Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I just remember the goon knives coming out in 2011 and their lack of "help" or the wrong kind of "help". If they could push our program down the steps of oblivion it makes their presence bigger and recruiting easier.
We barely recruit the same players.

Oklahoma doesn’t worry about OSU stepping on their coattails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Talyn Shettron says hey!
No don't you know he doesn't count because he was going to be low on the totem pole cuz they're stacked with wide receivers and probably would transfer out anyway or overrated. I don't know there's some excuse that they've got for it I know they always do.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
If that happened, there might be a freeze in Big12 teams moving and instead they try and stick it out through 2024. Force the money from OU and Texas or make them stay for 4 more years.

Adding Wash State, Ore State, Utah, and the Arizona schools to the Big12 would make for a horrible dis-jointed conference.

Edit: However this would be the most Big12 thing ever and could totally see Bowlsby cramming it down our throats.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
If that happened, there might be a freeze in Big12 teams moving and instead they try and stick it out through 2024. Force the money from OU and Texas or make them stay for 4 more years.

Adding Wash State, Ore State, Utah, and the Arizona schools to the Big12 would make for a horrible dis-jointed conference.
If the B1G goes 20, so will the SEC and those new teams will come from the ACC. In that case we should join with the Zonas and some ACC teams, and the remaining Big 8.

Edit: 2 teams from Texas would be enough. Jettison Rapelor.

Aug 16, 2012
It will be REAL interesting to see how these dominos fall b/c there's a chance that all of us will be technically stuck in Big XII until everyone has a landing place and the conference can dissolve w/o enforcing exist penalties and holding onto GoR. Somewhere I read (on here I believe) that the exit penalties are enforceable as long as there are 3 members left. If OU/UT > SEC; WV > ACC; KU/ISU > Big10; OSU/??? > PAC12 and they get to 16 by looking elsewhere, that leaves 3 Big XII teams holding the bag and all the exit penalties and GoR hostage.
Not sure why you got an X for that but it is completely valid. The top 4-5 could get invites somewhere and the bottom 3 nothing, so we would also owe the Leftover12 $76M. All the remaining dominos will have to fall at the same time which could muck up the works

Dec 3, 2012
So, do the remaining big12 cite covid protocol for not playing ou and texas this year leaving them with not enough games to be considered for the playoffs. Just a thought for a parting gift.
It would do more than that - the two teams would end up hosting no home conference games this season. That would massively hurt their bottom line.

Then the conference votes 8-2 to keep current protocols in place until 2025, suggesting the same result every year until they leave the conference. This forces them to leave ASAP and either enforce the GOR or pay a large lump sum to break their contract.

Of course, the schools would never act this harshly (A&M isn't in the Big 12 anymore) - so the two teams will probably get a much softer exit than they deserve.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Robert Allen just said on the radio that he can report that OSU had been talking with other conferences for several weeks and none have shut the door on the talks.
Also said that even though we aren't aau, we are tier 1 which helps in regards to big ten.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
If the B1G goes 20, so will the SEC and those new teams will come from the ACC. In that case we should join with the Zonas and some ACC teams, and the remaining Big 8.

Edit: 2 teams from Texas would be enough. Jettison Rapelor.
If B1G/SEC goes to 20 and they get their dream colleges from the PAC12/ACC, then it is game over and I'm done watching college football.

Even targeting the Zonas and the top of the ACC left-overs (N Carolina, NC State, Va Tech, Virginia, Louisville, Duke) and UCF, Cin, Memphis, Houston's to round off the 20 teams. ( I wouldn't want to add ACC: WF, GTech, Syracuse, Pitt.)

It would still be a huge step down from the B1G and SEC.

