Coach and players of the year honors

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Lots of cowboys get honors from the big 12 including big 12 coach of the year for Gundy and newcomer of the year for Oliver and surprisingly and wonderful Sanders for first team QB…many others. My personal opinion is that these honors should wait until after the championship game…

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
If you look at the list, its a lot of parity there. Used to be dominated by the Big12 champ (or #2), and maybe it is a little bit this year with OSU/BU, but seems like pretty distributed this year.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Lots of cowboys get honors from the big 12 including big 12 coach of the year for Gundy and newcomer of the year for Oliver and surprisingly and wonderful Sanders for first team QB…many others. My personal opinion is that these honors should wait until after the championship game…
Not fair to give two teams' players an extra game to rack stats and impress. Regular season is correct.
But maybe vote now and not announce until after the game- I'm in on that.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Anybody having their serving of Sanders Crow today . . .. ?
No one needs to eat crow on Sanders. Sanders was making way too many mistakes (especially for a third year starter). To his credit he's cleaned that up the 2nd half of this season. But that should be expected not a "we told you so" because it actually happened after a couple years of it.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
Warren was Newcomer of the Year.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Not fair to give two teams' players an extra game to rack stats and impress. Regular season is correct.
But maybe vote now and not announce until after the game- I'm in on that.
that makes sense...didn't think of it that way.

Gundy on his coaches show today says the award is nice but it's a staff award...gave all the credit to "everyone in the building."

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
No one needs to eat crow on Sanders. Sanders was making way too many mistakes (especially for a third year starter). To his credit he's cleaned that up the 2nd half of this season. But that should be expected not a "we told you so" because it actually happened after a couple years of it.
I think all those that were crowing for Shane need to eat the crow . . .stick with SS and we got to the Championship. Nuff said.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I think all those that were crowing for Shane need to eat the crow . . .stick with SS and we got to the Championship. Nuff said.
In all fairness.

The first 5 games SS had 6 TD passes and 5 Interceptions. I don't have the numbers on fumbles but there was an issue there as well.

The next 6 games SS has 10 TD passes and 3 interceptions. Fumble issues have been greatly reduced as well.

So criticism of SS early in the season was warranted, he needed to correct that issue. We wouldn't be 11-1 today if the TD/Interception ratio remained 6:5 as it was early in the season.

As I mentioned to SS credit he's played really well these last 6 games.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
If we win the CCG and go to the CFP - does Gundy win national coach of the year? Considering the AP didn't have us in the top 25 preseason, I would think he would be a prime candidate. Either the AP voters are a lot of idiots or he did a great coaching job; I'm thinking some of both.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
In all fairness.

The first 5 games SS had 6 TD passes and 5 Interceptions. I don't have the numbers on fumbles but there was an issue there as well.

The next 6 games SS has 10 TD passes and 3 interceptions. Fumble issues have been greatly reduced as well.

So criticism of SS early in the season was warranted, he needed to correct that issue. We wouldn't be 11-1 today if the TD/Interception ratio remained 6:5 as it was early in the season.

Yes and no. There are lies, ?@#^ lies, and statistics. Context can’t be ignored. Our o-line was a sieve during those games and Sanders was running for his life. Once he got decent protection, his numbers improved. Calling for Shane during those games was shortsighted, because he isn’t nearly as mobile as Sanders and would have been a sack magnet.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'll gladly eat some crow as Spenser has really improved all year...I think it was the TCU game where I really noticed...He was running people over for C*rist sake...He also figued out how to play within himself with far less "hero ball" plays that end up backfiring. SS became a MAN this year and took control of the team...I'm so happy for him and the team. I think he got first team as much because of plays he chose not to make as for plays he did...if that makes sense. MUCH improved over the course of the year and his run on the option pretty much saved Bedlam.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
In all fairness.

^^^BINGO....It also helped he had an elite defense and a good run game to lean on, which took a ton off his plate. Him becoming a game manager, and not trying to do too much is what this team needed, and he done a heck of a job managing the offense and not forcing the issue.