CFP Scenarios

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 6, 2013
Yes, I'm a Big 12 homer and I want to see either OU or TCU get in and win it all. I also hate Bama and the whole SEC and want to see Bama get left out after their loss to Auburn today.

Scenario 1:
OU wins and they are in. Probably top 2 seed.
Wisconsin wins and they are in. Sure their schedule is iffy so far, but a win vs tOSU after an undefeated season is enough they can't be denied.
Clemson or Miami is in. 1 and only 1 team from the ACC gets in for certain. Which team wins probably doesn't affect anything else except seeding.
UG Wins. They are in. Have to be at 12-1. Bama is OUT

I really see no other outcomes with these four teams winning.

Scenario 2:
OU, Wisky, and Miami/Clemson win. They are in.
Auburn beats UG. UG is out. Does Auburn take the 4th spot or does the committee give it to Bama just like they took tOSU over PSU last year?

Mayhem Scenario 3:
Since ND lost tonight they are most definitely out in all possible scenarios. Stanford is as well, but if USC wins the PAC they at least get considered. Still after USC's ugly losses and ND's slide I think they might rank USC behind both OU and TCU if TCU won the Big 12, so we can probably assume USC is out already.

ACC is a lock
TCU wins.
tOSU wins.
Auburn wins

This becomes a nailbiter for the final 3 slots. Auburn probably gets in as they beat UG twice and Bama once. Then TCU vs tOSU and you still have Bama lurking at 11-1 and Wisky at 12-1. Wisky has to be out since their loss proves their schedule/record was a fluke. But does Bama get the 3rd spot leaving TCU and tOSU to battle for the 4th, or do both the Big 12 and B1G get in?
If its Bama +1 then lets look at TCU vs tOSU. Both are 2 loss champs. Each lost to Iowa/Iowa St. Bad loss. Each lost to OU. Its a draw so far. tOSU has a big win vs PSU and a win over Wisconsin which might be discounted since everyone expects it. TCU would have a big win vs OSU and a huge win over OU, who will likely be ranked #1 or #2 next weekend. Looking at common opponents, tOSU is 0-1 vs OU while TCU is 1-1. I think an unbiased comparison might actually have to give the edge to TCU here.
Then the committee would have to circle back and compare whether a 1 loss Bama or a 2 loss B1G champion was better or more deserving...

ostateim

3rd Doctor in Spies Like Us
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2008
Enid
Yes, I'm a Big 12 homer and I want to see either OU or TCU get in and win it all. I also hate Bama and the whole SEC and want to see Bama get left out after their loss to Auburn today.

Scenario 1:
OU wins and they are in. Probably top 2 seed.
Wisconsin wins and they are in. Sure their schedule is iffy so far, but a win vs tOSU after an undefeated season is enough they can't be denied.
Clemson or Miami is in. 1 and only 1 team from the ACC gets in for certain. Which team wins probably doesn't affect anything else except seeding.
UG Wins. They are in. Have to be at 12-1. Bama is OUT

I really see no other outcomes with these four teams winning.

Scenario 2:
OU, Wisky, and Miami/Clemson win. They are in.
Auburn beats UG. UG is out. Does Auburn take the 4th spot or does the committee give it to Bama just like they took tOSU over PSU last year?

Mayhem Scenario 3:
Since ND lost tonight they are most definitely out in all possible scenarios. Stanford is as well, but if USC wins the PAC they at least get considered. Still after USC's ugly losses and ND's slide I think they might rank USC behind both OU and TCU if TCU won the Big 12, so we can probably assume USC is out already.

ACC is a lock
TCU wins.
tOSU wins.
Auburn wins

This becomes a nailbiter for the final 3 slots. Auburn probably gets in as they beat UG twice and Bama once. Then TCU vs tOSU and you still have Bama lurking at 11-1 and Wisky at 12-1. Wisky has to be out since their loss proves their schedule/record was a fluke. But does Bama get the 3rd spot leaving TCU and tOSU to battle for the 4th, or do both the Big 12 and B1G get in?
If its Bama +1 then lets look at TCU vs tOSU. Both are 2 loss champs. Each lost to Iowa/Iowa St. Bad loss. Each lost to OU. Its a draw so far. tOSU has a big win vs PSU and a win over Wisconsin which might be discounted since everyone expects it. TCU would have a big win vs OSU and a huge win over OU, who will likely be ranked #1 or #2 next weekend. Looking at common opponents, tOSU is 0-1 vs OU while TCU is 1-1. I think an unbiased comparison might actually have to give the edge to TCU here.
Then the committee would have to circle back and compare whether a 1 loss Bama or a 2 loss B1G champion was better or more deserving...
Any OSU fan wanting OU to win it all isn't really an OSU fan. For Christ's sake man.