Dec 3, 2012
Not sure why you got an X for that but it is completely valid. The top 4-5 could get invites somewhere and the bottom 3 nothing, so we would also owe the Leftover12 $76M. All the remaining dominos will have to fall at the same time which could muck up the works
What probably happens is OU and UT approach the conference about breaking their contract. In order to avoid the game of chicken you're describing, the conference allows them out for a lump sum payment at some lower amount. The remaining teams take that money and the next round of realignment within the conference begins (further defections and/or invitations to top G5 teams).

marvin7

Greenhorn
Dec 12, 2020
OKC
Something everyone seems to understand but me (or at least accept it without questioning)...
Why would a conference care about whether their NCAA athletic programs are AAU members? If the Big Ten lets in an a school with a powerhouse athletic program that has hardly any research and low academic standards, what does it matter to them? Take Northwestern, for example. How does it specifically hurt them?

Maybe the idea is that an arms race for athletic dominance would put a school's priorities out of whack over time, so you establish an agreement with other schools to maintain a minimum of academic excellence, and as long as everyone sticks to it, that preserves all the schools' true purpose. The problem with that is

a) in the modern age, excitement over athletics leads to school growth and more academic donations. Northwestern plays in a conference with athletic excitement, and to that end, a rising tide floats all boats. Yet analogously, the academic prowess of another school in their athletic conference shouldn't affect them much. Research donors might be motivated by not wanting their school to fall behind other schools, but it would surely be a lesser effect than athletics (not saying this is justified, just saying...), and grants shouldn't be affected at all.

b) the majority of the NCAA, including the conference that's been dominating the last 15 years, doesn't care about the AAU.

I don't get it.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Yeah I don't why the "X" either...guess it's someone leading with their emotions rather than stepping back and seeing the big picture

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
If B1G/SEC goes to 20 and they get their dream colleges from the PAC12/ACC, then it is game over and I'm done watching college football.

Even targeting the Zonas and the top of the ACC left-overs (N Carolina, NC State, Va Tech, Virginia, Louisville, Duke) and UCF, Cin, Memphis, Houston's to round off the 20 teams. ( I wouldn't want to add ACC: WF, GTech, Syracuse, Pitt.)

Yes it would.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
What probably happens is OU and UT approach the conference about breaking their contract. In order to avoid the game of chicken you're describing, the conference allows them out for a lump sum payment at some lower amount. The remaining teams take that money and the next round of realignment within the conference begins (further defections and/or invitations to top G5 teams).
Yeah but remember ESPN and FOX will have a say in all this too. ESPN of course will advocate the 'divorce' as they are on both sides of the fence. FOX loses out though as a piece of their CFB pie will shrink. Wonder how that dynamic plays out too

Dec 3, 2012

True, we would probably not make the cut if the college landscape goes to two mega-conferences today. However, that process may take years. That's why I would vote for the BIG10 if given a choice, because they seem the most likely candidate for a second mega-conference, and once you're in it's hard to get left out (Hi Vanderbilt).

At the same time, two mega-conferences is still better for OSU than the SEC simply engulfing all the best teams. I see no way the SEC would ever invite OSU (because of its redundancy with OU), but I COULD see OSU getting picked by a second conference hoping to compete with the SEC in Texas and Oklahoma....

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Something everyone seems to understand but me (or at least accept it without questioning)...
Why would a conference care about whether their NCAA athletic programs are AAU members? If the Big Ten lets in an a school with a powerhouse athletic program that has hardly any research and low academic standards, what does it matter to them? Take Northwestern, for example. How does it specifically hurt them?

Maybe the idea is that an arms race for athletic dominance would put a school's priorities out of whack over time, so you establish an agreement with other schools to maintain a minimum of academic excellence, and as long as everyone sticks to it, that preserves all the schools' true purpose. The problem with that is

a) in the modern age, excitement over athletics leads to school growth and more academic donations. Northwestern plays in a conference with athletic excitement, and to that end, a rising tide floats all boats. Yet analogously, the academic prowess of another school in their athletic conference shouldn't affect them much. Research donors might be motivated by not wanting their school to fall behind other schools, but it would surely be a lesser effect than athletics (not saying this is justified, just saying...), and grants shouldn't be affected at all.

b) the majority of the NCAA, including the conference that's been dominating the last 15 years, doesn't care about the AAU.

I don't get it.

It's a way for the Presidents to feel important and retain some control and pretend to be academic centric b/c the reality with most of the universities we're talking about here is that college athletics drives the bus