Boise state/Game a thread combined

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Do you get all of your links to stuff directly from the OSU website? Because they aren't using TuneIn this year apparently and are instead using the learfield app which is called Varsity Network. I've heard multiple complain that the TuneIn channel wasn't working for them. I wouldn't know because I'm too busy at the stadium to listen.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/BroncoSportsFB/status/1438647637566267399

Wonder what we'll come out wearing. Bronco helmets would fit nicely.
Yuck. That blue hurts my eyes. Add the field and that's gonna be horrible.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Ultimately we've seen you have no choice. We don't have the personnel to do 4 yards and a cloud of dust.
Thing is, we have never really had that since I've watched OSU except maybe when we had Tatum Bell and/or Vernand Morency, and even then we had dangerous WRs that ran excellent routes, and could stretch the field both directions. Plus we had TEs that could command attention between the hashes.

We had success running the ball with Holgorsen/Monken, because we could do KC Chiefs level field stretching using scheme to get playmakers the ball in space. Once the defense was spread out and dropping back, we could absolutely gash them on the ground.

We had a little success more recently due to NFL talent at RB (Chris Carson, Justice Hill, Chuba Hubbard) and WR (Washington, Blackmon, Wallace) who could out-athlete people a lot of times, but make no mistake - it wasn't due to scheme. Against equal or better competition, that approach had no chance of working, because we had no alternative strategies to employ.

If we can't out-athlete people, we lose. Simple as that. And that's garbage given how much our coaches make. That's middle school level coaching, not D1.
Tatum Bell and Vernand Morency are your examples of the only time we’ve been able to effectively run the ball or get 4 yards and a cloud of dust?

I guess Terry Miller, Ernest Anderson, Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, Gerald Hudson, Kendall Hunter, Joseph Randall and Justice Hill we’re all chumps that couldn’t get us 4 yards when we needed it.

Your constant Gundy hating and belittling of the team sure gets old. When the offense is one of the best in the country (which it has been for many years) then you claim Gundy gets no credit and it’s all Holgerson, Fedora, Monken, etc. when we’re prolific. Then when the offense struggles suddenly it’s because Gundy is micromanaging? Who do you think hired the guys that had all the success? The ultimate example is Mike Yurcich who when he was struggling early, according to you it was because Gundy was calling all the plays and then suddenly when his offense became prolific to the point he was hired by Ohio State it was because Gundy wasn’t calling all the plays and letting Yurcich coach. You can’t have it both ways.

Gundy and Dunn know what the issues are right now and they have said as much. So just sit back and enjoy the process while they correct it. That’s what I’m going to do rather than work myself into a frenzy bashing a coach that will one day have his own statue outside the stadium and can name the day that he wants to retire.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Tatum Bell and Vernand Morency are your examples of the only time we’ve been able to effectively run the ball or get 4 yards and a cloud of dust?

I guess Terry Miller, Ernest Anderson, Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, Gerald Hudson, Kendall Hunter, Joseph Randall and Justice Hill we’re all chumps that couldn’t get us 4 yards when we needed it.

Your constant Gundy hating and belittling of the team sure gets old. When the offense is one of the best in the country (which it has been for many years) then you claim Gundy gets no credit and it’s all Holgerson, Fedora, Monken, etc. when we’re prolific. Then when the offense struggles suddenly it’s because Gundy is micromanaging? Who do you think hired the guys that had all the success? The ultimate example is Mike Yurcich who when he was struggling early, according to you it was because Gundy was calling all the plays and then suddenly when his offense became prolific to the point he was hired by Ohio State it was because Gundy wasn’t calling all the plays and letting Yurcich coach. You can’t have it both ways.

Gundy and Dunn know what the issues are right now and they have said as much fun. So just sit back and enjoy the process while they correct it. That’s what I’m going to do rather than work myself into a frenzy bashing a coach that will one day have his own statue outside the stadium and can name the day that he wants to retire.
I didn't know OSU existed until 2002. I'm talking recent, relevant history, mostly when Gundy was coaching. The offense under Yurcich was garbage from a scheme perspective, and only worked because we had elite WRs on the outside that could win the jump balls that Rudolph and other QBs heaved up and hoped for the best.

