Coach Kenny

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
To say last years ou team was not really good is silly. Really silly..
They were average, the only thing not average was Williams. We were faster and better at just about every position. I'm not denigrating the football win it was good, but don't denigrate the softball win in the Big XII finals it was exceptional.

CowboyVenus

An orange light stuck in the crimson darkness
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2010
Norman, OK
This discussion with Gundy is absolutely moronic. What Kenny G has done would be similar to when Les Miles came in but if Miles was sending us to BCS games annually starting in his fourth year and without Boone's money coming in. This conversation isn't even apples to oranges when comparing Kenny G to Mike Gundy. It is like tryin to compare apples to a damn turkey burger.

Softball as all other sports besides basketball will always be supported by football. What Gundy has done makes it possible for these sports to even exist. Gundy has earned every dime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In short, no. Gundy is the best football coach OSU has had (not saying much), but he has not earned every dime. It does not make good financial sense for him to be the highest paid coach in the Big 12 when 1) he doesn't win titles or get in the playoffs 2) Gundy is not leaving for another school. Coach Gajewski, however, is a hot commodity and there are plenty of schools that would want him. He's not in the twilight of his career like Gundy and he has no natural allegiance to OSU.

I wouldn't try to compare softball and football salaries--that's ridiculous. But I would say that it's clear that Gajewski's record is far more impressive than Gundy's. Three straight trips to the WCWS (top 8 finish) and beating OU for a conference title (And OU softball is more akin to Alabama football than OU football). Gundy's been the coach for 18 years and has never come close to that kind of success.

Oct 6, 2012
The direction of this thread reminds me of when my kids were little and they would argue about the dumbest things. Please stop.

"No, my fart smells more"

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2006
Round Rock, Tx
They were average, the only thing not average was Williams. We were faster and better at just about every position. I'm not denigrating the football win it was good, but don't denigrate the softball win in the Big XII finals it was exceptional.
This so reminds me of those fans who shout "overrated" when they beat a good team. Instead of giving credit to their team who beat a good team, they down grade the team they beat. anyway I totally disagree with you, and will leave it at that. Bottom line is OSU will never ever beat a good ou team because that is just not possible. And this argument is purely about football, because it has a life that is all on it's own.

Last edited:

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
I’m sure it works in the negative. However, the exposure the university gets from the well rated games on ESPN certainly puts the program as profitable in the grand scheme.
I‘m sure it is. Just curious about how much. With the exposure and when we get a new stadium…softball should be very close to break even. It’s just a guess on my part

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
This is probably a pretty good debate. Neither has been successful against OU but as scary as it sounds OU softball is much more dominate than OU football. Other than OU I would bet (without looking) KG’s record against the top 10 and top 20 is far better than Gundy’s with crap for facilities. KG has one conf tourney ring, Gundy 0. WCWS’s are probably close to being equal to a BCS play off. KG has three in a row, Gundy hasn’t sniffed one.
I’m not hating on MG, he’s been great for OSU, but his high level achievements are a bit lacking. Last year was arguably his best and that was primarily due to the DC’s efforts.
OU started their domination just a few years after hiring Gasso as HC. It wasn’t until 2004 or ‘05 that OU surpass OSU in all time series.

Before then, Coach Sandy Fisher along with Michele Smith, Nancy Teehee and many others OSU Softball greats dominated OU.

IMO to think OSU should be the dominate force in softball all these years. But the powers that be, sit on their hands while schools like OU start being aggressive. That to go with all sports.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
This so reminds me of those fans who shout "overrated" when they beat a good team. Instead of giving credit to their team who beat a good team, they down grade the team they beat. anyway I totally disagree with you, and will leave it at that. Bottom line is OSU will never ever beat a good ou team because that is just not possible. And this argument is purely about football, because it has a life that is all on it's own.
There's a second verse to this song. Football should beat them again this year because we are better at every position. If Gundy gets the W it's because he was supposed to. I will celebrate the win but it is not unexpected.

Let's follow that up with saying Coach Kenny has the formula to beat the women of goon and we are comparable if we play ball. However, the women of goon are overwhelming favorites to win it all so if Coach Kenny pulls this off it is a big deal. Patty doesn't want to see Kenny in the other dugout in an elimination game.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
OU started their domination just a few years after hiring Gasso as HC. It wasn’t until 2004 or ‘05 that OU surpass OSU in all time series.

Before then, Coach Sandy Fisher along with Michele Smith, Nancy Teehee and many others OSU Softball greats dominated OU.

IMO to think OSU should be the dominate force in softball all these years. But the powers that be, sit on their hands while schools like OU start being aggressive. That to go with all sports.
To his credit, Terry Don Phillips saw the football wave coming as clear as day and knew we had to fix that. But he completely missed the changes that were starting to happen at the same time with regard to women's sports, and it cost us at least a generation of fans and progress in that area.

I think there's at least some recognition now that we can't be passive about anything anymore, as used to be the OSU way. I just hope we didn't realize it right as the chance to use that knowledge disappears because of our conference affiliation.