Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

fratdaddy

Banned
Banned
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Please enlighten me as to how they are in the benefitting OSU business?
Because we too are better off pursuing many of our other options that do seem to exist. PAC, B1G, ACC, and AAC are all calling, whatever that means. It's not a guaranty but what it means is that the conference office staff like the idea, and will bring the request to their ADs. They won't do that for anything they don't like. This is the way any good bureaucracy operates.

We can make more money and have a clearer path to the Playoff in another conference as opposed to wading through a shorthanded, good but underrated, Big 12. We (those who are relevant for the Playoff) all can. OU is better off. Texas is better off. We may be best off (shoutout to Melania). In fact, everyone may be better off.

Even those who don't land in a Power 4/3/2 conference, may be better off. K-State and Baylor are even better off in a Boise situation, with the new G5 friendly 8/12-team playoff. I hope KSU makes the move wherever we go - their fans are awesome and I admire their program - but even they can't do any worse than the current Big 12.

This is about money and K-State and Iowa State have never had it. OK State has had it thanks to T Boone, and needs to maintain a certain operational level for better or worse. We have an expensive house, as do OU and Texas.

We may even need this more than OU/Texas, with T Boone gone (RIP). Think about it. Are any of us writing T Boone-sized checks?

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Here is my very uninformed opinion. This all comes down to licensing. The school in Norman (and several others) has restructured their licensing as it pertains to merchandise, raising their licensing fees and eliminating a lot of vendors. I see the 'SEC' evolving into a professional league where the names and mascots of the participating universities are licensed to this new league - totally separating themselves from the universities.
1. WATCH TOM LASSO ON APPLE
I guarantee it’s based on Gundy.

2. The rest of the conferences are tired of SEC.

THIS WILL BE THE FUTURE

SEC becomes the premier league. Feeder and farmer to the NFL.

They will expand to 24 teams.

They will only play each other.

The ncaa will cover everyone else. Pure amateur football. The worst SEC team will be kicked out every year. The best team from the rest will take their spot. And we all get what we want.

I’m going to pour another one.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I wonder if Castiglionne is on the phone cutting our legs out from under us with other conferences?
I seriously doubt that. Why would he possibly care? Go, stay, whatever we do is up to our leadership. His job is to negotiate the best possible arrangement for the university he represents.

I have read dozens of pages of “expert” opinions on both sides. Haven’t found one yet that this was some kind of secret ploy to “get OSU” (except on here). It makes us look silly to suggest it and that’s not helpful while we try to find a place to land.

fratdaddy

Banned
Banned
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Well the thing is we're all doing it to get (all) the other schools, not just any one. It's a very competitive move, just not one directed toward a single school. More like all 120+

#byebig12

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Had they not done it in secrecy it would have been blocked. I promise OU is not considering OSU in this deals, including trashing us. Stop drinking the little brother koolaid

these are university presidents with multiple graduate degrees making these decisions, not fan boys. They are making business decisions, I assure you the only thing they are worrying about right now is to limit the financial and PR damage coming their way when they break the GOR. That would include hoping that enough members find acceptance in leagues to break up the big 12 altogether. No big 12, no huge legal buy out. The only conferences they don’t want us in are secsecsec and the big 12.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
That issue has been discussed with no consensus that I can tell as to whether or not that “requirement” is still enforced, or if it would be enforced given the current situation. Given our track record with ag and Vet related academics and research, I would think we could at least already be in a position to easily obtain any cert needed. Just not quite sure what all is involved in that. Sports and academics considered, I’d be very happy to be a part of the BIG.
Hope you are right.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Is it within the realm of possibility for OSU to achieve AAU status any time soon?

Would the potential inclusion in the Big 10 make it any easier for OSU to get accreditation?

I'm just curious if any deal with the Big 10 (however unlikely) would include some sort of stipulation requiring OSU to achieve AAU status in short order. I really don't know anything about how this accreditation stuff works.

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk