BYU, Cincy, Houston, UCF will join B12 07/23

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
Given the fact that six C-USA schools are moving from the C-USA to the AAC replacing these schools makes that statement factually untrue.

I don’t agree with AAC 2.0 either, but it’s at least a knowledgeable comparison when six C-USA schools are upgrading to the AAC replacing the three new Big 12 schools. You can be nervous about the reputation of the conference without being ignorant.
Other conferences don't consider the new Big 12 to even be a power conference. "Power" and "G5" aren't just terms to separate us. The power conferences get a vote to determine legislation and things like playoff format. Why would the SEC include us? Why would the triple alliance of the BIG, ACC, and PAC 12 include us? The writing is on the wall man. Wake up.

The bad news is we are at the very bottom of the power 64 teams but included for now. Not if, but when the break happens, we better be playing for the same championship as OU. Do you even see how that's where this is going?

The good news is the alliance of the BIG, ACC, and PAC12 is nominal. The BIG is fine. The ACC and PAC12 are one conference re-alignment round from being the next BIG 12 (i.e. FSU/Clemson to BIG or USC/Oregon to BIG).

The scary news is that we don't know if the split will be between power 5 and group of 5... or SEC/BIG vs everyone else. If they go the premier legue model, they might only want 30-35 teams. Fast forward 10 years and Mississippi State and Purdue are minor league teams and OSU is D2 because of their conference affiliation. The days of pretending New Mexico and Eastern Michigan are playing the same sport as Alabama are numbered.

Last edited:

CowboyVenus

An orange light stuck in the crimson darkness
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2010
Norman, OK
OU and Texas targeting leaving Big12 a year early (2024).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...024-as-debut-season-in-league-per-report/amp/

I still don’t see how the hell OU is going to afford $80m+ to leave… Loans, maybe creative financing, idk. And if the economic conditions don’t have a major shift, this might be the worst time to try to swing it…
There will probably be a negotiated lower buyout. There is a win-win number for one year less that works.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Other conferences don't consider the new Big 12 to even be a power conference. "Power" and "G5" aren't just terms to separate us. The power conferences get a vote to determine legislation and things like playoff format. Why would the SEC include us? Why would the triple alliance of the BIG, ACC, and PAC 12 include us? The writing is on the wall man. Wake up.

The bad news is we are at the very bottom of the power 64 teams but included for now. Not if, but when the break happens, we better be playing for the same championship as OU. Do you even see how that's where this is going?

The good news is the alliance of the BIG, ACC, and PAC12 is nominal. The BIG is fine. The ACC and PAC12 are one conference re-alignment round from being the next BIG 12 (i.e. FSU/Clemson to BIG or USC/Oregon to BIG).

The scary news is that we don't know if the split will be between power 5 and group of 5... or SEC/BIG vs everyone else. If they go the premier legue model, they might only want 30-35 teams. Fast forward 10 years and Mississippi State and Purdue are minor league teams and OSU is D2 because of their conference affiliation. The days of pretending New Mexico and Eastern Michigan are playing the same sport as Alabama are numbered.
The big 12 will be just as competitive without Texas. OU is a loss...but we replaced them with four substantial teams. I'd argue that we replaced them with the best teams outside of the power five. History backs that up. We didn't include teams that have fallen off or have never been great. One was in the playoff just last year...and another had an undefeated team a few years ago and claims a national title...still another has a national title...all in football. It's not like we added four scrubs to replace the turncoats.

If the other conferences don't consider us a power five that's on them. The future Big 12 is already much better than the PAC AND the ACC.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The big 12 will be just as competitive without Texas. OU is a loss...but we replaced them with four substantial teams. I'd argue that we replaced them with the best teams outside of the power five. History backs that up. We didn't include teams that have fallen off or have never been great. One was in the playoff just last year...and another had an undefeated team a few years ago and claims a national title...still another has a national title...all in football. It's not like we added four scrubs to replace the turncoats.

If the other conferences don't consider us a power five that's on them. The future Big 12 is already much better than the PAC AND the ACC.
Notre Dame says "hi"

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010

You underestimate the clout the big 12 gets by having OU and texas. Road trips to Austin every other year helps maintain a footprint in texas in what is usually a prominent game that week. Still plenty of visits to texas going on but you still lose the two most prominent games in your schedule every year. Replaced with 4 decent mid major programs sure but they’re basically on the level of Osu so the big 12 reputation will be as good as their most prominent programs, like Osu and Baylor right now. Looking forward to the new teams for the fun new Road trips for fans. But I’m not sure we’ll see any new big 12 teams ending with top 10 recruiting classes. Maybe Baylor at some point. Maybe.

