CFN season prediction for Pokes football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
The offense has been a strength for years. I expect some new wrinkles but, not a complete overhaul. Hopefully Knowles defense makes progress in it’s second year.
I think Knowles is set up for a good season with his back 7, If the line can get some pressure or at least get the attention of all the blockers we will be fine on D. I would like to see our corners attack the ball and cause more turnovers.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
I believe it will be a good season for OSU.
I believe the opposite, but I hope you're correct and I'm wrong. Other than orange Kool-Aid and glasses, I don't know how anyone can fell very positive about the program right now. Our HC admitted that $5 million was not enough to motivate him last year. The only difference this year is he's one year older, $5 million richer, and he says he's now motivated. I sure hope he is, but last year felt different to me. It didn't feel like 2012 or 2015 to me. It felt more like the beginning of the end of something. I just don't know what that something is. The beginning of the end of the Gundy era maybe. We'll see if he's actually motivated this season or not. The Big XII is full of coaches with something to prove this year and they should be highly motivated. I just hope our coach is one of them, otherwise I think we'll be right back near the bottom again this season.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I believe the opposite, but I hope you're correct and I'm wrong. Other than orange Kool-Aid and glasses, I don't know how anyone can fell very positive about the program right now. Our HC admitted that $5 million was not enough to motivate him last year. The only difference this year is he's one year older, $5 million richer, and he says he's now motivated. I sure hope he is, but last year felt different to me. It didn't feel like 2012 or 2015 to me. It felt more like the beginning of the end of something. I just don't know what that something is. The beginning of the end of the Gundy era maybe. We'll see if he's actually motivated this season or not. The Big XII is full of coaches with something to prove this year and they should be highly motivated. I just hope our coach is one of them, otherwise I think we'll be right back near the bottom again this season.
that sounds a bit harsh (IMO), all things considered.

We did beat some of the top teams in the conference, we just had some stinker games too.

No more fans complaining about Yurcich (whether deserved or not), the OLine should be good one way or another (for a change)... New coaches all around (essentially)

and new imported punter ..... frankly, I'm actually struggling to find things to criticize the team over or about.

Obviously it going to come down to QB play and making stops, and both of those are going to be works in progress... but we'll see... 6-6 seasons simply are not in our makeup anymore.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx

We did beat some of the top teams in the conference, we just had some stinker games too.

No more fans complaining about Yurcich (whether deserved or not), the OLine should be good one way or another (for a change)... New coaches all around (essentially)

and new imported punter ..... frankly, I'm actually struggling to find things to criticize the team over or about.

Obviously it going to come down to QB play and making stops, and both of those are going to be works in progress... but we'll see... 6-6 seasons simply are not in our makeup anymore.
It might be harsh, but it's how I'm feeling about the program right now. We beat or played our best against all the ranked teams we played and lost to every unranked team (other than KU & non-con cupcakes). That seems to point toward a poorly coached team. While an improved line and punter and a new young OC are things to get excited about, the reason you're having a hard time finding things to criticize about the team is probably because it's the off season and your memory has mercifully wiped away how horribly undisciplined and inconsistent we were last year. It's easy to be optimistic in the off season when you just look at raw stats, who we have coming back, and imagining SS tearing up the conference from game 1. All that assumes Gundy gives a shit this year and really is motivated. If everything works out, I could see us winning 10 games and playing in the conference championship. Unfortunately, I can also see an inexperienced QB, a HC on cruise control, and our usual defensive issues landing us in 8th or 9th place.

I hope I'm wrong, and I usually am, but until this team shows it to us on the field, my expectations are pretty low for the season.

Nov 6, 2010
Modesty prevents....I'll only say that was absolutely not true at my HS. Our school was a little different at that time as the football team was really poor due to a number of issues and the band was really good. We had a number of ex-football players in band, and in the summer before my senior year we played our varsity 7 on 7 and beat them. The fastest guy at our school and some of the bigger guys were in band.

Many years later it has since shifted back to the football team playing for state championships and the marching band, which marched 136 and was getting 1's at state competition when I was there now down to less than 50 kids and is not very good.
Unfortunately for me and my band fag brothers, Burton's description fits my school pretty much on the money.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
So in your opinion how many wins this season? Fortunately most people are not motivated by money, he had his hand picked 5th year OC with a 5th year QB and an NFL RB and a couple of NFL WR and couldn't generate offense against Tech, K-State, or a bad TCU team. All but one of those guys are gone now and TBH that gives me hope. Those 3 games are the difference in a 7 win season and a 10 win season and Gundy knows it thus saying he didn't do his job.

