Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I have not yet decided if that would allow me to remove my curse I put on UT at the creation of the LHN.

Scoff it you want, but how successful has UT been in the biggest revenue sports since I instilled my curse?

View attachment 96784

=
View attachment 96785
It is quite difficult to remove a dead man’s spell.- Dr. Strange

so do it now.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I just don't understand why these types of alliances are done through athletic conferences. Why don't schools build an "academic conference" that is separate from athletics. Makes no sense... However, I do see the value of association as academic prestige mostly comes from perception and research dollars (which many times comes at the expense of actual education in the classroom).
They often do form academic partnerships like AAU, but the upper admins of those universities are interacting a ton with their counterparts in their athletic conferences as it is. So, especially given that until recently athletic conferences were always with their closest major universities, they just made it more efficient as a combined athletic and academic association. OSU should have an academic partnership with KU and K-State, as well as most of the neighbor state schools that were previously in the Big 12, but its dissolution basically means that upper admins of those schools will interact less.

I'll save my soapbox for prestige and research dollars for another day.

Jan 1, 2022
Moore
Oregon, Washington and Utah are no brainers to me. If football is the only thing that matters (it is), I still think Boise State would be a better add as a 4th team than any of the remaining PAC teams, it's on par television viewers wise with Arizona State and Stanford and gets more viewers than Arizona, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State and is a better known and more respected football brand than any of those schools
Plus getting Boise just cuts off one more branch for a sinking Pac to grab. I'd take Utah, ASU,AU and then Boise. Oregon and wash will be Big10 eventually, and I say screw CU, you wanted to leave so don't let the door hit ya. Stanford would be good but due to academics they won't consider the Big12, but they'll be Big10 also. Cal,WSU,and Org St, sorry.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Plus getting Boise just cuts off one more branch for a sinking Pac to grab. I'd take Utah, ASU,AU and then Boise. Oregon and wash will be Big10 eventually, and I say screw CU, you wanted to leave so don't let the door hit ya. Stanford would be good but due to academics they won't consider the Big12, but they'll be Big10 also. Cal,WSU,and Org St, sorry.
What kind of viewership does Boise have compared to the rest of the PAC?

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Please explain Rutgers and Maryland’s acceptance in the Big10 in 2014.
Sorry - just now saw this and happy to explain.

Rutgers is in the NYC market. The NYC tv market is the largest tv market in the US by quite a big margin with about 8 million households. If you count homes with multiple tv sets/viewers it goes to 10 million or more viewers. No other market compares. LA is within shouting distance but not really close. The other characteristic of the NYC market is they tend watch a lot of televised sports,. Maybe because of the history of betting on games, maybe because of less other attractions and worse weather outdoors, maybe it's social/economic - for whatever reason they do. For comparison, LA specifically and California in general have a history of only watching "winners" and big games; playoffs, superbowls, etc. Bottom line, NYC is THE market for televised sports. It is probably the one market that would justify adding a mediocre to bad team to a conference in order to get more of your conference games and exposure in that tv market. A relatively small piece of the NYC market generates more viewers than most other tv markets in total. Adding Rutgers was about getting a foot in the door for more BIG conference games in the NYC market, and much less about the loyal Rutgers viewers.

Tucson and Phoenix combined are about 1.5 million households. If they have a history of not watching a team in big numbers, which is the case for Arizona, they are not large enough to add a fraction of the casual college football game viewers that are available in NYC. I don't know for sure, but I bet the tv viewing democraphics of Phoenix/Tucson are also much more like LA than they are NYC. The upside potential of Phoenix/Tucson is not comparable to NYC.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Sorry - just now saw this and happy to explain.

Rutgers is in the NYC market. The NYC tv market is the largest tv market in the US by quite a big margin with about 8 million households. If you count homes with multiple tv sets/viewers it goes to 10 million or more viewers. No other market compares. LA is within shouting distance but not really close. The other characteristic of the NYC market is they tend watch a lot of televised sports,. Maybe because of the history of betting on games, maybe because of less other attractions and worse weather outdoors, maybe it's social/economic - for whatever reason they do. For comparison, LA specifically and California in general have a history of only watching "winners" and big games; playoffs, superbowls, etc. Bottom line, NYC is THE market for televised sports. It is probably the one market that would justify adding a mediocre to bad team to a conference in order to get more of your conference games and exposure in that tv market. A relatively small piece of the NYC market generates more viewers than most other tv markets in total. Adding Rutgers was about getting a foot in the door for more BIG conference games in the NYC market, and much less about the loyal Rutgers viewers.

Tucson and Phoenix combined are about 1.5 million households. If they have a history of not watching a team in big numbers, which is the case for Arizona, they are not large enough to add a fraction of the casual college football game viewers that are available in NYC. I don't know for sure, but I bet the tv viewing democraphics of Phoenix/Tucson are also much more like LA than they are NYC. The upside potential of Phoenix/Tucson is not comparable to NYC.
;)

In other words, the market a team plays in is a major factor for conferences when it comes to realignment.

Sep 6, 2014
The other characteristic of the NYC market is they tend watch a lot of televised sports,. Maybe because of the history of betting on games, maybe because of less other attractions
Less other attractions? LOL what?!?!? New York has more attractions/things to do than just about any other place in the world. I'm from NY, literally NO ONE cares about college sports here, it's not popular at all and not a thing people get together to do because there are multiple professional teams in every sports league to follow

Jan 14, 2006
;)

In other words, the market a team plays in is a major factor for conferences when it comes to realignment.
Was. Last time there was realignment.

It proved to be useless as having Rutgers in the Big 10 didn't increase viewership once people went away from cable. It is not a factor now.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Was. Last time there was realignment.

It proved to be useless as having Rutgers in the Big 10 didn't increase viewership once people went away from cable. It is not a factor now.
Correct, but it allowed Fox to go from charging the 8-10 million subscribers an extra $0.10 a month to like a $1.00 (or whatever the true amount is) a month for the B1G Network. Theoretically that's an extra $9 million a month more or $108 million more a year.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
With BIG contract final (and w/o ORE & Wash) seems like the writings on the wall for them- join the Big12 or get even farther behind by sticking in PAC (whose media deal will be worse than Big12j

Dec 9, 2013
With BIG contract final (and w/o ORE & Wash) seems like the writings on the wall for them- join the Big12 or get even farther behind by sticking in PAC (whose media deal will be worse than Big12j
Go to a 24 team conf by adding 6 from PAC (O/WU/AZ/AZST/Stanford/UT) add 6 from ACC (Louisville/Duke/VT/Pitt/VA/NCSt). Go to 4 quads and sell a 4 or 8 team conf playoff (depends on expanded CFP auto bid) along w best basketball conf hands down.