Big 12 wrestling tournament starts tomorrow

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Can someone explain the Wittlake ending to me? I thought for sure he had the takedown and then next thing I know he’s lost. What happened?

Oct 30, 2007
Fix is it. We might finish 4th in big12. That is beyond stupid horrible and is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

At OSU it is national champion or the team SUCKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Fix is it. We might finish 4th in big12. That is beyond stupid horrible and is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

At OSU it is national champion or the team SUCKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So is it recruiting or coaching or both?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yes...my opinion is that we have been mediocre for nearly a decade in terms of osu wresting...I’ve been thinking it’s time for something new (coaching) for a while now. Don’t even follow anymore because we never live up to the hype. We could still win the tournament but having only three in a big 12 final is embarrassing.

Aug 19, 2006
It’s not just OSU. Iowa and Iowa State dropped off as well with the rise of new powerhouse programs like Ohio State and Penn State. That doesn’t explain why we’re getting smoked in the Big 12 tournament this year.

Ultimately it’s a coaching issue. Hate to say that because I’m a huge fan of John. But it seems like the sport has passed him by somehow. For whatever reason, we always seem to peak mid-season, not wrestling our best going into the tournament. t’s not like we’ve just had a few down years. That you could attribute to recruiting. It’s been a decade now since we’ve really been competitive for a national title.

Next year is going to be John’s chance to prove he can turn this around. Back to back top recruiting classes so the talent should be there to work with. if we see this kind of drop-off at tournament time then there’s nowhere else to point the finger.

Last edited:

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't know, but clearly we are in the worst era of OSU wrestling. The power has shifted to the Big 10, so some of this is just geography. When discussion starts of the Mount Rushmore of OSU coaches, all sports, all time, Smith's name always gets brought up. Which baffles me. This is for 3 reasons, he was one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, he's one of our own, and a lot of people don't pay much attention to wrestling.

Holder did a great job, but the wrestling facilities upgrade was his greatest unfinished task. I like Smith, and respect that he has done much for OSU as a 2 time Olympic gold medalist, and 2 time NCAA national champ, but this is not what we expect in OSU wrestling.

Last edited:

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Mastro totally dominated by a lower ranked wrestler. Our Big 12 Title streak is over and we’ll be very fortunate to even sniff a Top 10 finish at Nationals. Probably will finish between 15-20 which is a low point in OSU wrestling history.....Wyoming will likely be Big 12 Champs based on what’s left in the finals and wrestlebacks. The fact that OU was in 1st place after Day One makes me want to puke. A team we dominated in duals outperforms us when it counts.