Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
It’s a fact vaccine mandates work. You said lockdowns when targeted work yet people in this thread debate that. Masks work yet you and I have disagreed on that as well as other people in this thread. Some have gone so far as to say they are penalized.
I am not arguing vaccines or vaccine mandates. I mentioned early on that I was supportive of France’s Macron when he proposed that France would require it for indoor events.

Masks: If everyone had a good mask and wore it properly while in a contained space …yes they would lower spread.
The debates are not about masks, but from mask mandates. Debating mask mandate effectiveness is certainly valid. There are studies shown that they work and a lot of real-world data showing that they have not been shown to lower spread. Multiple reasons: social distancing is more important, people wearing masks have panacea of they are protected, masks are often times worn improperly, some masks offer little protection. And threats of mask mandates potentially slowed vaccination rates by taking away an incentive. And this should be an issue of choice — as long as it is not a forced confined space like buses or airplanes.

Last edited:

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
You have said this before and gotten your stream of likes but it is simply wrong. The government already spends billions pushing exercise and healthy eating. And, guess what difference it makes? None. It has been studied over and over. No matter the age group it is ineffective. Obesity is far more complex than this.

Things that could be effective get announced here and then we clamour about our rights and government overreach blah, blah blah.
I'm merely wanting for the talking heads (Fauci, CDC, whomever) to address the health of American across all media and the risks that it is taking in regards to COVID. As I mentioned we are one of the unhealthiest countries in the world and it's not surprising that we also lead the world in COVID cases and deaths. (I'm sure it's also because we have the capability of testing more and reporting cases.)

I just wish the news outlets would discuss the benefits of exercise, healthier eating, vitamins (zinc, C, and D) in aiding against severe COVID symptoms and hospitalizations. Building up your immune system during a time like this seems like a no-brainer, but they only discuss vaccines which are obviously an integral part of fighting the disease. Instead, they seem go go the other way:

Fact Check-Healthy lifestyles do not guarantee protection against COVID-19

Despite quoting a study that says:

Conclusions Consistently meeting physical activity guidelines was strongly associated with a reduced risk for severe COVID-19 outcomes among infected adults. We recommend efforts to promote physical activity be prioritized by public health agencies and incorporated into routine medical care.

I am all for vaccines, but wish that the talking heads would publicly acknowledge the nations poor health, its impact its having on the pandemic, and provide some guidance to help people get healthier. They have to quit worrying about offending people and bluntly say that if your overweight or have preexisting conditions than you are much more likely to have severe reactions to COVID and end up in the hospital or dead. Here are the ways you can help yourself and the healthcare workers ____.

Nov 23, 2010
Why is a company like the one I work for with 95 employees exempt while one down the road with 101 not exempt? The same people from both companies all interact with each other at school activities, church etc.

OSHA regulations probably step up based on employee size with 100 being a significant step up in permissible regulation, whoever was squinting to say they could do this at all probably thought this was where they could set it.

Why is a small business like Murphy’s department store designated as non essential and has to close while one of the richest families in the country, the Waltons, is allowed to operate without any restrictions?

As Hackelman said, groceries are more important.

Why is Leonard jewelry forced to close while every liquor store in town is allowed to operate as an essential business?

The goal at the time was to prevent hospitals from being overrun. Delerium Tremens is a medical emergency and it would have been bad to have a bunch of alcoholics need emergency service at once.

If the vaccines are so safe why are the manufacturers immune from any liability?

This law goes back to 1988. I would assume because vaccines are a massive net positive for society but not a big money maker for the most part (even the covid vaccines are only $20/pop), the government wanted to encourage the development of vaccines and limiting the downside risk for pharmaceutical companies developing them. There is a fund for people who suffer vaccine related injuries to get compensation from.

Why are guys like Bill Gates on tv lecturing the rest of us about medical advice?
He has high name ID and has made public health his cause since retiring from Microsoft.

Why did an entire email chain between Fauci and Mark Zuckerberg have to be redacted? What could they possibly be discussing that is a threat to national security?
Not sure this needed to be redacted, but I'd assume they relied on some rule about government contracts. "In a June 9 tweet, Facebook communications director Andy Stone said the contents of the redacted parts of the email related to a plan to "share Facebook ad credits with government agencies to help them run coronavirus PSAs [public service announcements].""

Why aren’t we being provided the number of vaccinated people who are still dying from covid?

