Colorado PAUSE act

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
There is no doubt the true reason this is being pushed in Colorado. If it passes how many other states will try to follow? I really think this is why 777 was so important a few years ago. I know the narrative was hijacked by the animal rights groups to make it appear to only be benefiting corporate farms but it would have fought off any kind of ridiculous law like this.

Under this law cattle under the age of 5 will not be able to be slaughtered. No AI and you cannot even preg check cows.

PAUSE: Ballot initiative to criminalize husbandry practices would cost consumers, limit food availability

Rachel GabelMarch 5, 2021
A ballot initiative proposed, currently known as Protect Animals from Unnecessary Suffering and Exploitation (PAUSE), is awaiting an appearance before the title board after being filed with the Colorado Secretary of State. Proponents Alexander Sage of Broomfield, and Brent Johannes of Boulder, penned the proposed changes to the criminal cruelty to animal statutes. As written, the ballot initiative would include livestock and would criminalize some actions that are currently accepted animal husbandry practices.

In the comment and review hearing, proponents said the goal of the initiative is to raise the quality of life of all domesticated animals in the state by amending the statutes to ensure animals are ”treated with more dignity” by closing what they called a “loophole in the definition of a sexual act with an animal” and requiring livestock to reach 25 percent of the natural lifespan prior to slaughter.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
There is no doubt the true reason this is being pushed in Colorado. If it passes how many other states will try to follow? I really think this is why 777 was so important a few years ago. I know the narrative was hijacked by the animal rights groups to make it appear to only be benefiting corporate farms but it would have fought off any kind of ridiculous law like this.

Under this law cattle under the age of 5 will not be able to be slaughtered. No AI and you cannot even preg check cows.

PAUSE: Ballot initiative to criminalize husbandry practices would cost consumers, limit food availability

Rachel GabelMarch 5, 2021
A ballot initiative proposed, currently known as Protect Animals from Unnecessary Suffering and Exploitation (PAUSE), is awaiting an appearance before the title board after being filed with the Colorado Secretary of State. Proponents Alexander Sage of Broomfield, and Brent Johannes of Boulder, penned the proposed changes to the criminal cruelty to animal statutes. As written, the ballot initiative would include livestock and would criminalize some actions that are currently accepted animal husbandry practices.

In the comment and review hearing, proponents said the goal of the initiative is to raise the quality of life of all domesticated animals in the state by amending the statutes to ensure animals are ”treated with more dignity” by closing what they called a “loophole in the definition of a sexual act with an animal” and requiring livestock to reach 25 percent of the natural lifespan prior to slaughter.
Tell them feedlot cattle identify as 5 years old.

Animal rights activitists are stupid and this has no chance of passing. Plus the state said they can't collect signatures to get it on the ballot due to the pandemic. I'm guessing their governors saw how well his meatless day thing went and hopes this goes away quietly.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I hope you’re right but do not share that much optimism. There are enough crazies in Boulder and Denver to get this passed.
I know a guy here in Oklahoma who markets farm to table grass fed beef and his largest market is Denver. Those housewives eat it up.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
This may be the most laughable piece of proposed legislation I’ve ever seen in my entire life.

Smurfing hilarious! :lol::lol::lol:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
This may be the most laughable piece of proposed legislation I’ve ever seen in my entire life.

Smurfing hilarious! :lol::lol::lol:
It's not legislation. It's a ballot initiative that isn't going to get enough signatures to get there.

It's PETA being PETA and thinking something like this lines their pockets for true believers. It also gets the other side riled up, but in this instance the "other side" is the 93-95% of Americans who aren't vegetarian and for the most part scoff at people who like well done steak. So aside from a cash grab I don't see what the endgame is here.

And don't get me wrong. Say they try to pull thus bs in Rhode Island. It's meaningless there but has the potential to become a legal precident and therefore a potential problem. Animal rights groups tried it in the past with pigs and CAFO regulations but the science was really up for debate over their proposal and their soft targets weren't nearly as soft as they thought.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
The bill would also make spaying and neutering pets illegal so it is going to bring even more people against it than are just in agriculture.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The boys in CO have to be stressed beyond belief. Between this foolishness and the Biden 30-30 plan coming in the next few weeks running cattle in CO is looking rougher and rougher.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I read somewhere it only takes 125,000 signatures to get it on the ballot. There’s enough idiots probably in Boulder alone to get it done.
I would love to hear the opinions on abortion from anybody signing this petition.
Boulder has a population of 105, 673 so I guarantee they don't have enough people to get it on the ballot.

