1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

BPS seat widening

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by cbruce73401, Jan 12, 2017.

1. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
    A/V Subscriber

The football team is successful right now. We have won at least 10 games five of the last seven seasons. This is the best the OSU football program has ever been.

And despite that, we cannot sell out more than one game per season.

This isn't as if we are averaging six wins per year and have over 55,000 tickets sold per game. If that were the case, then yes, I could see an argument for expanding the stadium.

But the fact is that our ceiling really isn't that much higher from where we are right now. And it isn't as if we've been sporadic in our success. Like I said, 5 of the last 7 years. And yet, ticket sales aren't climbing any higher.

"Make the upper deck tickets much cheaper" says the fan that doesn't understand the finance side of this. Let's say in a best case scenario, you sell those tickets for $10 (as someone suggested) and you get 5,000 more fans. For those additional fans, you have to hire more security guards, more ticket vendors, more maintenance workers, sales employees, etc. The rate of return (even if you include concession stand/clothing store sales) isn't enough to make it financially feasible over the course of an entire season.

It's the same reason why we've only seen the 4 for $20 ticket promo for basketball for two games.

The bottom line is that you need a waiting list for several years before you even think of this. And you probably need it even in years where the team isn't that successful. Because like I said, we are at the best point we have ever been in our history of football. What would happen to ticket sales in our current stadium capacity if we finished three years in a row with seven wins? What if it was even worse than that?

Now imagine that stadium with 10,000 additional empty seats.

2. CocoCincinnati

CocoCincinnati Federal Marshal

It sucks that people will have to move but this has been needed for a while and is a welcome change as far as I'm concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  3. osufan4life

osufan4life Deputy

Just to be clear. I'm not for or against expansion. But every single time OSU has expanded or talked expansion these same exact arguments against the expansion have been raised. Every single time. Not once has the stadium been expanded with a waiting list or even sold out every game for a season.

my take on this seating issue is to help justify the upper deck in the future. Reduce the number of seats, make it more comfortable for those that are there and hopefully increase demand. Then you are closer to justifying the upper deck.

#123 osufan4life, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
    A/V Subscriber

But the situation the program is in now is different than it was then. We hadn't had constant success when we decided to expand. There was a much higher ceiling to have more fans jump on board and come to games.

We're averaging 10 win seasons and can't fill up the stadium. We would have even less people in the stands if we hit a slump and averaged 7 wins in a few seasons.

There just isn't a reason to expand. There is no fiscal or general effect advantage to it.

5. BA_POKE85

BA_POKE85 Cowboy

My son got a similar call this past week. We are losing our seats in 333 to the new visitors seating section. Funny how we were concerned about the seat widening causing problems but entirely something else occurs. With the Posse ticket setup, we are going to upgrade (extra $100) and move to better seats. So all is good.

6. cowboycramer

cowboycramer Deputy

I'm really hoping with the move of the visitors they move the visiting bands! Put them up in the corner of 333 or 334! Especially that one from down south.

7. Poke4Christ

Poke4Christ Federal Marshal

I'm sure it might be mentioned somewhere in the thread, but does anyone know how much this is changing capacity? I current official capacity is 60,218 according to wikipedia. I'm curious what this will change it to. I did some rough math of removing two seats from every row of every section (counting wide sections as two) and I ended up with 64 (rough count of rows) x 41 = 2624. That sounds high to me though.

8. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Your mom goes to college.

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  9. OstatePokes

OstatePokes Territorial Marshal

I was on the phone with the ticket office this for an unrelated matter and asked about the change in seating; I was told about 3000 seats would be lost, so your estimate seems to be on the right track. The guy said we should certainly have a chance to sell out season tickets.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

It was necessary. But it will be harder to get seats and we have had a lot of games over the past few years that were over the new capacity. With the excitement of the team for next year and reduced capacity our season ticket sales will be very near capacity considering about 5k are saved for the visitors.

The new capacity of the stadium is 56,790, less about 5k for visitors that's just around 52k left.

11. tony6777

tony6777 Anthony
    A/V Subscriber

The ar

So, it says "most" in the 200 & 300 levels. Which sections were excluded? Also, I wonder if the chair-backs and cushions are going to be wider or just spaced from each other a bit further. If they are kept the same, then that will leave a significant gap between the seats. Even if seats are wider, sometimes folks get offset a bit as we shift around to get some shoulder room to fill the voids of empty seats. That gap can be a pain in the butt, literally.

12. llcoolw

llcoolw Sheriff

I was just getting to know my neighbors so personally though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Once you've shared thigh sweat you're bonded for life.

• Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 2
  14. llcoolw

llcoolw Sheriff

You're lucky. We've exchanged body fluids.

• Like Like x 1
    • WOW WOW x 1
  15. oSuAusTex

oSuAusTex Territorial Marshal

(Cut/paste of a few paragraphs from the article):

The venue hosted a record 60,218 in November 2013 to watch OSU defeat Baylor. It has hosted seven crowds of more than 59,000 in the past four seasons, including 59,584 for homecoming this past year.

That record, and those top crowds in OSU history, will stand for the foreseeable future. The new capacity of the stadium is 56,790, a reduction of 3,418 seats.

16. llcoolw

llcoolw Sheriff

Wow is right and I'm not kidding. I've been smooched more times than I can remember. I blame Gundy and all those damned touchdowns.

17. OkState1974

OkState1974 Deputy
    A/V Subscriber

IF you want to know why we are not selling out, go to the season ticket sales map. EVERY section in the stadium is SOLD out except the four highest donor sections on the south side. The are ALWAYS unused seat there because the per game price is somewhere around $250-$500 per game. Yes we have cheap seats. But they are always sold out. Pre expansion, we could not sell out 51,000 for OU or Nebraska regularly. We added 10,000 "cheap seats" in the end zone and they sold out! Now we are averaging 55-56K.

Bet if we added 10,00 reasonably priced seats in an upper deck, we would sell most of those out and the same seats in the donor section on the south side would STILL be empty!

I'm tired of maximizing revenue. We need FANS in the stands. You sure don't see Top Tier programs pricing their stadiums to maximize revenue. They want demand so people are begging for tickets. Creates waiting lists. Leads to more fans. Blah, blah blah. Never mind. Clear it wont happen.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

It will. It's just a question of when.

19. NorthOKCowboy

NorthOKCowboy Wrangler

I guess the upside of downsizing is...more potential Sellouts (minus those clubs seats that can't be sold for fire code reasons)
    Sellouts create a reason to ....well you know