We are. I don't see the actual numbers here, but it seems like you could back out to it from this chart. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

Why are the airlines now retracting their vaccine mandates?
That's not an accurate depiction of what's happening. Delta never had a vaccine mandate for existing employees so they can't rescind it. There is a mandate for new hires. Southwest hasn't rescinded their mandate, they're just not putting people on unpaid leave while their exemption is being reviewed.

What is the plan to replace the TSA workers who will be fired if the media reporting of 40% unvaccinated is true?
There probably isn't one.

Why are tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) illegals allowed to cross the border with zero vaccination requirements while the healthcare workers who have been on the front lines since day one are being fired for not getting the jab?

Capacity? ICE can barely keep up with the people flowing across the border as is, adding an additional step to that process would make that problem even worse.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I'm merely wanting for the talking heads (Fauci, CDC, whomever) to address the health of American across all media and the risks that it is taking in regards to COVID. As I mentioned we are one of the unhealthiest countries in the world and it's not surprising that we also lead the world in COVID cases and deaths. (I'm sure it's also because we have the capability of testing more and reporting cases.)

I just wish the news outlets would discuss the benefits of exercise, healthier eating, vitamins (zinc, C, and D) in aiding against severe COVID symptoms and hospitalizations. Building up your immune system during a time like this seems like a no-brainer, but they only discuss vaccines which are obviously an integral part of fighting the disease. Instead, they seem go go the other way:

Conclusions Consistently meeting physical activity guidelines was strongly associated with a reduced risk for severe COVID-19 outcomes among infected adults. We recommend efforts to promote physical activity be prioritized by public health agencies and incorporated into routine medical care.

I am all for vaccines, but wish that the talking heads would publicly acknowledge the nations poor health, its impact its having on the pandemic, and provide some guidance to help people get healthier. They have to quit worrying about offending people and bluntly say that if your overweight or have preexisting conditions than you are much more likely to have severe reactions to COVID and end up in the hospital or dead. Here are the ways you can help yourself and the healthcare workers ____.
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obesity-and-covid-19.html

And, Fauci is now a lightning rod. If you think that he would be able to pull-off "Hey America, part of the problem is you are unhealthy" and have that be taken as sage advice and not have at least half of the country claim that he is now blaming them for the problem you haven't been paying attention.

I am double boarded in EM and obesity medicine. I do both jobs. All I can say is "If only it were that simple." We really, really want obesity to be an issue of "Hey, are you aware that if you eat better and exercise this can be fixed?" but it just isn't the case for the vast majority of people.

Unfortunately, there isn't good evidence for Vit C or D for Covid specifically. The best studies on supplementing did not show any outcome benefit. Zinc, as far as I know, the jury is still out.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

Done. Now you can sing his praises or move more goalposts.

https://www.eatthis.com/news-fauci-obesity-covid-risk/

"You know, that's a great question," answered Fauci. "I think it's a couple of things. I think it's the mechanical movement of the diaphragm to expand and contract your lungs. And we know that because people do better when you've put them prone as opposed to supine. So one of the things that obese people have—they don't have the capability of easily inhaling and exhaling because of the constraints on their plasticity of the lung. That's one of the things."

"The other thing I believe," said Fauci, "is that obese people, particularly morbidly obese people, have a much higher rate of the other underlying comorbidities, which get a serious outcome. That's diabetes, hypertension, heart disease—the incidents in a morbidly obese person of those other diseases is much higher than the general population."

"Obesity is an epidemic in this country," said Dr. Fauci. "That's really one of the unfortunate situations, and there are so many reasons for that, that date back from the time a person is a child, the kind of diet that they get exposed to. And it's particularly disproportionate in certain demographic groups. I mean, African-American, Latinx population—clearly almost certainly related to the lack of accessibility early on when their children [need] a completely varied and healthy diet."

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
and don't get me started on the FDA allowing 10s of thousands of chemicals in our everyday food and stuff banned in most countries across the globe. These overly processed and chemically modified foods weren't nearly as prevalent 20 years ago. We're also seeing all-time highs in obesity

And, Fauci is now a lightning rod. If you think that he would be able to pull-off "Hey America, part of the problem is you are unhealthy" and have that be taken as sage advice and not have at least half of the country claim that he is now blaming them for the problem you haven't been paying attention.

I am double boarded in EM and obesity medicine. I do both jobs. All I can say is "If only it were that simple." We really, really want obesity to be an issue of "Hey, are you aware that if you eat better and exercise this can be fixed?" but it just isn't the case for the vast majority of people.

