City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 18, 2010
I’m not going to begrudge any of your thoughts. I don’t have the perspective you do or the knowledge of any of the situation or individuals. While a ramp should not cost $100,000 and I don’t know what the details, it would not surprise me to see costs run up.
By the way, if you need anything built, please let me know. There might be a few run ups on the costs, but I know you'll understand. You're very understanding.

I look forward to doing business you. ;)

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
Is this the project where Mayor Will Joyce gave personal friend, and fellow dem politician Corey Williams, $100,000 of tax payer money, so he could open a bar? Seems like I remember reading about that in the Newspress.

If so, I guess its good to see Corey didn't use the money to buy a boat. Corey already owns a TON of property in town. He's not hurting for money. Why does he need a handout?

As a mayor/city council, can you just give as much taxpayer money as you want to your (rich) friends so they can open a business? Is that legal?

Respectfully,
-Local man who has had his property taxes increase the maximum amount possible under this Mayor/City Council, and is also paying extra for basic city utilities after this year's hike.
Here is a copy of the article to refresh your memory.
City Council approves TIF incentive for Stonecloud Brewing taproom | News | stwnewspress.com

Dec 9, 2013
Yes, the aging and disabled community really need this BAR. We should all stand and applaud such a noble enterprise.

I'm very familiar with ADA requirements. Unless you're building on a side of a mountain, or including an elevator system, there is no way it would approach $100k. You appear to be familiar with construction, so I'm not sure why you're pretending not to know this.

Accessibility is good. Who would disagree? In fact, it's required by law for any new or renovated publicly accessible establishment to have ADA access, since 1990. Guess who's responsible for the cost. Not the taxpayers. (Who didn't even get to vote on it) The owner of the business builds the required ADA access. But I think you know that.

Every other business in town has had to provide ADA access, paid for by the business owner. How come those folks didn't receive $100k for their projects? How come a millionaire politician, who just happens to be on the same political team as the mayor and council, is the only one to receive this kind of "taxpayer support"?
Quality accessibility and accessibility done right are good things. Unfortunately not all ADA buildouts are done this way. My point on the cost run up, again having no details of what is happening, is that someone might see that a ramp is needed and the cost is $X when the actual compliance called for multiple switchbacks due to degree slope along w an adjoining sidewalk of special width dimensions and multiple accessible parking spaces (due to # of space ratio requirements). I can easily see how you could go from a ramp and a handrail at $10,000 to all of the above at close to $75,000. In addition, my guess is the building was grandfathered before ADA but the renovation called for everything to be brought up to date which could mean door widths and thresholds had to be brought into compliance.

I acknowledged that I didn’t have your perspective on the situation or individuals but we do need more quality ADA venues in this town.

I don’t know your personal situation but hear me out on my vent.The City of Stillwater is not an ADA friendly community. Im not saying they don’t like people w mobility issues. I’m saying the infrastructure is not accessible when they think it is. As someone who lives it every day, we are limited on where we can dine and where we can shop. From parking spots, to sidewalks to ramps. There is so much wrong that it would take a while to detail. I’m not going to call out specific businesses bc the ones we frequent all try to be accommodating. That’s all we ask. We don’t ask for them to spend $ to accommodate us. If they can’t then they can’t and we go down the road so to speak.

And TIF $ aside, yes someone w mobility issues is very much looking forward to.new businesses even tap rooms opening. When your entertainment and socializing options are limited, you look for new places.

Jun 21, 2011
Stillwater
So the city gave their political ally Corey Williams $100,000 for a handicap ramp at the entry of his new bar. Let's pretend that's a normal thing, for a city to give money to an individual to put in a ramp...it isn't, but let's pretend it is. Do the people who approved this honestly believe it costs $100,000 to form up a concrete ramp and add a handrail?

Again, it looks very strange to see the Mayor give his millionaire personal friend $100,000 of taxpayer money to help him open a bar.

Is there a place where the public can see how these TIF moneys are distributed?
The city doesn't give away money for these projects. It's a loan that has to be repaid over 20-25 years (I believe), with interest. The property owners, such as Corey who is only a landlord for Stonecloud, are given a tax break on the property improvements over that time. The property tax increase that would normally occur with the improvements is used to repay that loan and fund future projects.

The city website has tons of info on the TIF District you should check out. Also watch some of the city council meetings available on YouTube, changed my mind on the "good ole boys" mentality that seems to run through Stillwater.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
The city doesn't give away money for these projects. It's a loan that has to be repaid over 20-25 years (I believe), with interest. The property owners, such as Corey who is only a landlord for Stonecloud, are given a tax break on the property improvements over that time. The property tax increase that would normally occur with the improvements is used to repay that loan and fund future projects.

The city website has tons of info on the TIF District you should check out. Also watch some of the city council meetings available on YouTube, changed my mind on the "good ole boys" mentality that seems to run through Stillwater.
Why ruin a good conspiracy with facts?:)

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Anywho, I went to the grand opening at Stonecloud yesterday. Great beer and one of the best tap rooms in the state. It’s a wonderful addition to downtown.

By the way, I drove by Iron Monk afterwards and it was also packed.
Yuck, at Stone Cloud, their Astro Dog was awful. But then I admit to not having much taste for craft beer, including IPA varieties, like the Husband St. IPA at Iron Monk. I'll give Iron Monk's Stilly Wheat personal credit for being good beer, though. Their Nine isn't too bad. But I'll never forget trying to drink their Payne County IPA for the first time. It was so awful that I could smell it going down, but I somehow managed to finish it.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
Yuck, at Stone Cloud, their Astro Dog was awful. But then I admit to not having much taste for craft beer, including IPA varieties, like the Husband St. IPA at Iron Monk. I'll give Iron Monk's Stilly Wheat personal credit for being good beer, though. Their Nine isn't too bad. But I'll never forget trying to drink their Payne County IPA for the first time. It was so awful that I could smell it going down, but I somehow managed to finish it.
Craft beer hater reviews craft beer. Interesting concept.

I fancy myself as a craft beer connoisseur. Iron Monk and Stonecloud are each at the upper echelon of quality breweries in the state. They are very professional in their brewing processes and are respected around the region.

If you don’t like craft beer, I would recommend sticking with Iron Monk’s Stilly Wheat or Pilsner and Stonecloud’s Lite or Neon Sunshine, respectively.

Aug 21, 2021
Stillwater
you should probably just stick with the gas station beer

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Is this the project where Mayor Will Joyce gave personal friend, and fellow dem politician Corey Williams, $100,000 of tax payer money, so he could open a bar? Seems like I remember reading about that in the Newspress.

If so, I guess its good to see Corey didn't use the money to buy a boat. Corey already owns a TON of property in town. He's not hurting for money. Why does he need a handout?

As a mayor/city council, can you just give as much taxpayer money as you want to your (rich) friends so they can open a business? Is that legal?

Respectfully,
-Local man who has had his property taxes increase the maximum amount possible under this Mayor/City Council, and is also paying extra for basic city utilities after this year's hike.
But does the beer taste like prunes?