Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 29, 2006
Not real likely but if the remaining AD’s had the balls an new B12 of:

Neb
Colo
ISU
KU
KSU
Arky
OSU
Mizz
TT
BU
TCU
Houston

Wouldn’t be any Blue Bloods but LOTS of eyeballs in that group

Sep 29, 2006
I think there is a possibility the new “Business Model” would be for the new B12, post apocalypse to morph into a Basketball conference because of the lower expenses.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
If this happens our best bet is probably the ACC. Not much chance for the Big Ten over Kansas and Iowa State and PAC would suck hard.

I'm the end if this happens there is only one way it is good for OSU. That is if it dissolves into a full power 5 merger and we get regional realignment.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I seem to remember that when A&M joined the SEC, it was mentioned that current SEC members could veto schools from the same state joining the conference. If so, A&M would love nothing more than denying UT joining the SEC. Anyone know if that's true?

Joining the PAC would be my third choice. First would be the ACC, then a rebuilt Big XII.

Oct 30, 2007
We would stay in the Big 12 along with whatever mediocre teams they bring in as a stopgap. We don’t have enough power to get in other leagues by ourselves, would just have to make the best of this league along with other schools who get left behind.
and it would be a non-major conference lower than the mid-majors. winning that big12 would get you into a Dec 15 bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
OU and Texas have to do grown up stuff. We should have been more proactive. We chose not to be.

Link up with some combination of BYU, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State and join the Pac 16.

The Big 12 is over. It's been en route to over when Texas formed their own network and every conference member washed their feet.

There are two marketable teams available UCF and BYU. Bob Bowlsby was too much of dipstick to have been proactive about expansion.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
OU and Texas have to do grown up stuff. We should have been more proactive. We chose not to be.

Link up with some combination of BYU, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State and join the Pac 16.

The Big 12 is over. It's been en route to over when Texas formed their own network and every conference member washed their feet.

There are two marketable teams available UCF and BYU. Bob Bowlsby was too much of dipstick to have been proactive about expansion.
This is spot on. I would prefer ACC or Big 10 though pac 12 games at 9 at night to watch oklahoma state play oregon state and wazzu is going to suck.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
It has nothing to do with the Big Ten; Texas could get in there, but not OU.

Media is not going to die on either of these schools if they don't win. This is a brand move, and associating with the SEC will keep them relevant no matter what.
Let us remember the great years of the 90's, the media attention shrunk greatly from the 1970's and 1980's, they lost season ticket holders, media love and fan attention. Let them go to get their brand reduced.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
This is spot on. I would prefer ACC or Big 10 though pac 12 games at 9 at night to watch oklahoma state play oregon state and wazzu is going to suck.
Take a nap on Saturday afternoons silly goose.

We get 100 people at the Los Angeles and Orange County watch parties to watch 9AM games.

Night football is so much more fun than day games;

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

Even if we added them it wouldn't matter. I can't say what I think about uo and the sips outside of the AV but without them it doesn't matter how many people follow UCF. It sucks but conferences need flagship schools. The AAC has plenty of solid programs and they get $5 million per year from ESPN. We can do better with a rebuilt Big 12 but us and West Virginia aren't capable of headlining conferences that have multiple blue bloods.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Maybe this could lead to conference collapse followed by a regional division system in football leading to a playoffs with a salary cap and profit sharing scheme since we are already skating awful close to paying players?

naw... our best bet is probably the pac...and that sucks...still better than MAC or WAC though...ACC isn’t any better and we would slam into Clemson all the time...

Oct 30, 2007
Take a nap on Saturday afternoons silly goose.

We get 100 people at the Los Angeles and Orange County watch parties to watch 9AM games.

Night football is so much more fun than day games;
Night games are fun, but late night games suck. The average game time length is 3 hours and 28 minutes, so a 9PM CT kick will typically end around 12:30. If the game runs long or there's any type of weather delay, they could easily end around 1-2AM. Staying up that late is tough once you get past your mid 20's.

That being said, they could probably make some rules that kept X-Big 12 teams from playing that late. The TV networks would have to get on board with that decision though. My biggest worry is that our expenses would be going up while our revenue would be going down. That's a bad combination.

Nov 6, 2010
Maybe this could lead to conference collapse followed by a regional division system in football leading to a playoffs with a salary cap and profit sharing scheme since we are already skating awful close to paying players?

naw... our best bet is probably the pac...and that sucks...still better than MAC or WAC though...ACC isn’t any better and we would slam into Clemson all the time...
I think something like this is a more likely scenario, the entire system is going to break down and be built back up in a totally different manner. The NCAA has pretty much thrown in the towel already, and they were the only thing that kept this game even close to a level playing field. People keep talking about 4 16 team super conferences, but if OU and Texas join the SEC, that league will be so completely ahead of all the others, then the idea of 3 other conferences kinda goes out the window too. This has the feel to me of something more like 32 teams in a "money" league of some kind, and the rest of us being more like true amateur sports used to be, and maybe that's not a bad thing in the long run.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I don't see this happening. A&M will lose the minds and do everything to prevent UT from joining the SEC. It's the entire reason they left. Bama would have to shift to the east and they don't want that either. There will be political ramifications here and in Texas. Add that to problematic TV deals where those two can't join any other conference until 2026 and this just doesn't seem feasible. Maybe someday, but seems improbable at the moment and not in this way.

Jun 26, 2011
We would stay in the Big 12 along with whatever mediocre teams they bring in as a stopgap. We don’t have enough power to get in other leagues by ourselves, would just have to make the best of this league along with other schools who get left behind.
If uo and Texas leave the big 12 will cease to exist.