Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 14, 2008
Texas
It is a way of making sure that academics are prioritized even though the association is primarily based on athletics. They also do have a legitimate academic side to B1G alliances. As others have mentioned, there is also something to having a cultural fit between institutions even if not as much the states where they're located.
With every increased dollar, those 'importances' fall by the wayside and these universities show their true character. It's not higher education...it's just business.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Dec 3, 2012
Opinion: Ohio State needs Big Ten to outflank SEC by joining forces with ACC/Notre Dame
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...g-ten-outflank-sec-acc-notre-dame/8093348002/

Buckle up.
Good Article - thanks for sharing.

If I were Ohio State, I would be calling up Clemson and discussing how they can cobble together a conference that rivals (or surpasses) the SEC. You can't keep all 28 ACC+B1G members, so either someone defects or both conferences are completely blown up... A second option would be join the dark side and call the SEC. I think the author is correct that keeping the conferences as they are currently arranged would result in a slow death at the hands of the SEC for all other major programs.

marvin7

Greenhorn
Dec 12, 2020
OKC
It is a way of making sure that academics are prioritized even though the association is primarily based on athletics. They also do have a legitimate academic side to B1G alliances. As others have mentioned, there is also something to having a cultural fit between institutions even if not as much the states where they're located.
With every increased dollar, those 'importances' fall by the wayside and these universities show their true character. It's not higher education...it's just business.
An earlier post basically responded that the reason is optics. I would say I question if the 'AAU or bust' way of thinking is a little naive in 2021, but then I would have said the same thing ten years ago.

It's not that I don't understand why the academic side of the school wouldn't to be in the AAU. Just keep in mind we're talking about the athletic programs here. Are schools' athletic programs required to meet AAU requirements for the rest of the school to be an AAU member? If yes, that's a good enough answer for me.* I'm not looking for an philosophical debate on AAU principles here, I just wanted an explanation that made reasonable sense.

*I take that back, it's a reason why a school president would want their own school to be in the AAU, but not a reason why Northwestern would care if OkState was.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Texas
An earlier post basically responded that the reason is optics. I would say I question if the 'AAU or bust' way of thinking is a little naive in 2021, but then I would have said the same thing ten years ago.

It's not that I don't understand why the academic side of the school wouldn't to be in the AAU. Just keep in mind we're talking about the athletic programs here. Are schools' athletic programs required to meet AAU requirements for the rest of the school to be an AAU member? If yes, that's a good enough answer for me. I'm not looking for an philosophical debate on AAU principles here, I just wanted an explanation that made reasonable sense.
The only reasonable argument I see about sticking to the AAU requirements is the fear that a non-AAU university doesn't have the same educational entrance requirements thus doesn't have handcuffs when it comes to recruiting 'best athletes'. The lax AAU requirement for ND is as much about their already stiff entrance requirements (thus an equal playing field) as their historical athletics prestige.

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
https://mobile.twitter.com/matthayescfb/status/1419693456365064194

Looks like this season will be the Big 12’s last. The way I see it. This is tryouts for OSU to get in other conferences. Win the Big 12, beat the goons and public reception will be much more favorable for us.

In other words, we have to put the money where our mouths are.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Robert Allen just said on the radio that he can report that OSU had been talking with other conferences for several weeks and none have shut the door on the talks.
Also said that even though we aren't aau, we are tier 1 which helps in regards to big ten.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Robert is never going to say anything bad about any situation with OSU Athletics.

Calling it now.....weeks of twitter rumors that we are going to one of the major conferences and then it'll be announced that we are going to the AAC.
Nah. If we're stuck, that means others are too, which means the Big 12 remnants will poach from the AAC or Mountain West. We'd be the new Big East.

They are to be expected, but everyone needs to be prepared that all the articles that will come out about leaving out Big 12 schools or encouraging major conference mergers are being published to help shape public opinion in favor of just those scenarios. No one here wants it, but be prepared that G5 might really be coming.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
https://mobile.twitter.com/matthayescfb/status/1419693456365064194

Looks like this season will be the Big 12’s last. The way I see it. This is tryouts for OSU to get in other conferences. Win the Big 12, beat the goons and public reception will be much more favorable for us.

In other words, we have to put the money where our mouths are.
I think we will know where we will be before the season kicks off

marvin7

Greenhorn
Dec 12, 2020
OKC
The only reasonable argument I see about sticking to the AAU requirements is the fear that a non-AAU university doesn't have the same educational entrance requirements thus doesn't have handcuffs when it comes to recruiting 'best athletes'. The lax AAU requirement for ND is as much about their already stiff entrance requirements (thus an equal playing field) as their historical athletics prestige.
Hmmm. If Northwestern is going to get thrashed on the field, they at least want it to be from a school that has certain academic standards for its athletes. I'll have to think about that one, because as I mentioned before, the SEC and most colleges aren't playing by those rules, so it's happening anyway in an era where conference standings (and championships) are becoming marginalized. But I could see why a college may have cared about that 30 years ago.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
What I don't understand is why AAU membership and research endowment is a qualification for an ATHLETIC conference. Makes absolutely no sense.
It's an antiquated requirement based on the idea that there is a level recruitment field. In today's day and age with the multi-billion dollar revenues the requirements have become more 'guidelines'. I think this round of conference shuffling those AAU requirements will be brushed aside

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
What I don't understand is why AAU membership and research endowment is a qualification for an ATHLETIC conference. Makes absolutely no sense.
Because it is not a athletic only conference, it is an academic conference that plays sports and that is deeply ingrained into the big 10

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
It was a method to keep rift raft from entering the conference. JoPa made a big deal of it back in the day. Otherwise, it's irrational. ADs and jocks don't set R&D budgets.

Apr 7, 2006
I read an ESPN article earlier that said there's still a chance Texas could get suited by another conference and not go SEC when all is said and done. Hadn't really considered that. They are a high maintenance chick - they love to fought for.

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Or put another ways is it a research endowment conference that prides itself on being in an elite membership, that has good athletics? To put into context, OU may be getting an invite to join the SEC, but can't cut the mustard in being invited to be an AAU member.

Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
The big 12 president to sit down with fox and espn and see what combination of 4 schools would get us the most mo ey in a TV deal.

I am warming up to the idea of adding Byu, Houston, Cincy and Memphis. That would the most entertaining conference to watch in all of football. Would also make our basketball better than it is now. Hoops would be a hell schedule.

Aug 16, 2012
Hopefully in the future, our football players will major in Physics..
Speaking of which, missus flew to NJ last Wednesday and sat next to Anthony Bland who, if you know Stillwater HS football, could very well have played for OSU (caught passes from Gunnar for three years and works out with all the OSU QBs except Sanders I hear), but took his talent and head to Princeton where he will major in either civil engineering or architecture. There was a kid who ups the academic profile much like Devin Hedgepeth did almost 10 years ago with his honors level industrial engineering work. Last I heard Hedgepeth had walked away from a career at ExxonMobil to attend the Stanford Business School.