Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I feel like we're parked on the tarmac away from the gate and no longer in taxi mode. Waiting for a good season to start and now waiting to hear where we end up, yet the pilot just keeps announcing "it shouldn't be too much longer".

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Something to think about.

Fox just got torpedoed. They just lost two massive components to their college football financial portfolio. I imagine they will be working the phones in damage control to limit the bleeding and fortify their place going forward. OSU as the most valuable (except Notre Dame) unattached school, will be a clear target for Fox to obtain either via the B10 or PAC12.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is CBS no longer in the picture now that SEC is with ESPN? I must say they put on quite a good production with their 2:30 games.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
https://twitter.com/drshrum/status/1419770922622349317?s=19

Dr. Shrum going hard at OU again today. In think it's strategic and we're working on something unexpected.
I like her enthusiasm and disregard for ou, but I wish she would've worded that differently if only because the best course of action for OSU right now is to do exactly what she said about ou. Secure a deal from another conference then announce we will not be renewing the GOR either.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Dr. Shrum going hard at OU again today. In think it's strategic and we're working on something unexpected.
I like her enthusiasm and disregard for ou, but I wish she would've worded that differently if only because the best course of action for OSU right now is to do exactly what she said about ou. Secure a deal from another conference then announce we will not be renewing the GOR either.
I think the nuance is twofold.
One, she’s emphasizing the commitment (or lack thereof) to the State, and two, the obligation to the conference to be transparent in your future wants/needs. With OU and UT opting out without warning, they have irreparably severely wounded or killed the financial viability of the conference thus banishing the other 8 members to whatever lifeboat they can find. I don’t see any reaction by OSU to those circumstances as equal, or even close to what OU did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
I feel like we're parked on the tarmac away from the gate and no longer in taxi mode. Waiting for a good season to start and now waiting to hear where we end up, yet the pilot just keeps announcing "it shouldn't be too much longer".
While a maintenance guy walks down the aisle with a roll of duct tape.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Or changing the gate on us. “We have been cleared for gate B-10, uhhh change that P-12, uhhh we should have it figured out here shortly ladies and gentlemen” :lol:

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
This is so sad I have to believe it's true.

Only benefit: UT and OU have to pay out the penalties to the Big..16. The big suck. Whatever you call this monstrosity. Last check the penalty is so big that it will take over a decade to break even from a TV contract perspective. I would enjoy that quite a bit.
I have seen maps or some similar variation of this map floating around. Not good if this is THE solution. Ask yourself what the appeal of a Memphis/San Diego state football game will be. There will be ZERO national implications to more than half the games.

Oct 29, 2016
US
When anyone starts evaluating which conference would target OSU, and which conference OSU would target, and which conference you as a fan would target, there are certain factors to consider, but more importantly there are certain factors that should not be dismissed or minimized. To wit:

1. Athletic fit - clearly we are an athletic fit for any conference. Most if not all of our sports would raise the overall level of competition in any conference. In fact, we are far and away the most desirable athletic department not already in the SEC, ACC, B10 or P12.

2. Financial fit - it is reported we are the most watched football program not in the SEC, ACC, B10 or PAC 12. My sense is we would certainly be an incremental “value add” to the ACC, B10 and PAC12, and probably even the SEC.

3. Academic fit - this is where it starts to get tougher. From bottom to top, the SEC doesn’t care, the ACC is a little more academically inclined but academics probably wouldn’t be a roadblock, the PAC12 will certainly consider academics but would likely accept a non-AAU member if the other criteria was strong enough, the B10’s AAU requirement may be a bridge too far, but I suppose that could change. Clearly this is more of an issue for the conferences seeking to expand than it is for the targets.

4. Geographical fit - I won’t insult anyone with a geography lesson, but from best to worst it’s SEC, B10, ACC the PAC12. At the end of the day, geography can be overcome, but it can have meaningful negative financial, game day performance and recruiting impacts.