You are way overthinking this. Does Colorado have enough vegans or leftists who can get fooled into signing a ballot initiative? Yeah but so do 40 other states because it's still a pretty low threshold and if you can find enough people who think the election was stolen or vaccines give people 5G or whatever crazy right wing bs is going on now I'm sure you can find enough left wing loonies who think they can trick normal people into not eating meat.

It's still questionable if it makes the ballot. Like I said earlier the Democrat governor tried to do a meatless day and it flew like a rock so he really doesn't want this to gain traction. The state said they can't collect signatures for the ballot initiative due to the virus so this one is DOA. Even if it wasn't it has no chance. This is Colorado we are talking about. They have a lot of feedlots and half the big city population grew up in the country but moved to large front range cities because they had jobs.

But if it magically comes to a vote, it becomes a problem for the beef industry but not a major one. A couple of commercials about how this leads us to a vegan lifestyle so the 95% of the population that likes meat says nah and that is that

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Boulder has a population of 105, 673 so I guarantee they don't have enough people to get it on the ballot.

You are way overthinking this. Does Colorado have enough vegans or leftists who can get fooled into signing a ballot initiative? Yeah but so do 40 other states because it's still a pretty low threshold and if you can find enough people who think the election was stolen or vaccines give people 5G or whatever crazy right wing bs is going on now I'm sure you can find enough left wing loonies who think they can trick normal people into not eating meat.

It's still questionable if it makes the ballot. Like I said earlier the Democrat governor tried to do a meatless day and it flew like a rock so he really doesn't want this to gain traction. The state said they can't collect signatures for the ballot initiative due to the virus so this one is DOA. Even if it wasn't it has no chance. This is Colorado we are talking about. They have a lot of feedlots and half the big city population grew up in the country but moved to large front range cities because they had jobs.

But if it magically comes to a vote, it becomes a problem for the beef industry but not a major one. A couple of commercials about how this leads us to a vegan lifestyle so the 95% of the population that likes meat says nah and that is that
We said the same thing about Right to Farm passing until they found an idiot with five cows to act like a rancher and tell the awful dangers of 'corporate' farming, then you have the Switzers claiming its a corporate puppy mill law. People disconnected from their food supply don't have lots to work except for really slick commercials.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You don't like guns so you want to ban guns but can't push though legislation that does poorly in opinion polls? Make it really expensive with ammo regulations.

You don't like using fossil fuels so you want to ban fossil fuels but can't push though legislation that does poorly in opinion polls?
Make it really expensive with taxes and regulations.

You are a vegan and you want to ban eating meat but can't push though legislation that does poorly in opinion polls?
Make it really expensive with taxes and regulations.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
*chiming in from Boulder*

Don't underestimate these nitwits and their ability to get stuff like this done in Colorado. We just passed a measure to reintroduce wolves last November, and it was driven strictly by a pro-wolf group from, you guessed it-Denver, who have absolutely zero stake in the game. Don't want your livestock threatened by wolves? Tough! We're about things that make us 'feel' better here.

Governor Polis? Please, he'll use the majority hammer to ram stuff through, because he knows best. Look no further than Prop 112-a major blow to the oil & gas industry in CO. In the same election where Polis became Governor, people of the state overwhelmingly rejected Prop 112 to the tune of 68% against it. Guess what happened in January once Polis was in office and had the house & senate. They rammed it through, because after all, they know better than 7 out of 10 people who voted against it.

Sep 3, 2010

Don't underestimate these nitwits and their ability to get stuff like this done in Colorado. We just passed a measure to reintroduce wolves last November, and it was driven strictly by a pro-wolf group from, you guessed it-Denver, who have absolutely zero stake in the game. Don't want your livestock threatened by wolves? Tough! We're about things that make us 'feel' better here.

Governor Polis? Please, he'll use the majority hammer to ram stuff through, because he knows best. Look no further than Prop 112-a major blow to the oil & gas industry in CO. In the same election where Polis became Governor, people of the state overwhelmingly rejected Prop 112 to the tune of 68% against it. Guess what happened in January once Polis was in office and had the house & senate. They rammed it through, because after all, they know better than 7 out of 10 people who voted against it.
Is the Governor vegan? I’ve been told that his husband is a radical vegan and the one who pushed for the “meatless” fiasco.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

Then they should have re-introduced the Wolves inside the city limits? Not somebody else's yard.