Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 22, 2011
What I have learned during this pandemic is that very few people understand risk, and most people would rather virtue signal than make things better. As a society we have handled this thing about as poorly as possible.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Other than pre-existing medical conditions or maybe religious grounds that prevent receiving the vaccine, what seems to be the primary reasons people in the U.S. still aren't willing to get it? Still uncertain what it will do to them? Conspiracy theorist? (I have a sister-in-law in this category)

Dec 9, 2013
Other than pre-existing medical conditions or maybe religious grounds that prevent receiving the vaccine, what seems to be the primary reasons people in the U.S. still aren't willing to get it? Still uncertain what it will do to them? Conspiracy theorist? (I have a sister-in-law in this category)
I can’t find it but read a good article the other day that spoke to this and how it shows that the choice to not get the shot was primarily driven by 2 camps. The first camp identified as evangelical and conservative. They weren’t getting vaccinated due to distrust in the process and belief that the virus was a hoax (as I type this Gov of Arkansas is saying the exact same thing).

The other camp was made up of people who were more likely to be left voting This was further broken down into young people who believed the virus wouldn’t make them sick and POC who didn’t trust the process.

Nov 23, 2010
I think there is/was a lack of urgency for a lot of people. That's why you see vaccinations ticking back up now that cases are rising. The vaccine was hard to get, and then when it was easy to get there was no urgency because cases had fallen so much. Now people who aren't especially resistant figure they better get down to Walgreens.

Then yes, a fear about unknown long term effects. I hope that messaging can reach this group, but our messengers have all done a lot of damage to themselves.

And then I think a group that is just anti everything Covid related. This is definitely the loudest group, but I'm not sure how big it actually is.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
31 million cases and counting in the US. If 1% of those end up with million dollar hospital bills that's $310 trillion. Makes those $2T stimulus packages look like chump change. Then there's the lost productivity from all those people lingering in a hospital for a month and then dying anyway - that alone would tank the economy worse than anything else in our history. Let's say 1% don't end up with million dollar bills, but look at smaller percentages:

0.1% = $31T
0.01% = $3.1T

If 1/100th of a percent has of the 31 M has a million dollar hospital bill then we approach $4T. By preventing the million dollar hospital bills we've paid for the 2 x $2T stimulus packages.

Brings the phrase "penny-wise and pound foolish" to mind.
Rx any update with the math above? There are multiple reasons on this thread why @gogetumpoke and @OSUgradndad85 today questioned your credibility.
What were we talking about? Costs? So I messed up the math. The point that we can't afford endless million dollar hospital bills that people can't pay is still a valid one. On the science, I am not worried about losing credibility to Mr. 5 yard mask penalty and Mr. Wear a race car helmet in a 20 mph zone. Again, I am not losing credibility to anyone that matters.

Once again you are white knighting antivaxx, antimask. You sure you're "100% provaccination"?

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Well, I'm up to 6 family members with it now. All unvaccinated. 1 is on a vent in the hospital, 2 are on their second trip to the ER, and 3 are at home.

And one of the guys I work with had to call his wife an ambulance and she was put in the hospital with a Blood Ox of 70 by the time they got her there. She is now in the hospital but not on a Vent. I think she was actually vaxxed but not 100% sure on that. She was doing fine with it until day 8 and then it all went downhill very fast.

One common thing I've had every one of them report is....person standing up to go somewhere, will start coughing so hard they will lack oxygen and then pass out and fall down. This has happened to 4 of the people I've mentioned in this thread.

One family member broke their hip when they fell trying to go to the restroom and passed out due to lack of oxygen. They told her she needs to be in the hospital for the broken hip, but they had no room to admit her or worry about it right now and said it would have to wait.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I refer to the joker who assumed the role after Trump orchestrated getting the vaccines ready in a timeframe no liberal thought even remotely possible.
Pretty sure the 90+% of the people who are screaming that the vaccines do not work OR that they will NOT take one are NOT liberals

I love the "Look what Trump did with the vaccine!!!" but fail to acknowledge that the vast majority of the people who won't take the Trump vaccine are people who support or voted for Trump.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
There was discussion on this board about this yesterday. Interesting Opinion piece from a Doctor here on vaxx mandates for health care workers
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1423279092200214535

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Well I thought it was 6 in my family who had COVID..turns out it was 7.

My 44yr old step nephew passed away last night due to COVID-19. Unvaxxed and went from fine to dead in 2 days after first positive test

Get the Vaxx people. do not put it off...I am begging anyone that will listen. This stuff is so damn destructive

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Pretty sure the 90+% of the people who are screaming that the vaccines do not work OR that they will NOT take one are NOT liberals

I love the "Look what Trump did with the vaccine!!!" but fail to acknowledge that the vast majority of the people who won't take the Trump vaccine are people who support or voted for Trump.
I won't directly say that is incorrect, but show me the official statistics on that, together with the race of said "anti-vaccer". And while you're at it, please show me in my previous comment where I stated "the vast majority" of people who will NOT receive the vaccine are liberals. I didn't even reference the subject of who will take it and who won't.

Last edited:

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
KFF COVID-19 Vaccine Monitor: July 2021

• Unvaccinated adults, especially those who say they will “definitely not” get a vaccine, are much less worried about the coronavirus, the Delta variant, and have less confidence in the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines compared to those who are vaccinated. Three-fourths of unvaccinated adults, including nine in ten of those who say they will “definitely not” get the vaccine, say they are “not worried” about getting seriously sick from the virus, less than half say they are worried about the Delta variant worsening the pandemic, more than half (including 75% of “definitely not”) say getting vaccinated is a bigger risk to their health than getting infected with coronavirus, and a quarter (just one in ten of “definitely not”) say the vaccines are effective at keeping vaccinated people from dying from COVID-19 or getting seriously ill.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA

Young people and minorities also have low vaccinated rates and I doubt those are right wingers. Anti-vaxxers run the political, racial, and age gamut.