Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 14, 2006
How would we do in the SEC?
Probably pretty well. Our staff has shown that they evaluate and develop talent better than anyone in the country.

The boost in recruiting and income just from being in the SEC, coupled with our talent development and we would be an above average SEC team.

While it's true the competition would be better, I think our win/loss would remain pretty close to what it is now.

Would we still be a step behind Bama and OU? Probably. But I know our athletic department and university could do amazing things with all of the added income.

If we get relegated to the AAC, say goodbye to even sniffing championships in any sports, let alone football or basketball.

Mar 11, 2006
Why would any B12 team consider that, let alone 3-5? Unless they have definitely been told No by all other power 5s AND they know there are enough schools that DID find a power 5 to land at. (i.e. they are the leftovers).

Makes no financial sense that the AAC would be even close to a threat to poach schools.
It is all about ownership rights. The Big10 and the Pac-12 own their own channel. ESPN controls ACC, SEC, and has AAC rights for the next 12 years.

No doubt ESPN wants AAC to poach Big12 teams. They can sweeten the pot for AAC schools. The revenue for Big12 schools will drop, however, for some it is better than near nothing.

ESPN does not want Big12 schools to go PAC-12 or Big10. It is a major win for them to get them to go to AAC.

Be mad a Mickey Mouse because he is pulling the Pinocchio strings.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
OU and Texas will most likely be in the SEC for the 2022 season. TV revenue would reportedly go from $37MM to $9MM per team for the remaining 8 members. There is no way the conference stays together after OU and UT bail.
Do you have a link to this information? It's hard for me to imagine that the Big 12 would agree to a contract that would allow revenue to drop by 76% after the departure of 2 teams.
See this is what's got me confused. Contractor renewal isn't until 2025. So why is everybody acting like all of a sudden there's an immediate change in the amount will be getting next year? In 2022 we would have two less teams so it'd be only two less teams worth of money. Yes teams get money for playoffs and bowls and extras but a lot of those borrow at least would still be occurring I would assume.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
The more I hear about ESPN, the more it makes my blood boil. A TV network shouldn't be picking winners and losers by orchestrating conference realignment. I hope they get destroyed in court.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
mannnn this is getting good. I wonder what kind of lawsuit big 12 has on there hands. Any legal buffs here?

I officially cancelled my espn+ subscription. Used it primarily for UFC fights. will have to resort to piracy I suppose

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
The more I hear about ESPN, the more it makes my blood boil. A TV network shouldn't be picking winners and losers by orchestrating conference realignment. I hope they get destroyed in court.

ESPN is working behind the scenes to consolidate its interests like a mob boss. They'll probably start pumping out anti-PAC and B1G propaganda related to their expansions since FOX has interests in those two conferences