Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
tidbits from a usnews.com story from July 23, 2021...

YouGov, another polling operation, asked a similar question this month about the COVID vaccine. Nearly a third (32%) of Republicans believe the vaccine is a tool for the government to implant microchips, compared to 14% of Democrats and 18% of independents who ascribe to the bizarre (and dangerous) theory. About two-thirds (65%) of Democrats and less than a third (32%) of Republicans believe the theory is "definitely false."

The nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation found that 75% of Democrats have already been vaccinated; just 41% of Republicans said the same.

a recent Vanderbilt University poll showing a deep partisan divide on vaccines and the danger of the pandemic. That survey found that 74% of Republicans agreed with the statement that the pandemic "is largely over and things should go back to the way they were," while 14% of Democrats agreed.

The YouGov poll, in fact, found that Republicans are far more likely to trust Trump's medical advice (62% do) than that of Fauci (21% of Republicans trust the veteran doctor's guidance on medical matters).

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Young people and minorities also have low vaccinated rates and I doubt those are right wingers. Anti-vaxxers run the political, racial, and age gamut.
interesting numbers:

The nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation found that 75% of Democrats have already been vaccinated; just 41% of Republicans said the same.

The largest declines in vaccine hesitancy were observed among those ages 18-24 (26% inJanuary 2021 to 18% in March 2021) and Blacks (34% in January 2021 to 18% in March2021).

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
tidbits from a usnews.com story from July 23, 2021...

YouGov, another polling operation, asked a similar question this month about the COVID vaccine. Nearly a third (32%) of Republicans believe the vaccine is a tool for the government to implant microchips, compared to 14% of Democrats and 18% of independents who ascribe to the bizarre (and dangerous) theory. About two-thirds (65%) of Democrats and less than a third (32%) of Republicans believe the theory is "definitely false."

a recent Vanderbilt University poll showing a deep partisan divide on vaccines and the danger of the pandemic. That survey found that 74% of Republicans agreed with the statement that the pandemic "is largely over and things should go back to the way they were," while 14% of Democrats agreed.

The YouGov poll, in fact, found that Republicans are far more likely to trust Trump's medical advice (62% do) than that of Fauci (21% of Republicans trust the veteran doctor's guidance on medical matters).
WHAT!!!??!? you mean there is a deep political divide on who will and who will not take the vaccine! but but I was told that Dems wouldn't take it cause Trump.

come on people own the truth. Trump wasn't good for convincing Republicans to take the vax he actually did more for the GOP members to oppose getting the vax then he did convincing them to take it. Fauci hasn't been good for the vax because his messaging about it is woefully horrible.

Now we have State Gov's rallying behind their political agendas and allow that to influence and drive Health related legislation in their state.....which is 100% STUPID AND IGNORANT. Dem Gov trying to lock everything up and GOP Gov trying to open everything and outlaw PPE legislation.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
WHAT!!!??!? you mean there is a deep political divide on who will and who will not take the vaccine! but but I was told that Dems wouldn't take it cause Trump.

come on people own the truth. Trump wasn't good for convincing Republicans to take the vax he actually did more for the GOP members to oppose getting the vax then he did convincing them to take it. Fauci hasn't been good for the vax because his messaging about it is woefully horrible.

Now we have State Gov's rallying behind their political agendas and allow that to influence and drive Health related legislation in their state.....which is 100% STUPID AND IGNORANT. Dem Gov trying to lock everything up and GOP Gov trying to open everything and outlaw PPE legislation.
So where are the reliable statistics you are so proudly relying on that state "the vast majority" of those not vaccinated voted for Trump?

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Do the vaccines work? Why hell yes, they are 95% effective. But you can still get Covid and, it turns out, you can still spread it and kill grandma so for the love of all that is good and holy strap on that designer face mask after you get that second jab because that will make us all feel better. Like I stated earlier, it appears that the vaccine will keep you from getting deathly ill but they’ve lied to us about so much of this that honestly I don’t know what to believe at this point. The one thing that I’m convinced would help is to get the border shut down. But alas, it is much more important to shame a legal citizen, who may very well have natural immunity from the virus itself, into taking the jab than it is to stop hundreds of thousands of undocumented and unvaccinated immigrants from flooding our borders. If you don’t see the border as a Covid issue then we can’t be friends. Sadly, this administration has essentially invited them here and are, as we speak, busy distributing them all across this beautiful country of ours. Pretty hard for me to believe that they are serious about ending this pandemic.
There it is. I love it so much. "They lied to us".

Your paranoia is delicious and would be downright hilarious if it wasn't such a serious situation.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
So where are the reliable statistics you are so proudly relying on that state "the vast majority" of those not vaccinated voted for Trump?
From June, but I'd suspect the trend still holds. 67% of the "definitely never getting it" group identify as Republicans. About half of those who are unvaccinated are Republicans vs 29% of unvaccinated people who identify as democrats. But, the unvaccinated people who aren't Republicans are much more likely to say they will "wait and see".

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-cov...-vaccine-monitor-profile-of-the-unvaccinated/

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
From June, but I'd suspect the trend still holds. 67% of the "definitely never getting it" group identify as Republicans. About half of those who are unvaccinated are Republicans vs 29% of unvaccinated people who identify as democrats. But, the unvaccinated people who aren't Republicans are much more likely to say they will "wait and see".