And no, Gundy doesn't get credit for Holgorsen or Monken, because he was forced to make those changes. He's since gone away from that approach, and we've done almost nothing of relevance in that time.

When was the last time we had a legit shot to win our conference and/or beat uo?

Your constant getting on your knees for Gundy sure gets old.

I'll say this. We had some momentum, and it seemed like Gundy was doing a good job back when we had Hunter and Randall. He had us moving in the right direction. He changed, and we've been WAY worse since. It's baffling, mostly because we've seen our greatest success ever, and Gundy abandoned the exact approach that yielded those results. That is my biggest point of frustration with HCMG.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Gundy and Dunn know what the issues are right now and they have said as much fun. So just sit back and enjoy the process while they correct it.
They will "fix" it by continuing to do the same thing and blaming injury/youth (this is already RA's battle cry). We had all of last year, fall and spring practice and two games yet nothing has been nor will be "fixed". If our coaches didn't recognize the problems we are having on offense before the season started, why on earth would I just have faith they are gong to magically fix something..

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
I didn't know OSU existed until 2002. I'm talking recent, relevant history, mostly when Gundy was coaching. The offense under Yurcich was garbage from a scheme perspective, and only worked because we had elite WRs on the outside that could win the jump balls that Rudolph and other QBs heaved up and hoped for the best.

And no, Gundy doesn't get credit for Holgorsen or Monken, because he was forced to make those changes. He's since gone away from that approach, and we've done almost nothing of relevance in that time.

When was the last time we had a legit shot to win our conference and/or beat uo?

Your constant getting on your knees for Gundy sure gets old.

I'll say this. We had some momentum, and it seemed like Gundy was doing a good job back when we had Hunter and Randall. He had us moving in the right direction. He changed, and we've been WAY worse since. It's baffling, mostly because we've seen our greatest success ever, and Gundy abandoned the exact approach that yielded those results. That is my biggest point of frustration with HCMG.
Dez and Blackmon just physically stronger than most DB's
Washington/hill faster than most DB's
Wallace was unbelievable (the best I've ever seen here) at getting separation at the ball

You might be on to something here

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
They will "fix" it by continuing to do the same thing and blaming injury/youth (this is already RA's battle cry). We had all of last year, fall and spring practice and two games yet nothing has been nor will be "fixed". If our coaches didn't recognize the problems we are having on offense before the season started, why on earth would I just have faith they are gong to magically fix something..
Oh, you must not have heard. Gundy said after the game that they have to do a better job of drawing up plays so that they can move the ball. So, they're definitely on it. Expect fireworks from here on out:)

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Is this thread not about Boise State anymore?
I've watching some of both of their first two games. I think it will be a good game b/c it will be the first good test of our defense. They have some good talent on the offensive side. IF we shut them down I think it bodes well for the rest of the season for us defensively against at least the majority of big 12 teams, but maybe not the best in our league. I'm not sure what to think about their defense against our offense, hopefully will be bust out of whatever kind of funk we've been going through and put up some points and gain some much needed confidence.

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq
Do you get all of your links to stuff directly from the OSU website? Because they aren't using TuneIn this year apparently and are instead using the learfield app which is called Varsity Network. I've heard multiple complain that the TuneIn channel wasn't working for them. I wouldn't know because I'm too busy at the stadium to listen.

Yep. The Game Notes list the TuneIn link, as well as the radio page on the athletics website.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
I think it might be good for us to go on the road. Maybe we can bring back the aggressive passing game on offense that we showed in the bowl game to beat a really good Miami team. Maybe not 10 straight pass plays to start the game, but not forced runs on first and second, pass on third down offense we have seen either. I'd rather go down because of some dropped balls and interceptions because of young receivers than go down running a vanilla predictable offense.
That game set some high expectations coming into this season that are far from being met