5. Cultural fit - I don’t think this gets enough attention or consideration. In these days, we as a country are divided by “culture” more than any point in our recent past. From an athletic standpoint, this was never more evident than in 2020. The B12 and SEC played as close to a regular season as logistics would allow. The ACC tried, but was mostly confined to a conference only approach. The B10 bowed to supposed medical academics and let unsubstantiated health concerns almost tank their season. The PAC12 was run mostly by west coast politics and turned into a complete disaster. Further, the PAC12s distaste for religiously affiliated schools only reinforces cultural differences. Sometimes cultures that espouse inclusivity aren’t really inclusive of cultures that aren’t them. I personally see culture as the de facto tie-breaker. Why go to a different culture unless it’s you’re only viable option.

Where are people getting their viewership statistics from?

2020 was an anomaly, so I'll use 2019 statistics.

There are two reasons OSU averaged 1.8 million televisions in 2019: OU and Texas. Oh, and the Texas A&M game, which had 4.8 million televisions.

For Big 12 play, when you take away Texas and OU, OSU averages 848k televisions for the 8 other games. That puts OSU in 5th place, behind OU, Texas, Baylor, and West Virginia.

848k is more than 300,000 less televisions than the last place team in the PAC12. That's not an insignificant number. The average in the PAC12 is 1.5 million televisions, much more than 848k.

http://sportstreatise.com/2020/03/big-12-realignment-realities/

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
A few random thoughts.

On a super conference.
64 teams make much more sense than 32. Four 16 team divisions (east, west, south, Midwest). OSU would be in.

On making ou and ut pay.
Obviously the best possible outcome is to both make them pay the penalties AND end up in a P4 conference. However, if we get an offer we take it, even if it means not making them pay, even if it means we have to pay. Long term health is what's important.

Best destination.
Wherever we end up, I think it's important to keep at least one conference opponent in Texas for recruiting purposes. Whether that's tech and the PAC 16 or TCU and the ACC (no Baylor please). I think BIG is the dream but it's just that, a dream, and could even hurt if we lose Texas recruiting (see Nebraska).

Both PAC and acc open up new recruiting grounds in CA and FL respectively which would be great if we can keep Texas recruiting as well.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
When anyone starts evaluating which conference would target OSU, and which conference OSU would target, and which conference you as a fan would target, there are certain factors to consider, but more importantly there are certain factors that should not be dismissed or minimized. To wit:

1. Athletic fit - clearly we are an athletic fit for any conference. Most if not all of our sports would raise the overall level of competition in any conference. In fact, we are far and away the most desirable athletic department not already in the SEC, ACC, B10 or P12.

2. Financial fit - it is reported we are the most watched football program not in the SEC, ACC, B10 or PAC 12. My sense is we would certainly be an incremental “value add” to the ACC, B10 and PAC12, and probably even the SEC.

3. Academic fit - this is where it starts to get tougher. From bottom to top, the SEC doesn’t care, the ACC is a little more academically inclined but academics probably wouldn’t be a roadblock, the PAC12 will certainly consider academics but would likely accept a non-AAU member if the other criteria was strong enough, the B10’s AAU requirement may be a bridge too far, but I suppose that could change. Clearly this is more of an issue for the conferences seeking to expand than it is for the targets.

4. Geographical fit - I won’t insult anyone with a geography lesson, but from best to worst it’s SEC, B10, ACC the PAC12. At the end of the day, geography can be overcome, but it can have meaningful negative financial, game day performance and recruiting impacts.

5. Cultural fit - I don’t think this gets enough attention or consideration. In these days, we as a country are divided by “culture” more than any point in our recent past. From an athletic standpoint, this was never more evident than in 2020. The B12 and SEC played as close to a regular season as logistics would allow. The ACC tried, but was mostly confined to a conference only approach. The B10 bowed to supposed medical academics and let unsubstantiated health concerns almost tank their season. The PAC12 was run mostly by west coast politics and turned into a complete disaster. Further, the PAC12s distaste for religiously affiliated schools only reinforces cultural differences. Sometimes cultures that espouse inclusivity aren’t really inclusive of cultures that aren’t them. I personally see culture as the de facto tie-breaker. Why go to a different culture unless it’s you’re only viable option.

There are two reasons OSU averaged 1.8 million televisions in 2019: OU and Texas. Oh, and the Texas A&M game, which had 4.8 million televisions.

For Big 12 play, when you take away Texas and OU, OSU averages 848k televisions for the 8 other games. That puts OSU in 5th place, behind OU, Texas, Baylor, and West Virginia.

