1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bring Doug Home

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by CrazyPoke#1, Mar 18, 2017.

?

Should we hire Doug Gottlieb to be the next head coach of the Oklahoma State MBB program?

Poll closed Friday at 9:50 PM.
  1. Yes - bring Doug home!

204 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No - he doesn't have the necessary experience

107 vote(s)
    34.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takeout Slide

Takeout Slide Hardcore Troubadour

I don't need a public apology at all. I suppose I misunderstood what you were saying. But I would like to believe that Doug, whose done nothing but support OSU - even after being passed over for the job - wouldn't trash OSU. But I certainly could be wrong in that.

Whatever the case, I don't envy Holder's position right now. Hard to see how the end of the Sutton era, the Ford situation, and this Underwood deal aren't going to do anything but make it hard to hire a solid coach.

And "Amen" to your last couple sentences.

2. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Children will be children won't they. I've raised some kids and have learned to mostly ignore childish things. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

While you're correct that he would have that platform, I don't think that Doug Gottlieb would resort to that. He's a professional.

That doesn't mean that I support him being hired--far from it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pennpoke

pennpoke Deputy

I'm raising children too and their poop is one childish thing I find hard to ignore.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cimarron

He may not, but hard to tell what bitter people will say.

And with that said if DG was otherwise qualified that shouldn't even be a consideration. But since we would be hiring DG based on things other than his coaching abilities it becomes somewhat of a concern.

6. pakcowboy

pakcowboy Wrangler

Doug is the guy and should be hired.

• Like Like x 2
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 1
  7. Cimarron

:) well certainly you have to deal with it.

8. NTXPokette

NTXPokette Greenhorn

This! Doug certainly hasn't been shy about expressing his desire to take on the OSU job, but nothing about his actions have said he's serious about being a D1 coach. If this is really he dream job, he should get some experience somewhere as an assistant or in the lower ranks and make himself a more appealing candidate - and raise the chances that the university that he loves would succeed with him at the helm. It's frankly not fair to expect his university to take a huge risk with one of their two major sports on a complete unknown just because he's a well known alumni who wants the job. Doug could turn out to be great, but he could also turn out to be a colossal failure, and the risk that he's the latter is just too great when he has done absolutely nothing to prove that he can actually coach and run a program.

That said, it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Regardless of how true the rumors may be surrounding Holder and his treatment of coaches and (lack of) support for the basketball program, they are out there. And no way that it doesn't look fishy that a coach jumped ship after one year for a lesser program. Unless the money is just over the top good, what coach (especially a proven coach that theoretically has options) wants to walk into that? It's entirely possible that our realistic options are more limited than we'd like to think. To my mind, if Doug gets hired, it says that we failed at getting our first several choices to accept the job, and we need to look REAL hard at whether changes should be made at AD.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

I'll admit it, I'm on board. I wasn't last time and the same reason is still there. It's more of an emotional decision than logical one. But I'm there. I'd like to see him get his shot.

This quote from Doug did crack me up:

"As a college coach, you're probably always getting paid way more than you probably should be paid."

• Like Like x 1
  10. jac1599

jac1599 Sheriff

We know that DG has applied for other jobs, but hasn't landed any. He has done this in an attempt to get that experience he needs to be seriously considered for the OSU job.

But that makes me wonder if he was passed over on these other jobs because he has been VERY vocal about wanting to be at OSU.

Think about it like this...if Underwood had said "Guys, I really want this job, but I plan on leaving next year because this other job will be available." Would we waste our time? I don't think so.

Doug's lack of experience may not be his fault. He has been trying to get a coaching gig (at least the last 2 years, he has been trying).

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. pennpoke

pennpoke Deputy

Yes, many kinds of it.

12. NitroOrange

NitroOrange Sheriff

As good as I felt about Holder hiring BU last year is as bad as I feel about his ability to renegotiate a contract.

With regard to Doug, the first thing I thought after hearing about this debacle Saturday, maybe DG is an option. He should have tried some coaching somewhere for sure, but his B-ball acumen is pretty keen and as personality goes, he's hard to beat.

If (and I think it's a long shot) DG gets the nod. It needs to be an open ended deal. He has a good result after his first year, then renegotiate something more definable in terms of time and money. Isn't this pretty much what BU wanted?

But if we are going to take a risk with a guy who has no coaching resume', DG is going to have to live with trial and error approach in terms of a contract.

• Like Like x 1
  13. slingerpoke

slingerpoke Deputy

Doug was just on the Animal with Mark and Dusty. Man, he had me fired up! I'm sure it will be on a pod later and I would recommend listening to it. He wasn't the right guy last year but given what has transpired, this is the time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 1
  14. brewzer

brewzer Cowboy

Heard the same discussion. I'm in.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tulsagigapan

Tulsagigapan Cowboy

I'd give Doug 3 years to see what he could do.

16. Orangendn

Orangendn Territorial Marshal

The thing about hiring Doug is that he has already said he would bring in Desmond Mason as an assistant. So now you have TWO coaches at OSU with zero experience. Can anyone else see that is a recipe for disaster? Chances of success go way down from even having just one inexperienced coach.

Can Gottlieb fire his buddies? Gottlieb knows a bunch of basketball people but a reasonable person could say he knows few of these from a "working relationship". It has mostly been on a friendly relationship level. Doug has not had to get down and dirty with any of these people. No field work with these connections. So does he know how these people truly work? And if their style is different can he fire his buddies?

If DG is hired then it should be with the stipulation that he must avoid hiring anybody without experience. One coach on staff without experience is enough.

#116 Orangendn, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

Doug can be our Charlie Strong?

18. bacowboy

bacowboy Territorial Marshal

Never heard him say that ever. He was on with RA this morning and was asked about assistants. The only he named was his brother Greg who is and has been a P5 assistant for 20 years. The others which he didn't name because they either are currently employed or still in the business. He said his list is made up of current assistants and former head coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OrangeFanatic2

I read a quote that says DG has a staff in place ready to go if hired and that it doesn't include former teammates/friends.. Take it for what it's worth.

20. Orangendn

Orangendn Territorial Marshal

My mistake then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.