEC? If BIG looks West they would need multiple PAC teams to form a Western Pod.

Sep 9, 2013
ESPN radio just reported WVU to ACC will be the first move by the Big 12 remnants.
I woulds certainly hope ACC has the sense to see the value Oklahoma State brings.

While Oklahoma State would be a geographic outlier in ACC, I think that would still be best landing for you other than BIG or SEC.

Sep 9, 2013
If BIG bends the rules then add OSU and WVU, balanced addition with 1 to each division.

This talk of SEC going to 20-24 could make things interesting. BIG is the only conference that can compete with them. Would Clem, FSU and Miami consider BIG over SEC? If BIG looks West they would need multiple PAC teams to form a Western Pod.
Or the BIG could just add USC and Oregon and call it a day. i think the days of geographic limitation will end.