I looked up the numbers and almost every week the Ou or texas game was the number 1 or 2 most viewed big 12 game that week. Replacing Ucf or Baylor or cincy games will only get so much interest

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You underestimate the clout the big 12 gets by having OU and texas. Road trips to Austin every other year helps maintain a footprint in texas in what is usually a prominent game that week. Still plenty of visits to texas going on but you still lose the two most prominent games in your schedule every year. Replaced with 4 decent mid major programs sure but they’re basically on the level of Osu so the big 12 reputation will be as good as their most prominent programs, like Osu and Baylor right now. Looking forward to the new teams for the fun new Road trips for fans. But I’m not sure we’ll see any new big 12 teams ending with top 10 recruiting classes. Maybe Baylor at some point. Maybe.

I looked up the numbers and almost every week the Ou or texas game was the number 1 or 2 most viewed big 12 game that week. Replacing Ucf or Baylor or cincy games will only get so much interest
Football's driving this conversation, I know, but OU & TX also have/had final two in the WCWS and two of the eight in the CWS.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
As I said the New super conference needs patsies. Plating a schedule of all SEC or B10 teams would introduce parity. Blue bloods hate parity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'd argue blue bloods hate parity because of the championship model. The second your record can absorb multiple losses and still maintain your ability to win a trophy, this will go away.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'd argue blue bloods hate parity because of the championship model. The second your record can absorb multiple losses and still maintain your ability to win a trophy, this will go away.
And this is why I wrestle with the playoffs expanding, especially to 12. That would absolutely open the door for 2, or even a 3 loss SEC or B1G team making it. If you don't believe this could happen, look no further than tOSU's inclusion in the CFP when they played 7 games. Sure, they smoked Clemson in the semis to get to face Bama, but the rules had to be changed to even allow them to participate. This is naked and out in the open catering to TV networks and the big brands, period.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
As I said the New super conference needs patsies. Plating a schedule of all SEC or B10 teams would introduce parity. Blue bloods hate parity.

The fans won’t accept it. 6-6 won’t cut it.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
And this is why I wrestle with the playoffs expanding, especially to 12. That would absolutely open the door for 2, or even a 3 loss SEC or B1G team making it. If you don't believe this could happen, look no further than tOSU's inclusion in the CFP when they played 7 games. Sure, they smoked Clemson in the semis to get to face Bama, but the rules had to be changed to even allow them to participate. This is naked and out in the open catering to TV networks and the big brands, period.
If they go to 12, you'll definitely have some 2 loss blue blood teams make it. But you'll also have team like OSU and Baylor have a much better chance. And if our conference is so doomed as some say it is, then you're going to need 12 getting in to even have a chance.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
There will probably be a negotiated lower buyout. There is a win-win number for one year less that works.
Do you think that the Big12 would be willing to negotiate a lower buyout?

From what I understand OU/Texas both owe the Big12 $80m in exit fees. That’s regardless of when they leave If they leave before 2025 they either have to pay in addition to the exit fees.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Do you think that the Big12 would be willing to negotiate a lower buyout?

From what I understand OU/Texas both owe the Big12 $80m in exit fees. That’s regardless of when they leave If they leave before 2025 they either have to pay in addition to the exit fees.
Why negotiate, a deal is a deal. They either pony up or they stay. Why be nice to them, business is business.

Jul 31, 2008
A deal is never ironclad
You negotiate to assure that you get at least 80% of what you want vs taking the risk of getting less.
Pretty common in any Biz contract termination

Sep 9, 2013
the big east was a bcs conference when WVU was the best brand in it.

so yeah, the new big 12 is a power 5 conference bc it consists of power 5 teams.

Big East proves you dont need a blue blood to have a seat at the big boy table. and all talk of taking away the Big East's seat ended when WVU upset SEC champion georgia in the Sugar Bowl played in atlanta(bc katrina had forced the location to be moved).

Baylor just won the sugar bowl last year, and the remaining teams have beaten good teams in bowls. Big 12 will have a seat, but may not make as much money.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Why negotiate, a deal is a deal. They either pony up or they stay. Why be nice to them, business is business.
That’s what I’m saying as well.

A negotiation requires a party to add value to a deal to achieve a more favorable outcome. otherwise it’s not a negotiation, it’s just lowering the price.

We really have them by the nuts here, I don’t see how lowering their buyout would be a benefit to the Big12 and member institutions without getting back some additional value. I can’t possibly fathom what value OU/UT could possibly add to get a more favorable buyout.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I totally agree. After over 100 years of playing us and being conference mates they have screwed us over without even a heads up, why would we negotiate that amount down? If anything we should sue for more!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That’s what I’m saying as well.

A negotiation requires a party to add value to a deal to achieve a more favorable outcome. otherwise it’s not a negotiation, it’s just lowering the price.

We really have them by the nuts here, I don’t see how lowering their buyout would be a benefit to the Big12 and member institutions without getting back some additional value. I can’t possibly fathom what value OU/UT could possibly add to get a more favorable buyout.
Agreed the rest of the conference should actually sue the SEC and ou/Texas specifically for more since they poached our conference without even a heads up. This may end that behavior.