CFB Playoff #5 CFP, #5 Coaches, #5 AP

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I can now officially drop the sarcastic negative Nancy routing with regards to the CFP rankings. We control our own destiny. Beat Baylor and we're in, somewhere, depending on how the other CCGs go.

Apologies to those I argued with so vehemently in this and other threads about rankings. Appears the mojo did its job.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I can now officially drop the sarcastic negative Nancy routing with regards to the CFP rankings. We control our own destiny. Beat Baylor and we're in, somewhere, depending on how the other CCGs go.

Apologies to those I argued with so vehemently in this and other threads about rankings. Appears the mojo did its job.
Not necessarily.

First we have to beat Baylor.

If Alabama beats Georgia then both Georgia and Alabama get an invite to the CFI (College Football Invitational).

If Alabama beats Georgia then we need either Michigan or Cincinnati to get beat as well.

There are four games that matter.

Oklahoma State and Baylor
Georgia and Alabama
Houston and Cincinnati
Michigan and Iowa

Notre Dame needs a lot of upsets to happen.

It will be an interesting Saturday!!!

Oct 7, 2012

I disagree. If Bama, Michigan, and Cincy win, Pokes are out.

The Poke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Not necessarily.

First we have to beat Baylor.

If Alabama beats Georgia then both Georgia and Alabama get an invite to the CFI (College Football Invitational).

If Alabama beats Georgia then we need either Michigan or Cincinnati to get beat as well.

There are four games that matter.

Oklahoma State and Baylor
Georgia and Alabama
Houston and Cincinnati
Michigan and Iowa

Notre Dame needs a lot of upsets to happen.

It will be an interesting Saturday!!!
I still trust this simulator.

1638324207643.png

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I’m extremely curious. In your scenario….How could you or anyone else even begin to justify Cincy’s schedule vs ours as a measure of getting in???
It would be almost poetic if we broke the playoff, but this time by being invited. Cincy being left out would absolutely hasten the demise of the four team format, which almost has to come with the new SEC.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Gumby has been correct all along, but my negative-mojo wouldn't allow me to say it.

1-loss conference champions get in over any Group of 5. Period. We would swap at the end.

The Gof5 bought into this when they accept their top representative to go to a New Year's 6 bowl. Their commissioners agreed to it. They have to live with that.

Oct 7, 2012
I don't want to underestimate the committee's ability to %&^# things up but all the computer simulations out there just can't compute a 1-loss Big12 Champ being left out.

I think the committee signaled tonight that an undefeated Cincy is deserving of a higher rank than OSU. IMO, assuming both teams win, the CFP will reward Cincy with a playoff spot.

I don’t know anything about computer simulations, etc. Wasn’t that how the BCS worked before the CFP came into play? Are the 4 teams picked by the CFP committee all based on a human vote?

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I don't want to underestimate the committee's ability to %&^# things up but all the computer simulations out there just can't compute a 1-loss Big12 Champ being left out.
You’re better than I, because I have zero faith in the committee. A 4 team playoff and ESPN having exclusive rights to the “reveal show” means a lot of money is at stake. If an unbeaten Cincy does not make it, the CFP as we know it could implode and possibly hurt revenue for certain organizations people. Not to mention bowl games. But I’m sure I’ll get labeled as wearing a tin foil hat for saying any of that.

Nov 18, 2010
I think the committee signaled tonight that an undefeated Cincy is deserving of a higher rank than OSU. IMO, assuming both teams win, the CFP will reward Cincy with a playoff spot.

I don’t know anything about computer simulations, etc. Wasn’t that how the BCS worked before the CFP came into play? Are the 4 teams picked by the CFP committee all based on a human vote?
The argument could, and if necessary, will be made that our last game, against a top 10 ranked Baylor, is more impressive than their win against Houston. +CFP eyetest points.

Would that be enough to jump Cinci? I'd rather we don't have to find out. But a pretty solid argument could be made for OSU, should it become necessary.

Houston is no joke, by the way. Apparently their one loss came when their QB threw 4 INT's in the second half against Texas Tech, in the first game of the year.

Jan 2, 2005

Actually when asked about Cinn, Barta hinted that it was very close between Cinn and Ok State as of now. Prior to that he was very insistent about the committee being impressed with recent wins, especially bedlam during rivalry week, which was very important to them. IMO, he indicated a win against #9 Baylor would push us over an undefeated Cinn.

We win, we're #3.

Just win baby!

Oct 7, 2012
The argument could, and if necessary, will be made that our last game, against a top 10 ranked Baylor, is more impressive than their win against Houston. +CFP eyetest points.

Would that be enough to jump Cinci? I'd rather we don't have to find out. But a pretty solid argument could be made for OSU, should it become necessary.

Houston is no joke, by the way. Apparently their one loss came when their QB threw 4 INT's in the second half against Texas Tech, in the first game of the year.
I don’t disagree with any of that.

And I think someone will get beat this weekend. Just hope it’s not OSU or Georgia.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Deserving at this point in time. Add a P5 conference championship and a win over a top-10 opponent, and suddenly our resume is better than an undefeated G5 team that only played 2 P5 opponents. That’s just the way it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2005

Frankly, Houston is going to beat Cincinnati so none this matters. The only thing that matters is a win over Baylor.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Actually when asked about Cinn, Barta hinted that it was very close between Cinn and Ok State as of now. Prior to that he was very insistent about the committee being impressed with recent wins, especially bedlam during rivalry week, which was very important to them. IMO, he indicated a win against #9 Baylor would push us over an undefeated Cinn.

We win, we're #3.

Just win baby!
That's how i read what he said and what he didn't say.
Look no farther than the Ol Miss/BU swap this week. They were very close. It wasn't a "win and keep your spot" situation and next week won't be that way either.