Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 3, 2012
Yeah but remember ESPN and FOX will have a say in all this too. ESPN of course will advocate the 'divorce' as they are on both sides of the fence. FOX loses out though as a piece of their CFB pie will shrink. Wonder how that dynamic plays out too
Great point - I have no idea how these arrangements are made. FOX may have some clause that allows for a renegotiated contract in the case of conference realignment...

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Yeah but remember ESPN and FOX will have a say in all this too. ESPN of course will advocate the 'divorce' as they are on both sides of the fence. FOX loses out though as a piece of their CFB pie will shrink. Wonder how that dynamic plays out too
I was thinking the same thing. Assuming this goes down like we anticipate and this is the last year of of the Big XII, does Fox Sports sue OU and Texas for breech of contract? This move affects their bottom line.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Something everyone seems to understand but me (or at least accept it without questioning)...
Why would a conference care about whether their NCAA athletic programs are AAU members? If the Big Ten lets in an a school with a powerhouse athletic program that has hardly any research and low academic standards, what does it matter to them? Take Northwestern, for example. How does it specifically hurt them?

Maybe the idea is that an arms race for athletic dominance would put a school's priorities out of whack over time, so you establish an agreement with other schools to maintain a minimum of academic excellence, and as long as everyone sticks to it, that preserves all the schools' true purpose. The problem with that is

a) in the modern age, excitement over athletics leads to school growth and more academic donations. Northwestern plays in a conference with athletic excitement, and to that end, a rising tide floats all boats. Yet analogously, the academic prowess of another school in their athletic conference shouldn't affect them much. Research donors might be motivated by not wanting their school to fall behind other schools, but it would surely be a lesser effect than athletics (not saying this is justified, just saying...), and grants shouldn't be affected at all.

b) the majority of the NCAA, including the conference that's been dominating the last 15 years, doesn't care about the AAU.

I don't get it.
Not to mention if they want to be true to their word they need to boot Nebraska. As they are no longer a part of the AAU. So either go full bore with your principles and boot nebraska and bring in ISU and Kansas and some other AAU or STFU.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
When you are on a sinking ship that might not have enough life boats, it's generally not the best time to sit around and discuss the best way to make sure the people already on life boats pay back the money they owe you....it's time to go find your own life boat.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
I was thinking the same thing. Assuming this goes down like we anticipate and this is the last year of of the Big XII, does Fox Sports sue OU and Texas for breech of contract? This move affects their bottom line.
The only guarantee I can make out of all this is that all the lawyers will get richer.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
True, we would probably not make the cut if the college landscape goes to two mega-conferences today. However, that process may take years. That's why I would vote for the BIG10 if given a choice, because they seem the most likely candidate for a second mega-conference, and once you're in it's hard to get left out (Hi Vanderbilt).
Edit: Agree almost 100%. It depends on the ACC and if the member schools can get our of their GORs which run to 34/35/36?

At the same time, two mega-conferences is still better for OSU than the SEC simply engulfing all the best teams. I see no way the SEC would ever invite OSU (because of its redundancy with OU), but I COULD see OSU getting picked by a second conference hoping to compete with the SEC in Texas and Oklahoma....
I don't believe our SEC chances are zero. They're pretty low, but not zero. I figure we're in the 5-7 range of choices, probably ahead of a third Florida team. Problem being there are at least four teams ahead of us that would say yes. If we did join the SEC it would have nothing to do with OU's "coattails".

Dec 3, 2012
Something everyone seems to understand but me (or at least accept it without questioning)...
Why would a conference care about whether their NCAA athletic programs are AAU members? If the Big Ten lets in an a school with a powerhouse athletic program that has hardly any research and low academic standards, what does it matter to them? Take Northwestern, for example. How does it specifically hurt them?

Maybe the idea is that an arms race for athletic dominance would put a school's priorities out of whack over time, so you establish an agreement with other schools to maintain a minimum of academic excellence, and as long as everyone sticks to it, that preserves all the schools' true purpose. The problem with that is

a) in the modern age, excitement over athletics leads to school growth and more academic donations. Northwestern plays in a conference with athletic excitement, and to that end, a rising tide floats all boats. Yet analogously, the academic prowess of another school in their athletic conference shouldn't affect them much. Research donors might be motivated by not wanting their school to fall behind other schools, but it would surely be a lesser effect than athletics (not saying this is justified, just saying...), and grants shouldn't be affected at all.

b) the majority of the NCAA, including the conference that's been dominating the last 15 years, doesn't care about the AAU.

I don't get it.
I have been wondering this as well. One factor could be the way US News and World Report creates their college rankings. The most significant factor is the schools "reputation score." The people ranking these universities by reputation don't have the time/desire/resources to accurately rank all the schools - so things like your conference's reputation end up having an impact in the school's reputation.

It's not hard to imagine a world where OSU goes to the B1G and as a result, 25 years from now, OSU's academic reputation has significantly improved.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
True, we would probably not make the cut if the college landscape goes to two mega-conferences today. However, that process may take years. That's why I would vote for the BIG10 if given a choice, because they seem the most likely candidate for a second mega-conference, and once you're in it's hard to get left out (Hi Vanderbilt).

At the same time, two mega-conferences is still better for OSU than the SEC simply engulfing all the best teams. I see no way the SEC would ever invite OSU (because of its redundancy with OU), but I COULD see OSU getting picked by a second conference hoping to compete with the SEC in Texas and Oklahoma....
Hopefully, if they did go to 2 mega conferences they would simply take the top 32 (or 64) football programs and reassign the Vandys and Wakes of the world. Even at 32 we would be comfortably in.

Dec 3, 2012
Hopefully, if they did go to 2 mega conferences they would simply take the top 32 (or 64) football programs and reassign the Vandys and Wakes of the world. Even at 32 we would be comfortably in.
That would make too much sense for the world of College Football...

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Check out this twitter thread. It has a lot of good information that illustrates why OSU will be a valuable commodity on the free agency market. We have better football TV ratings than any other remaining Big 12 school.

1627317314511.png

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

I don't get it.
It is a way of making sure that academics are prioritized even though the association is primarily based on athletics. They also do have a legitimate academic side to B1G alliances. As others have mentioned, there is also something to having a cultural fit between institutions even if not as much the states where they're located.