BYU, Cincy, Houston, UCF will join B12 07/23

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
there will be one year of overlap i think with OU and UT.
ESPN doesnt have SEC rights until 2024.

Mike Gundy says Big 12 will stay at 14.
Big 12 likely to settle on 14-team football league, Mike Gundy says (oklahoman.com)
I just don't see it lasting. WVU is an obvious candidate for SEC/ACC and KU will bolt for the B1G. Any of the rest would take an invite from any of the other 4 conferences too. Just don't see how it lasts past the next round of media deals. I think it could be a solid league, but the incentive for any of the members to bolt will be too much to overcome.

Sep 9, 2013
i dont think anyone knows how this circus will end.
The SEC and BIG may not want to expand with anyone left. ACC deal runs through 2036 and it pays peanuts.

people are saying the protection of that longterm deal lasts until no later than 2030.

that sounds like a long time, but the SEC and BIG may be willing to wait 8 years for UNC, UVA, VY, Duke NC State, Clemson, FSU, Miami.

Why jump on Kansas now, when you can have UNC later?
SEC jump on WVU or wait on VT? VT much bigger market.
ACC may have a hard time expanding bc i think they will be torn apart in the next round of realignment as they have a lot of blue bloods getting paid almost nothing compared to BIG and SEC.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I think our facilities and successes are going to lead us to the SEC eventually. They are already having scheduling issues with16 teams. They need two more teams to make everything work correctly or they need to kick two out.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
I think our facilities and successes are going to lead us to the SEC eventually. They are already having scheduling issues with16 teams. They need two more teams to make everything work correctly or they need to kick two out.
They would poach from the ACC before taking us. We bring nothing in terms of eyes watching. I could see them going after FSU and Clemson.

Sep 9, 2013
They would poach from the ACC before taking us. We bring nothing in terms of eyes watching. I could see them going after FSU and Clemson.
SEC already has florida and sc markets, though.
and i think UNC and UVA are BIG bound.
VT and nc state probably offer more value to sec than fsu and clemson bc of new state markets. nc and virginia prety big states.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I don't agree because once you have the market locked in now you need a way to keep your traditions alive. College sports is all about traditions. Bedlam, Red River Rivalry, Iron Bowl, Egg Bowl they all have name recognition. Clemson and Oklahoma State are the only two that fit the bill.

Aug 7, 2006
Markets aren't going to matter as much going forward for the SEC and B1G... Compelling matchups are going to drive the bus in the future because that is what the networks want.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
SEC already has florida and sc markets, though.
and i think UNC and UVA are BIG bound.
VT and nc state probably offer more value to sec than fsu and clemson bc of new state markets. nc and virginia prety big states.
If the ACC made an offer to move WVU to the ACC and the money after fees and distribution was the same, would you want to go? Just curious.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I don't agree because once you have the market locked in now you need a way to keep your traditions alive. College sports is all about traditions. Bedlam, Red River Rivalry, Iron Bowl, Egg Bowl they all have name recognition. Clemson and Oklahoma State are the only two that fit the bill.
Living down in the Florida panhandle now, I see that the UF/FSU rivalry (Sunshine Showdown) is a legit rivalry.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
I just don't see it lasting. WVU is an obvious candidate for SEC/ACC and KU will bolt for the B1G. Any of the rest would take an invite from any of the other 4 conferences too. Just don't see how it lasts past the next round of media deals. I think it could be a solid league, but the incentive for any of the members to bolt will be too much to overcome.
And 14 teams, even if it did last, would be bad for the schools that weren't G5 moveups because at least half the league, if not the majority if there are more departures, would be moveups. That's not a recipe for keeping a reputation as a "Power Five" conference.

Jan 14, 2006
In reference to tv deals. ESPN lost 10% of their cable subscribers last year and ESPN+ loses money. Their days of manipulating the landscape may be coming to an end.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
23/24 and 24/25 years
North Division
BYU
KSU
KU
ISU
WVU
Cincinnati
OSU

South Division
TT
TCU
BU
UT
UH
UCF
OU

Play six in your Division and two in the other Division and three non conference. Conference Championship between winner of each Division.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
23/24 and 24/25 years
North Division
BYU
KSU
KU
ISU
WVU
Cincinnati
OSU

South Division
TT
TCU
BU
UT
UH
UCF
OU

Play six in your Division and two in the other Division and three non conference. Conference Championship between winner of each Division.
I think Gundy would object. We need to play in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mar 29, 2014
You are right about Clemson.