Dec 6, 2013
There's the regular season, then there is the playoffs/bowls. I'm not alone in OSU fans/grads who root for all Big 12 teams in their bowls. Plenty of us here were happy to see OU beat Bama several years ago.

That said - please get back to the original discussion, which is likely playoff scenarios. CFP is going to happen. Might as well discuss it.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Auburn-Ga winner, in
Miami - Clemson winner, in
Wisky wins, in
Wild card - uo with one loss vs a one loss Al

Best hope for uo is a uos win vs wisky
It’s possible if not probable that if wu wins and Auburn wins that the b12-2-2+2 is on the outside looking in, not fair but the cfpc likes defense (disguised as awful offense).

My hope, wisky wins to go undefeated and a one loss uo or al gets in over them, that’s the fastest path to an 8 team playoff.

Oct 12, 2006
IMO, the gooners competition in the Big 12 sucks compared to other power 5 teams and really don't deserve their ranking. The Big 10, SEC have several teams that would be hard to beat in any year. Heck, the goons slipped by some wins and we even scored 52 on them! #1 rank, get serious!

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I would like
IMO, the gooners competition in the Big 12 sucks compared to other power 5 teams and really don't deserve their ranking. The Big 10, SEC have several teams that would be hard to beat in any year. Heck, the goons slipped by some wins and we even scored 52 on them! #1 rank, get serious!
Who in the Big10? The second, arguably the best team lost to OU.... I agree I don’t like seeing OU number 1... but the sec and big 10 are down. I’d like to see Clemson 1.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
You realize you’re making an argument against OSU too, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
There's the regular season, then there is the playoffs/bowls. I'm not alone in OSU fans/grads who root for all Big 12 teams in their bowls. Plenty of us here were happy to see OU beat Bama several years ago.

That said - please get back to the original discussion, which is likely playoff scenarios. CFP is going to happen. Might as well discuss it.
I've got mixed feelings about a OU vs Bama type scenario.

I like to see the Big 12 win, but not so much OU. I think, even in these recent down years, the Big 12 is still good enough, that winning it goes a long ways. We have to recruit head to head against OU more than anybody, and I'd rather it not be any harder than it already is.

Besides their fans, the local sports radio, etc...

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The 2017 CFP will be.
ACC Champ
SEC Champ
Big12 Champ (if OU) if not, at-large.
Big10 Champ (if Wisc) if not, at-large
At-Large: Alabama, Ohio State

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Hate to break it to you guys but OU will have a very good chance to win a title this year. I don’t root for them ever but OU or Clemson will win it all.

Dec 6, 2013
Don't be shocked if two sec schools are in.
I wouldn't be totally shocked, but remember the likely scenario for 2 SEC teams to get in was before BOTH UG and Bama lost during the regular season. It was supposed to be an undefeated 1 vs 2 SEC title game where if it was "Close" the loser might still get in with one loss.

That certainly isn't what happened. UG lost and it wasn't that close. The Bama lost and it wasn't even as close as the score indicated. Now they have a 2 loss team and a one loss team in their championship game. Worse, Bama lost their last game of the regular season, leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth, and it wasn't the +1 championship game. Now they won't even play during championship week.

So that's three strikes against Bama:
1. They lost late in the year
2. They didn't look impressive in their loss
3. They don't get a chance to reverse impressions in a SEC title game.

Despite them being Bama, that is a lot of overcome. Nobody outside of Stillwater and Tuscaloosa thinks that Bama is automatically in the CFP right now. It's being talked about a lot. It could happen, but will probably require one of the mayhem scenarios where one or more conferences have a 2 loss champion.

ostateim

3rd Doctor in Spies Like Us
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2008
Enid
Any OSU fan wanting OU to win it all isn't really an OSU fan. For Christ's sake man.
Unbelievable that there are so many closet goons. You are probably the folks that show up to OSU games all year wearing orange until Bedlam rolls around. And then you put on your Crimson. OU winning it all does absolutely nothing to help us.