Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 19, 2006
Show of hands.

Who believes any combination of B12 and AAC has a chance to be competitive (both on the field and in living rooms) and thus a chance to ultimately survive conference supremacy wars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on how the new playoff scheme works. If every conference is limited to a max of two (champ and an at-large) then I could see it working. If the rails come off and the ACC, SEC and Big 10 essentially take over the playoff system, then it doesn't really matter where we end up.

Aug 16, 2012
As a staunch traditionalist I've been struggling with this whole realignment narrative but am starting to come around. Frankly, I'm tired of getting our butts kicked by OU 9 out of every 10 years and not super excited about watching another string of KU, K-State, T-Tech, TCU games each season. Maybe it is time to shake things up.

And seeing OU and Texas getting beat up in the SEC every year will be somewhat enjoyable as well.
Yeah, but because they are OU and the SEC, they will always be ranked higher and always have the leg up on everyone else when it comes time to fill places in the playoff bracket. This just increased the pool of teams from the SEC who will dominate the rankings despite losses, even if it is amongst themselves. All about the eyeball test and not the record, remember.

Oct 30, 2007
Show of hands.

Who believes any combination of B12 and AAC has a chance to be competitive (both on the field and in living rooms) and thus a chance to ultimately survive conference supremacy wars?
The only way I could see it working is if OSU suddenly elevated their program to a national championship level the way Clemson did under Dabo Swinney. I don't see that happening though, unless Coach Gundy retires and we were able to hire a young future HOF coach to replace him.

IMO, the Big 12 is dead in the water after OU & Texas leave, because TV networks won't pay power conference money to a league without any football bluebloods. Schools like Baylor & TCU may push to keep the conference together and expand, but I don't see it happening.

My biggest question at this point is if we end up with four 16 team super conferences, or if the SEC and/or the B1G start cherry picking the entire country to set up mega conferences. We could see a scenario where there are only 1 or 2 power conferences, and everyone else gets left out. The next few years could end up being pretty wild.

I have no idea what this is supposed to manipulate. What's the conspiracy here?
Pumping up programs would increase interest from other conferences and accelerate the pace of the B12 dissolving without penalty to uo/Texas. Allows ou/Texas to begin SEC play earlier (on ESPN) and ESPN to cancel LHN.

ESPN is the ultimate puppeteer in this. Note how ESPN took over CBS’s rights to SEC 2:30 games after CBS declined pro-rata payouts after adding aTm and Mizzou:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/sec-negotiating-paved-texas-oklahoma

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Pumping up programs would increase interest from other conferences and accelerate the pace of the B12 dissolving without penalty to uo/Texas. Allows ou/Texas to begin SEC play earlier (on ESPN) and ESPN to cancel LHN.

ESPN is the ultimate puppeteer in this. Note how ESPN took over CBS’s rights to SEC 2:30 games after CBS declined pro-rata payouts after adding aTm and Mizzou:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/sec-negotiating-paved-texas-oklahoma
The mouse has become too big.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Depends on how the new playoff scheme works. If every conference is limited to a max of two (champ and an at-large) then I could see it working. If the rails come off and the ACC, SEC and Big 10 essentially take over the playoff system, then it doesn't really matter where we end up.
The sec, especially now, will never agree to a 12 team playoff that limits them to just 2 teams.

Aug 19, 2006
Yeah, but because they are OU and the SEC, they will always be ranked higher and always have the leg up on everyone else when it comes time to fill places in the playoff bracket. This just increased the pool of teams from the SEC who will dominate the rankings despite losses, even if it is amongst themselves. All about the eyeball test and not the record, remember.
Yeah, but I'm not sure Sooner fans will enjoy losing 4-5 games a season, even if it is to some combination of Bama, LSU, Fla, GA, Auburn, etc. OSU fans don't enjoy 8-4, 7-5 seasons very much. Sooners are used to a floor of 10-2. Not sure that's realistic in the SEC.

If I'm a UT fan, I'm not very excited about this at all. They haven't even been competitive in the Big 12 since they fired Mac Brown. Do they think Vince Young is walking back through that door and suddenly lifting the program back up to it's glory days against SEC-caliber competition??? Seems like they're more likely to slug it out with Auburn, Tennessee and Kentucky for a spot in the middle of the pack.

So remind me again what all that extra revenue coming in will actually accomplish???

