Big XII Media Days

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
Booo!! A "nothing burger yak-fest" has been our best decade and a half of football in our over 100 year history...thank you very much!!!
Won't argue the improved record since it's right there on the books. I would challenge you to name a truly headline-worthy announcement or event during OSU's/Gundy's time on the podium at media days. And commentary on "the mullet" by the media does not count...

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Won't argue the improved record since it's right there on the books. I would challenge you to name a truly headline-worthy announcement or event during OSU's/Gundy's time on the podium at media days. And commentary on "the mullet" by the media does not count...
Media Days, in every conference, are about not making "headline-worthy announcement(s)."

Not trying to be a jerk, but it's pretty rare when anything noteworthy comes out of media days.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2012
This QB news or lack there of kind of bums me out. I need to downgrade my expectations and then be pleasantly surprised when improved performance happens.
With the transfer portal, I think we will see coaches keep their depth chart very close to the chest unless the transfer rules change. I don't blame them either... However, I do blame the reporters for not asking more interesting questions, even if the coaches will likely duck them. At least ask. To me, that is a reporter's job. For example, Lil'Jordan Humphrey went pro and left a big void at receiver. Texas has an army of receivers that might play in his spot. Not a single reporter asked Herman about replacing Humphrey. Instead, we got Hoover's 10th "culture vs win now" question that was essentially answered the same way 10 times.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The way you worded your post I thought you were disparaging Gundys tenure as head coach and not media days. If you re read it you might see how that could happen. I agree that media days is a “yakfest.”

Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
The way you worded your post I thought you were disparaging Gundys tenure as head coach and not media days. If you re read it you might see how that could happen. I agree that media days is a “yakfest.”
Sorry that my wording was not clear - you get my point exactly as intended with this post. The results of Gundy's tenure have been beneficial in the broad sense. All of us have certain specific things where we find fault or are disappointed with missed opportunities across those years.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
He named the starting QB last season.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
With the transfer portal, I think we will see coaches keep their depth chart very close to the chest unless the transfer rules change. I don't blame them either... However, I do blame the reporters for not asking more interesting questions, even if the coaches will likely duck them. At least ask. To me, that is a reporter's job. For example, Lil'Jordan Humphrey went pro and left a big void at receiver. Texas has an army of receivers that might play in his spot. Not a single reporter asked Herman about replacing Humphrey. Instead, we got Hoover's 10th "culture vs win now" question that was essentially answered the same way 10 times.
so, you're suggesting that Brown is the projected starter? (since he can't transfer at this point, that would only leave Sanders for the sit for another year portal).

The transfer rules have not essentially changed, and the portal has little to do with a QB battle - the end result of "transfer" could be the same with or without the "portal".

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
so, you're suggesting that Brown is the projected starter? (since he can't transfer at this point, that would only leave Sanders for the sit for another year portal).

The transfer rules have not essentially changed, and the portal has little to do with a QB battle - the end result of "transfer" could be the same with or without the "portal".
You’d argue with a fence post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Are you kidding?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
No, not kidding, that is a fact. The changes are minimal.

The only real change is that Coaches (Schools) cannot restrict where kids may transfer too (but the CONFERENCE still can, I believe). That didn't happen very often anyway, except for certain players.

Other than that, the school lists the kids name on a message board (portal) for him, to see if he can get interest from another school, rather than making the kid market his own availability.

Isn't the portal right now littered with unclaimed kids?

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Did anyone watch Les Miles? He seemed very strange to me. He didn't answer some of the questions he was asked and looked like he was struggling to explain things? Is just me, or did he seem unusual?
Coming into the thread late. Jeff (Johnson) can also tell you (we played golf with him, had lunch, etc back in his second year in Stillwater as the HC)... he's extremely scatter brained. He doesn't operate like anyone I've been around. He lost his keys on the golf course, then later lost his wallet for lunch. He drove a Jeep Cherokee and it was completely trashed. I couldn't even get in the front seat.

All that said, I haven't been around a coach as sharp as him with the game. He can tell you what play to call when the defense as a NG at the B gap and secondary is in cover 2, all in over .05 seconds. It's insane how brilliant he is as a coach.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
No, not kidding, that is a fact. The changes are minimal.

The only real change is that Coaches (Schools) cannot restrict where kids may transfer too (but the CONFERENCE still can, I believe). That didn't happen very often anyway, except for certain players.

Other than that, the school lists the kids name on a message board (portal) for him, to see if he can get interest from another school, rather than making the kid market his own availability.

Isn't the portal right now littered with unclaimed kids?
Well the 4 game redshirt rule changed things as well since guys can get the year back after losing an extended battle. Look at guys like Kelly Bryant And Jalen Hurtts from last year.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Coming into the thread late. Jeff (Johnson) can also tell you (we played golf with him, had lunch, etc back in his second year in Stillwater as the HC)... he's extremely scatter brained. He doesn't operate like anyone I've been around. He lost his keys on the golf course, then later lost his wallet for lunch. He drove a Jeep Cherokee and it was completely trashed. I couldn't even get in the front seat.

All that said, I haven't been around a coach as sharp as him with the game. He can tell you what play to call when the defense as a NG at the B gap and secondary is in cover 2, all in over .05 seconds. It's insane how brilliant he is as a coach.
Spot on, in my brief experiences with him.

& you should have seen he & Kathy's provided cars when they turned them in.:ohmy:

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
I saw someone post a quote of Gundy regarding his son and playing QB for him... basically saying he will have no advantage despite the fact he's sleeping with his mom.

Anyone know if he said that? Source? (I hope it's true, lol)

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

That is really interesting, considering his offenses were generally terrible at LSU. Not disagreeing with you, just an observation.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa

Did that trick actually work?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That is really interesting, considering his offenses were generally terrible at LSU. Not disagreeing with you, just an observation.
Agreed.

I think the level of defensive talent he had at LSU really allowed him to revert back to his Schembechler roots from UM & play not to lose, offensively, & win games with defense & special teams.

Obviously, he didn't have those same advantages at OSU, nor will he have them at KU, so it's gonna be interesting to see what his offense looks like in Lawrence.