1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bring Doug Home

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by CrazyPoke#1, Mar 18, 2017.

?

Should we hire Doug Gottlieb to be the next head coach of the Oklahoma State MBB program?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2017.
  1. Yes - bring Doug home!

204 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No - he doesn't have the necessary experience

107 vote(s)
    34.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

The only stipulation should be performance. Pay him $500k for one year and go from there. Our AD shouldn't be providing stipulations at this point. He's shown a total lack of judgment in this arena so far.

2. CowboyOrangeFan

CowboyOrangeFan Mmmm, yeah.
    A/V Subscriber

Every time I see this title I feel like Doug is missing after some stealth CIA-backed trip to the Middle East somewhere. Makes me feel like I need to buy a yellow ribbon.

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. bbriscoe

bbriscoe Cowboy

But we don't need a $500k coach. Illinois just paid us a $3M buyout, so lets use the money we have, and the increased ticket sales, and go get the best coach out there who can win now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

We had a good coach for that money and wouldn't pay him. What makes you think we'll turn around and pony up for someone else?

• Like Like x 2
  5. poknround

poknround Cowboy

Agree with this 200% and then some. Bring him in and give him 2-3 seasons to see if he can get it done. I believe that he can.

• Total Poop Total Poop x 1
  6. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

There's nothing that brings stability like a coach with a one year contract. Maybe we can become the San Francisco 49ers of college basketball and change coaches annually.

7. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

You need to give a new coach a minimum of three years if you hope to give your program any stability.

8. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

So you agree that Holder screwed up Underwood's contract?

9. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

No.

I don't think that we'd be doing ourselves any service by signing the next coach to a one year contract.

You can't control whether your coach decides to rabbit after a year. You can control when you're forced to negotiate. A one year contract forces that issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 1
  10. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

Didn't we sign Underwood to a one year contract last year?

11. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

No. Are you completely daft? Illinois had to pay us $3M because Underwood broke his contract.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jac1599

jac1599 Sheriff

13. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

Good to know. But the contract didn't really mean much, because he left anyway. A good coach is worth a certain amount, and it appears we aren't willing to pay that.

14. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

We weren't willing to pay him that amount because we didn't believe that he was worth it. I don't disagree with Holder in this instance. That 0-6 start in the Big 12 was pathetic. The season ended with a string of losses where we played very poor defense and failed to make any real adjustments when teams exploited us.

I'm fine with Holder making that determination based on what I saw of Underwood.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Federal Marshal

Puhlease. Some of our fans can't be honest. It's impossible to play defense with Phil Forte out there. He has no foot speed or size. its' fine if he played point guard but he's too slow for that too. Love the kid, great Cowboy but let's be honest.

16. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

Fair enough. All of this really comes down to how each of us perceive Underwood as a coach (and unavoidably, how that perception is related to Ford) and how you perceive OSU as a program. Personally, I thought Underwood was worth paying for, and I think our job isn't the type that can lure the top, proven, available coaches.

A lot of people disagree. The disagreement usually stems from people who believe OSU is a top program nationally, and that we can pull in the best available coaches. Naturally, those same people (having a superior view of OSU) will instantly turn on anyone who leaves, saying things like, "We didn't want them anyway." Funny how those same people were singing their praises until they leave, then we didn't want them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MusicCityPoke

MusicCityPoke Greenhorn

I'm on board with Doug. The way I see it, we'll get him in here for cheap, fans will turn out to see how he does as a coach. Financially speaking, which is how we lost BU, it makes since. Give Doug a couple years to prove himself as a coach; at the very least, there's high probability he will increase the program's bottom line (ticket sales up, costs down) and we can then use the money saved to go after a big time coach when/if Doug turns into a flop.

18. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Federal Marshal

Way to be positive. Dude take a Xanax. How about Doug might turn out to be one of the best coaches in the country. Why think negatively.

19. PistolPete'sMustache

A/V Subscriber

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

Perhaps I am the only one on OP who feels this way, but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever you reply to one of my posts.

To be clear, I was talking about former coach Brad Underwood and his inability to make adjustments on defense when an opponent is exploiting our weaknesses.

Unbeknownst to me, I may have been talking about Phil Forte's defense in a different dimension, but I don't believe that to be the case.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.