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Yeah, but I'm not sure Sooner fans will enjoy losing 4-5 games a season, even if it is to some combination of Bama, LSU, Fla, GA, Auburn, etc. OSU fans don't enjoy 8-4, 7-5 seasons very much. Sooners are used to a floor of 10-2. Not sure that's realistic in the SEC.

If I'm a UT fan, I'm not very excited about this at all. They haven't even been competitive in the Big 12 since they fired Mac Brown. Do they think Vince Young is walking back through that door and suddenly lifting the program back up to it's glory days against SEC-caliber competition??? Seems like they're more likely to slug it out with Auburn, Tennessee and Kentucky for a spot in the middle of the pack.

So remind me again what all that extra revenue coming in will actually accomplish???
Extra money for basketball, baseball and the like...

Nov 8, 2013
We are more likely to get a SEC invite tomorrow than see this happen. But I like the way you are thinking.

Basically have to get the Pac 12 and B1G to realize that they will always be second/third/fourth fiddle to the SEC unless they do something dramatic and game-changing. That is the motivation for this model. I think the variety is huge for this model. Matchups across the country that are usually never seen except in a "meaningless" bowl unless they're lucky enough to happen in a CFP game.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
The sec, especially now, will never agree to a 12 team playoff that limits them to just 2 teams.
Correct. The combination of the SEC grabbing OU/UT and a new 12-team playoff system is a signal that the playoff (which means $$$$$) will become more exclusive than inclusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2013
According to "insiders" at burntorangenation Texas has the 80 million exit fee and will use it to be in the SEC for the 2022 season.

That would leave the big 12 with 9 teams for 2022. if no team is added, the big 12 revenue for 2022 will be cut bc we wont be able to produce the required content with 9 teams. If OU somehow comes up with 80 million, then the new big 12 will be here sooner rather than later.

We'd be facing a 2022 season whiteout Texas or OU, and we'd only have 8 teams to produce content. If no big 12 team has a landing in pac or acc by 2022, we would either have to add teams(BYU, UCF, CINN, Memphis or houston), and take a payout, or sit tight with 8 and take an even bigger pay cut.

From a purely football perspective, a big 12 with BYU, UCF, CINN and memphis would be salty. I mean i dont think oklahoma state or anyone else runs that gauntlet undefeated. While BYU, UCF, cinn are lower level teams, they all have teams that would give texas trouble. in fact BYU crushed texas in their fairly recent series. Hell, the Terps beat Texas 2-0 in their very recent series.

OU is of course the best football team the big 12 is losing, but a big 12 remnant conference would be competitive and fun to watch.

Obviously im hoping WVU to ACC, but ive made my peace with just being in a completive football conference with a hefty pay cut.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
According to "insiders" at burntorangenation Texas has the 80 million exit fee and will use it to be in the SEC for the 2022 season.

That would leave the big 12 with 9 teams for 2022. if no team is added, the big 12 revenue for 2022 will be cut bc we wont be able to produce the required content with 9 teams. If OU somehow comes up with 80 million, then the new big 12 will be here sooner rather than later.

We'd be facing a 2022 season whiteout Texas or OU, and we'd only have 8 teams to produce content. If no big 12 team has a landing in pac or acc by 2022, we would either have to add teams(BYU, UCF, CINN, Memphis or houston), and take a payout, or sit tight with 8 and take an even bigger pay cut.

From a purely football perspective, a big 12 with BYU, UCF, CINN and memphis would be salty. I mean i dont think oklahoma state or anyone else runs that gauntlet undefeated. While BYU, UCF, cinn are lower level teams, they all have teams that would give texas trouble. in fact BYU crushed texas in their fairly recent series. Hell, the Terps beat Texas 2-0 in their very recent series.

OU is of course the best football team the big 12 is losing, but a big 12 remnant conference would be competitive and fun to watch.

Obviously im hoping WVU to ACC, but ive made my peace with just being in a completive football conference with a hefty pay cut.
I really do not think the B12 will hold together. If OU/TX break from the b12 after this season, which I feel is likely, other teams will leave as well. Your just not going to get the revenue to compete. Most programs are treading water financially as it is. Especially after the covid season of 20

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
I really do not think the B12 will hold together. If OU/TX break from the b12 after this season, which I feel is likely, other teams will leave as well. Your just not going to get the revenue to compete. Most programs are treading water financially as it is.
It 100% won't. It's going to be tough seeing the rest of us maneuvering to backstab each other. We better be the one holding the knife... Just feel bad for a fanbase like Kansas State, but we can't let that be us

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
If we end up in a 16 team B1G or PAC, I hope they use a pod system and not two 8 team divisions.