848k is more than 300,000 less televisions than the last place team in the PAC12. That's not an insignificant number. The average in the PAC12 is 1.5 million televisions, much more than 848k.

From 2020 (when viewership was more defined because in-person was limited) which more relevant than 2019 which is more relevant than 2018, which is more relevant than…..

School, Avg. Viewers per Game, Avg. Viewers per game minus games vs. Oklahoma and Texas, Bowl Game
Oklahoma State 2,113,000 1,553,857 3,200,000
Iowa State 1,617,500 1,210,000 6,680,000
West Virginia 1,420,571 1,234,857 3,740,000
Kansas State 1,309,875 1,181,286 N/A
Texas Tech 1,229,429 981,000 N/A
TCU 1,241,875 835,286 N/A
Baylor 873,750 720,000 N/A
Kansas 532,500 569,833 N/A

Oct 30, 2007

I haven't seen the game by game numbers, but my guess is that our 2019 viewership statistics would look very different if you excluded the 2 games we had on ESPN+. This was the first year we had games on their streaming service, and only 4 Big 12 teams participated. So it isn't really fair to compare the viewership statistics from this year head to head.

Oct 29, 2016
US
When potential suitors look at OSU viewership numbers, they will exclude OU and Texas. OSU cannot even muster 900k televisions. That is AAC viewership numbers. Who from the AAC will PAC12 invite? Not one. Certainly, we have a strong football program. But that's not what matters here. It's all about $$$. And viewership is where the money is.

There's a reason OSU leadership isn't saying "Everything is fine! We're gonna be a-okay!"

They're basically saying "we're screwed." They know it. I know it. And I can't stand it. I love OSU. Right now, OSU is in a very bad spot. And it's only going to get worse from here.

The PAC 12 already said they're not interested in expanding. That could change, but they're saying "we don't want anybody from the Big 12." The Big 12 is trash without OU and Texas. I'm not saying OSU is trash.. I'm saying we are in deep trouble. Very deep trouble. And OSU's leadership has only said everything that backs up what I'm saying.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
When potential suitors look at OSU viewership numbers, they will exclude OU and Texas. OSU cannot even muster 900k televisions. That is AAC viewership numbers. Who from the AAC will PAC12 invite? Not one. Certainly, we have a strong football program. But that's not what matters here. It's all about $$$. And viewership is where the money is.

There's a reason OSU leadership isn't saying "Everything is fine! We're gonna be a-okay!"

They're basically saying "we're screwed." They know it. I know it. And I can't stand it. I love OSU. Right now, OSU is in a very bad spot. And it's only going to get worse from here.

The PAC 12 already said they're not interested in expanding. That could change, but they're saying "we don't want anybody from the Big 12." The Big 12 is trash without OU and Texas. I'm not saying OSU is trash.. I'm saying we are in deep trouble. Very deep trouble. And OSU's leadership has only said everything that backs up what I'm saying.
I, unfortunately, agree with this

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009

I absolutely love her and how she’s approached this. Hargis wouldn’t have been as vocal or public. She’s been awesome.

Also - highly suggest everyone email Dr Shrum and Mr Weiberg. Nothing wrong with voicing support for the school we love so much and the position those two are in. I know they read them.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
Why haven’t we made a move?

It better be because no one wants us and not because we are waiting. An 80 million dollar penalty (that we would likely not have to pay anyway) would pay for itself in 3 years with the revenue discrepancies. This is the biggest decision in the history of the university. Let’s go

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

Try again, here is the 2020 numbers

1627396315267.png

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

It better be because no one wants us and not because we are waiting. An 80 million dollar penalty (that we would likely not have to pay anyway) would pay for itself in 3 years with the revenue discrepancies. This is the biggest decision in the history of the university. Let’s go
Just because it has not been broadcast publicly does not mean moves are not being made.

Don’t rush the monkey and you will get a better show.
RIP Boone and thank you for everything you have done.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

It took OU and Texas over 6 months to line up their deal and that was with not having to worry about reporters lurking around trying to get scoops. This is not going to be resolved soon. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and realize that more that likely we will come out of this good with a new power conference home. If not then I would bet we did all we could and maybe the future will lead us to one of those spots.