Nov 6, 2010
It might be harsh, but it's how I'm feeling about the program right now. We beat or played our best against all the ranked teams we played and lost to every unranked team (other than KU & non-con cupcakes). That seems to point toward a poorly coached team. While an improved line and punter and a new young OC are things to get excited about, the reason you're having a hard time finding things to criticize about the team is probably because it's the off season and your memory has mercifully wiped away how horribly undisciplined and inconsistent we were last year. It's easy to be optimistic in the off season when you just look at raw stats, who we have coming back, and imagining SS tearing up the conference from game 1. All that assumes Gundy gives a shit this year and really is motivated. If everything works out, I could see us winning 10 games and playing in the conference championship. Unfortunately, I can also see an inexperienced QB, a HC on cruise control, and our usual defensive issues landing us in 8th or 9th place.

I hope I'm wrong, and I usually am, but until this team shows it to us on the field, my expectations are pretty low for the season.
I think you're reading a bit too much into Gundy's comments. I believe he is just accepting responsibility rather than throwing assistants and players under the bus. The team's inconsistencies, while frustrating, shouldn't be that surprising. TC playing for the first time, freshmen all over the place in the secondary, and Hill with one foot out the door already. And losing D. Daniels was really a blow from which the D never fully recovered IMO. Every team including ours will have issues next year, strengths and weaknesses. If we get consistency from our secondary and of course QB, and play with just a bit more discipline, there is no reason to think we can't win 9 in the regular season. If not, it could be a long year.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Stocked to the brim with WR/RB/QB talent (and guys currently on the 2020 recruiting list), the cupboard isn't finally bare at OL and getting back to higher level recruits, our young guys in the secondary can play... a lot to look forward too in the future.

The only thing with truly glaring questions at this point (other than unproven QB, which will fix itself in time) is the DL, but with JBC at the helm, we always seem to have 1 or 2 break-out guys. That's just because they're unknowns.

The future still looks as good as it could've been by the end of 2014, moving forward.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

Gundy has a tendency to stand back and let his more experienced, older players be the motivators and do the pushing when he has strong ones. Last year he likely thought he had those in guys like Darrion Daniels, Jalen Mcclesky, and even Justice Hill. Problem was due to injuries, transfers, and looking to the NFL he got very little from this group. Notice that most of our dud games happened after these guys were not playing for us. Betting that is a big part of what Gundy is meaning but he would almost never throw a player under the bus and say so. He just takes the blame and moves on.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
So in your opinion how many wins this season? Fortunately most people are not motivated by money, he had his hand picked 5th year OC with a 5th year QB and an NFL RB and a couple of NFL WR and couldn't generate offense against Tech, K-State, or a bad TCU team. All but one of those guys are gone now and TBH that gives me hope. Those 3 games are the difference in a 7 win season and a 10 win season and Gundy knows it thus saying he didn't do his job.
Those losses were games where Yurcich ran the offense. Gundy's hand was on the wins.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Spencer Sanders will be the Newcomer of the Year in the Big 12!
He'll have to keep Hurts and the Sooners out of the playoffs for that to happen.
No problem, we’re all about to find out how good an entire NFL O-Line can make players look, makes really good players great. Not saying they will be terrible because they have recruited well but if you don’t think replacing their entire offensive line will impact every aspect of their offense just wait and see. Hurts won’t look near as good as he would have behind last year’s line.

I am very confident and optimistic Coach Dickey, with everything we have returning and that we’ve recruited and redshirted, will have a significantly improved offensive line for us this year

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
No problem, we’re all about to find out how good an entire NFL O-Line can make players look, makes really good players great. Not saying they will be terrible because they have recruited well but if you don’t think replacing their entire offensive line will impact every aspect of their offense just wait and see. Hurts won’t look near as good as he would have behind last year’s line.

I am very confident and optimistic Coach Dickey, with everything we have returning and that we’ve recruited and redshirted, will have a significantly improved offensive line for us this year
To be fair they didn’t replace the most important lineman in center Creed Humphreys and he is a really good player.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX

Beyond the obvious QB concern, the defensive line could be a real issue. I realize the big 12 is a passing league, but if our front four gets pushed around it will be impossible to defend the good teams when they are running the ball at will.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Beyond the obvious QB concern, the defensive line could be a real issue. I realize the big 12 is a passing league, but if our front four gets pushed around it will be impossible to defend the good teams when they are running the ball at will.
The QB doesn't scare me at all. The D-line does.