Unfortunately, there isn't good evidence for Vit C or D for Covid specifically. The best studies on supplementing did not show any outcome benefit. Zinc, as far as I know, the jury is still out.
He is a lightning rod, but at least half the nation would listen to him. If the other half aren't currently living a healthy lifestyle, I doubt they'd decide to get more unhealthy because he says the opposite. I only mention him since he has been the "face" of COVID despite his polarizing presence.

I definitely understand that changing your way of life is an uphill battle. I just think that more of an emphasis on overall health as a secondary fight against COVID can't hurt.

I thought it was clear that lack of Vitamin D increases your chances of testing positive for Covid: Study suggests high vitamin D levels may protect against COVID-19, especially for Black people

Vitamin C and Zinc help your immune system fight off infections.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
and don't get me started on the FDA allowing 10s of thousands of chemicals in our everyday food and stuff banned in most countries across the globe. These overly processed and chemically modified foods weren't nearly as prevalent 20 years ago. We're also seeing all-time highs in obesity

He is a lightning rod, but at least half the nation would listen to him. If the other half aren't currently living a healthy lifestyle, I doubt they'd decide to get more unhealthy because he says the opposite. I only mention him since he has been the "face" of COVID despite his polarizing presence.

I thought it was clear that lack of Vitamin D increases your chances of testing positive for Covid: Study suggests high vitamin D levels may protect against COVID-19, especially for Black people

Low Vit D levels= bad prognostically in COVID infection.
Adding Vit D= doesn't help outcomes in COVID.
That study you posted is observational so doesn't show whether higher vit D is just a marker for health or whether taking a Vit D supplement decreases COVID. That said, for the vast majority of us taking Vit D is a good idea in general, but not necessarily for COVID.

Saying "vit C and zinc help your immune system fight off infections" is not specific enough. It is like saying "being tall helps with sports" which has some truth to it but isn't always true. There are no studies showing an outcome benefit for Vit C in COVID. I don't think there are for zinc but I am not as sure and haven't looked in a while.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year

I definitely understand that changing your way of life is an uphill battle. I just think that more of an emphasis on overall health as a secondary fight against COVID can't hurt.

The problem with the vitamin D data is that it suggests high levels may protect against infection. That does not ergo mean that taking exogenous vitamin D will protect against infection.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

Low Vit D levels= bad prognostically in COVID infection.
Adding Vit D= doesn't help outcomes in COVID.
That study you posted is observational so doesn't show whether higher vit D is just a marker for health or whether taking a Vit D supplement decreases COVID. That said, for the vast majority of us taking Vit D is a good idea in general, but not necessarily for COVID.

Saying "vit C and zinc help your immune system fight off infections" is not specific enough. It is like saying "being tall helps with sports" which has some truth to it but isn't always true. There are no studies showing an outcome benefit for Vit C in COVID. I don't think there are for zinc but I am not as sure and haven't looked in a while.
The evidence for zinc is razor thin.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
What could possibly go wrong? Clown world.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Children age 5 to 11 will soon be able to get a COVID-19 shot at their pediatrician's office, local pharmacy and potentially even their school, the White House said Wednesday as it detailed plans for the expected authorization of the Pfizer shot for younger children in a matter of weeks.

Federal regulators will meet over the next two weeks to weigh the benefits of giving shots to kids, after lengthy studies meant to ensure the safety of the vaccines.

Within hours of formal approval, expected after the Food and Drug Administration signs off and a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory panel meeting scheduled for Nov. 2-3, doses will begin shipping to providers across the country, along with smaller needles necessary for injecting young kids, and within days will be ready to go into the arms of kids on a wide scale.​

Mar 11, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) — Children age 5 to 11 will soon be able to get a COVID-19 shot at their pediatrician's office, local pharmacy and potentially even their school, the White House said Wednesday as it detailed plans for the expected authorization of the Pfizer shot for younger children in a matter of weeks.​
Federal regulators will meet over the next two weeks to weigh the benefits of giving shots to kids, after lengthy studies meant to ensure the safety of the vaccines.​
Within hours of formal approval, expected after the Food and Drug Administration signs off and a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory panel meeting scheduled for Nov. 2-3, doses will begin shipping to providers across the country, along with smaller needles necessary for injecting young kids, and within days will be ready to go into the arms of kids on a wide scale.​
I think that makes sense provided the school receives parental approval prior to their child receiving the vaccines. Many schools have nurses.

