Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
That offer can't come yet and won't come for a while. We need to get to where OU and UT are in order for that to happen. In the meantime, you can still let Big 12 brass and the other schools talk to Fox and ESPN about a package like the one mentioned. You then listen and politely decline that offer once the other conference invite comes. It does not hurt you and in doing that, you're being decent partners, unlike UT and OU. Looking out for your own security and being decent human beings don't always have to conflict.
If we are still in the "big 12" at the beginning of next year, we are IN TROUBLE!

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
If we are still in the "big 12" at the beginning of next year, we are IN TROUBLE!
I agree. Never said it would take a year. It's going to take a few weeks to a few months to get the invite and timing set up. You can be a decent partner in the meantime and allow other schools that you are still in a conference with and have been for 16 years to explore alternate options. You'll decline the option to stay, but again, it doesn't hurt you to let them explore. If nothing else, it's good to have backup options if for some reason that B1G or PAC invite doesn't come (I think it will, but who really knows?)

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
A lot of pages back I speculated our tv contract would fall dramatically sans UT and OU. An expert on CBS sports estimated it would fall to as low as $9m per team, slightly more than the current AAC payout per team.

There are no teams available to the Big 12 that would come anywhere close to covering that drop in tv revenue. I see no financial reason to try to continue the Big 12.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
It might have been talked about before, but I haven't seen any mention of the penalties OU and Texas must pay if they leave. If the conference remains intact up to a certain # of schools, don't they have to pay close to $80M apiece in fines?
Yeah its 76 million per if they bail this year. However they would probably have to pay a lump sum less than that. and split 8 ways would be nothing compared to our loss in TV revenue from losing them.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah its 76 million per if they bail this year. However they would probably have to pay a lump sum less than that. and split 8 ways would be nothing compared to our loss in TV revenue from losing them.
Hahaha, caught me too fast. I saw it was being discussed at the top of the page. Thanks for the info!

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
It might have been talked about before, but I haven't seen any mention of the penalties OU and Texas must pay if they leave. If the conference remains intact up to a certain # of schools, don't they have to pay close to $80M apiece in fines?
That figure doesn't include OU & UT's rights thru 2025, which the Big 12 would still own, correct?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I agree. Never said it would take a year. It's going to take a few weeks to a few months to get the invite and timing set up. You can be a decent partner in the meantime and allow other schools that you are still in a conference with and have been for 16 years to explore alternate options. You'll decline the option to stay, but again, it doesn't hurt you to let them explore. If nothing else, it's good to have backup options if for some reason that B1G or PAC invite doesn't come (I think it will, but who really knows?)
I also wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a schoolyard basketball pick, with the SEC adding more soon after BIG, PAC, and ACC do their thing. Then maybe rinse and repeat on the others to match up. Interesting time we're in for sure.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
That figure doesn't include OU & UT's rights thru 2025, which the Big 12 would still own, correct?

Has there been anything posted that states by contract that the money OU and Texas owed would actually be paid to the other universities?
I haven't seen anything. I've just been operating under the assumption that the money would be distributed amongst the remaining members.

Where else would it go? I'm genuinely asking. I'm trying to piecemeal together the whole situation.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
I don't think you can cause a drop in membership and then claim it in your defense...

If the Big 12 still exists (which it won't) for the duration of the GOR, Texas and OU would have to pay up. That's why they want to see the rest of the members jump ship so that they're off the hook and can move on to the ass beating that they asked for.
ESPN would have a hard time defending itself in court with the B12. Here's another scenario circulating.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
https://twitter.com/drshrum/status/1419770922622349317?s=19

Dr. Shrum going hard at OU again today. In think it's strategic and we're working on something unexpected.
I hope that's the case. The way she worded it sounds like she's accusing ou of doing something illegal with the SEC, though i'm unsure there is any kind of 'tampering' type deal with conference members like there is with players in the NFL.

Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/drshrum/status/1419770922622349317?s=19

Dr. Shrum going hard at OU again today. In think it's strategic and we're working on something unexpected.
She should go after them. OU not only kept this secret from OSU and other Big12 members, but they kept it secret from key OU leadership.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
It's over, we might as well drop all sports.

ESPN is reporting that the plan is for a 32 team super conference that only plays each other. All other teams would drop down a level.
There are WAY too many fans of the teams from 33+ for that to be allowed to happen. The whole reason for the playoff is for the non P5 teams to have a shot. This would more than reverse all of that. People would revolt.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I hope that's the case. The way she worded it sounds like she's accusing ou of doing something illegal with the SEC, though i'm unsure there is any kind of 'tampering' type deal with conference members like there is with players in the NFL.
It's not about tampering, it's about a governmental agent (goon sports dept) doing secret business with no transparency. That agreement could be null and void.