With a division system and 9 conference games it will take 8 years to complete a home and home series with teams in the other division.

With the pod system and 9 conference games you would complete a home and home with every team within 4 seasons.

The pod system would result in the PAC's existing members having a game every year in Oklahoma (3 hours from DFW) or Texas if they add OSU and 3 Texas schools.

Determining the Championship game would be more difficult.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

OU and Texas will most likely be in the SEC for the 2022 season. TV revenue would reportedly go from $37MM to $9MM per team for the remaining 8 members. There is no way the conference stays together after OU and UT bail.

Dec 9, 2013
The more I’ve had to think on this the quicker I hope we move on to whatever the SEC/Big endgame becomes. It simply will not be sustainable. The NFL/NBA/MLB have 32ish teams w drafts, salary caps, salary slots for draft positions, roster limits, trade/free agency rules for a reason. Owners and players work hard to try to make the most money for everyone and sustain a business w really no competitors. The SEC will have competition wether that be another super conf or the NFL.

There is absolutely no way Ohio St/Michigan/Penn St or Clemson/FSU or Oregon/USC or ND sit back and let this happen unchecked. Adding OkSt or BYU or any combination of anyone else solves that problem. Doesn’t mean we won’t land somewhere short term or I hope we throw in the towel and join the AAC.

How long until a conf initiates true pay for play or SEC players unionize/organize and demand $/healthcare/retirement (not everyone goes to nfl)? We are going to see game stoppages (aka strikes). Too much money involved w too little benefit to all the players. They know they have leverage and the courts have been trending their way. Lawyers/Agents smell this.

How long do the Miss St’s or Oregon St’s or NC St’s or Kentucky’s of the world get to keep their seats?

College football even for the SEC is dead. At this point what happens if an SEC Univ openly pays recruits or players? The NCAA will have no say. But at some point I think we have to get to a small super conf and the rest will reorganize into Something that is more sustainable. For our sake and the sake of the Univ as a whole I hope that’s 5 years and not 15.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
The $9M number that keeps getting thrown around was a comment from one person who works for the side paying money out. Obviously it would be considerably less than $37M, but $9M is a dream contract for FOX/ESPN/CBS when considering the draw that some of the remaining teams pull in plus additional OOC games that would include additional P4 games.

Oklahoma State playing the remaining Big12 and then having 3 OOC games against P4 schools that break up the mundane conference games other teams will be playing. Dream schedule for the FOX/ESPN/CBS's of the world. $37M no, but not $9M either.

It really doesn't matter, since there will be no BIG12 after this year. Or at least I hope there is no BIG12 next year.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
The more I’ve had to think on this the quicker I hope we move on to whatever the SEC/Big endgame becomes. It simply will not be sustainable. The NFL/NBA/MLB have 32ish teams w drafts, salary caps, salary slots for draft positions, roster limits, trade/free agency rules for a reason. Owners and players work hard to try to make the most money for everyone and sustain a business w really no competitors. The SEC will have competition wether that be another super conf or the NFL.

There is absolutely no way Ohio St/Michigan/Penn St or Clemson/FSU or Oregon/USC or ND sit back and let this happen unchecked. Adding OkSt or BYU or any combination of anyone else solves that problem. Doesn’t mean we won’t land somewhere short term or I hope we throw in the towel and join the AAC.

How long until a conf initiates true pay for play or SEC players unionize/organize and demand $/healthcare/retirement (not everyone goes to nfl)? We are going to see game stoppages (aka strikes). Too much money involved w too little benefit to all the players. They know they have leverage and the courts have been trending their way. Lawyers/Agents smell this.

How long do the Miss St’s or Oregon St’s or NC St’s or Kentucky’s of the world get to keep their seats?

College football even for the SEC is dead. At this point what happens if an SEC Univ openly pays recruits or players? The NCAA will have no say. But at some point I think we have to get to a small super conf and the rest will reorganize into Something that is more sustainable. For our sake and the sake of the Univ as a whole I hope that’s 5 years and not 15.
I’m afraid there is a lot of truth in this....

I’m thinking along the same lines. The supreme court case of kids getting NIL money drove the stake in college footballs heart...heaven only knows what kind of zombie rises from the grave