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-cov...-vaccine-monitor-profile-of-the-unvaccinated/
It's kind of fascinating that a forum full of MAGA anti-vaxxers would question that a majority of anti-vaxxers are MAGA.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Other than pre-existing medical conditions or maybe religious grounds that prevent receiving the vaccine, what seems to be the primary reasons people in the U.S. still aren't willing to get it? Still uncertain what it will do to them? Conspiracy theorist? (I have a sister-in-law in this category)
I break them into three categories:

The anti-vaxxers who are against western medicine in general. I call these people 'the crazies'. They are usually health nuts and believe in homeopathic cures for cancer and the like. They are, and I want to be clear, unreachable. There is no amount of noodling or convincing that will work. They are almost completely comprised of coastal liberals and suburban upper class women. Which is surprising, because they have some overlap with the next group...

The conspiracy nuts. They aren't particularly health conscious, will get some vaccines and will even see a regular doctor if something bad enough happens to them. But they are the flat-earthers. The "government is putting listening devices in the cheese!" people. Usually anti-government far right politically. They suffer from severe Dunning-Kruger where they consider themselves to be 'special' or have 'inside information'. But they can be incentivized towards the vaccine if enough people in their sphere of operating get it or if enough time passes without massive death from vaccine poisoning happens. It's a sliding scale here where some will get it a year after approval, others two years, and so on. So the first two groups are ideological, but the last is circumstantial.

Uneducated (usually minority) inner city dwellers. People think this means northern cities, but it's southern cities too. Birmingham, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta. There is low education on the vaccine, low education in general in this group. They don't hate the government per se - they just don't think this is a big deal. There are other concerns in life and getting the vaccine isn't one of them. They would rather just go about their lives and see no incentive to getting vaxxed. The good news is that this group can be swayed much easier than groups one and two. They are uneducated, not stupid. With some incentive and cultural pushes from on-high influencers you could see some good movement here (and we have).

So that's my three groups. I'd say of all these people that group three is the largest at around 60% of the holdouts. Group two is next at around 30%. The last group is group one at 10%. Thank god they are the smallest because they ain't budging.

BTW, this is completely unscientific and based on @UrbanCowboy1 gut feelings.

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Back over 100K NEW cases per day. At one point this was down to almost 30k per day

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1423356882836606978
We were down to less than 15K/day.

So this is the spike - if we follow other countries spikes this will get worse for the next couple of weeks and then shoot down. Fingers crossed we could end this by EOM. Hold fast, everyone.

Dec 9, 2013
There it is. I love it so much. "They lied to us".

Your paranoia is delicious and would be downright hilarious if it wasn't such a serious situation.
I see it kinda like our offense. A team comes out and says they are going to take away the sidelines and pull the safeties down. Game plan should be to utilize the middle of the field to open things up. We come out throwing over the middle w success which forces their corners to use inside leverage and to move their safeties back. Should we still just keep throwing deep or over the middle? No we start throwing outside and running the ball. If the defense adjusts so do we.

This was a virus unseen until late 2019. It is not a direct line virus but instead mutates and evolves. What worked in the 1st half isn’t gonna work in the 2nd. Would you rather they completely ignore the data and not make any adjustments or say they were wrong? Even the R Governor of Arkansas is changing his way of thinking. These are good things and show at least some leadership.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Other than pre-existing medical conditions or maybe religious grounds that prevent receiving the vaccine, what seems to be the primary reasons people in the U.S. still aren't willing to get it? Still uncertain what it will do to them? Conspiracy theorist? (I have a sister-in-law in this category)
I break them into three categories:

The anti-vaxxers who are against western medicine in general. I call these people 'the crazies'. They are usually health nuts and believe in homeopathic cures for cancer and the like. They are, and I want to be clear, unreachable. There is no amount of noodling or convincing that will work. They are almost completely comprised of coastal liberals and suburban upper class women. Which is surprising, because they have some overlap with the next group...

The conspiracy nuts. They aren't particularly health conscious, will get some vaccines and will even see a regular doctor if something bad enough happens to them. But they are the flat-earthers. The "government is putting listening devices in the cheese!" people. Usually anti-government far right politically. They suffer from severe Dunning-Kruger where they consider themselves to be 'special' or have 'inside information'. But they can be incentivized towards the vaccine if enough people in their sphere of operating get it or if enough time passes without massive death from vaccine poisoning happens. It's a sliding scale here where some will get it a year after approval, others two years, and so on. So the first two groups are ideological, but the last is circumstantial.

Uneducated (usually minority) inner city dwellers. People think this means northern cities, but it's southern cities too. Birmingham, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta. There is low education on the vaccine, low education in general in this group. They don't hate the government per se - they just don't think this is a big deal. There are other concerns in life and getting the vaccine isn't one of them. They would rather just go about their lives and see no incentive to getting vaxxed. The good news is that this group can be swayed much easier than groups one and two. They are uneducated, not stupid. With some incentive and cultural pushes from on-high influencers you could see some good movement here (and we have).

So that's my three groups. I'd say of all these people that group three is the largest at around 60% of the holdouts. Group two is next at around 30%. The last group is group one at 10%. Thank god they are the smallest because they ain't budging.

BTW, this is completely unscientific and based on @UrbanCowboy1 gut feelings.
You are absolutely correct about the Whole Foods/anti-vaxxers connection, that has been proven. That likely makes up the majority of the Dems that haven't been vaccinated. However, a majority of a minority is a smaller minority.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
It's kind of fascinating that a forum full of MAGA anti-vaxxers would question that a majority of anti-vaxxers are MAGA.

Since you used my quote, how about now sharing with the audience Professor Math Expert how you concluded I am a "MAGA anti-vaxxer".
How cute, once again you think I am talking about you. But I quoted OSUPsych whom I was responding to, not you. It was he that quoted you, sippy cup.