I know several schools worked with local groups to come to the school to administer COVID boosters to teachers.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

WASHINGTON (AP) — Children age 5 to 11 will soon be able to get a COVID-19 shot at their pediatrician's office, local pharmacy and potentially even their school, the White House said Wednesday as it detailed plans for the expected authorization of the Pfizer shot for younger children in a matter of weeks.​
Federal regulators will meet over the next two weeks to weigh the benefits of giving shots to kids, after lengthy studies meant to ensure the safety of the vaccines.​
Great question. What could go wrong? Why is this "clown world" to you? My kids school is giving flu shots in-school this Friday to any kid who's parent wants them to get it. Are you picturing the lunch lady handing out vaxxes or something?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

WASHINGTON (AP) — Children age 5 to 11 will soon be able to get a COVID-19 shot at their pediatrician's office, local pharmacy and potentially even their school, the White House said Wednesday as it detailed plans for the expected authorization of the Pfizer shot for younger children in a matter of weeks.

Federal regulators will meet over the next two weeks to weigh the benefits of giving shots to kids, after lengthy studies meant to ensure the safety of the vaccines.

When I was in school we lined up in the cafeteria and go the polio vaccine with a cattle gun. Polio has now been eradicated in most of the world. Yes, we were such clowns for eradicating polio. Maybe we should reintroduce it in the population so that you can assert your constitutional right to contract it.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
When I was in school we lined up in the cafeteria and go the polio vaccine with a cattle gun. Polio has now been eradicated in most of the world. Yes, we were such clowns for eradicating polio. Maybe we should reintroduce it in the population so that you can assert your constitutional right to contract it.

Are you seriously equating the risks of polio in children to the risk of Covid to children. The polio vaccine was invented in 1953 and wasn't administered until 2 years later after being tested on almost 2 million kids. Oh, and they had a couple of small issues.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1383764/

If you want to stick your kids go ahead. If the try to mandate this it won't go well.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

Are you seriously equating the risks of polio in children to the risk of Covid to children. The polio vaccine was invented in 1953 and wasn't administered until 2 years later after being tested on almost 2 million kids. Oh, and they had a couple of small issues.

If you want to stick your kids go ahead. If the try to mandate this it won't go well.
Yes. Every child that gets infected with COVID-19 is a chance for mutation, even if the child is asymptomatic. And there is no reason to believe that future variants will pose low risk to children.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

How in the world do you read this...
Children age 5 to 11 will soon be able to get a COVID-19 shot at their pediatrician's office, local pharmacy and potentially even their school, the White House said Wednesday as it detailed plans for the expected authorization of the Pfizer shot for younger children in a matter of weeks.
... and go straight to mandates?

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

I would suspect that he was thinking about herd immunity and doing things for the benefit of our society at large instead of being completely self-indulged and following the current political persuasion of many that anything they do is only for their own selfish interest and the benefit of others is completely irrelevant to them. It shows through in so many of the posts here. Sure, they depend on the selfless acts of others, but never, ever consider doing one themselves. Even more incredible when the data shows that this act is lower risk than not doing it so it is not only for society but also for their own benefit. But, stupid is as stupid does and "it won't go well" because of stupid is quite accurate.

Look I don’t know why they choose 100. I’m going to guess if that # was 1,000 or 500 or 50 you would still ask the same ?

I’m guessing they let WalMart stay open bc they sell groceries and butt wipe. Seems like a good call bc most of us have like a weeks worth of food in our houses.

I’m sure Leonard is a good dude, so I don’t know why he got shut down.

I don’t listen to Bill Gates on much of anything, but why was trump talking about bleach and UV lights?

What airlines are dropping their mandates? Delta has a vaccine or pay to test policy.

Let’s wait and see on TSA. If they trend like most, we will see vaccination rates go up or those saying they are vaccinated will go up.

You are wrong about mandates. They work. If you don’t want the shot, find another job or stay home.
That long answer and you never used the word “science” once. All we’ve been told since the beginning is “follow the science.” There isn’t one ounce of science involved in any of these decisions unless we factor in the political science.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

How in the world to you read this...
Children age 5 to 11 will soon be able to get a COVID-19 shot at their pediatrician's office, local pharmacy and potentially even their school, the White House said Wednesday as it detailed plans for the expected authorization of the Pfizer shot for younger children in a matter of weeks.
... and get anything about mandates?
Confirmation bias.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1383764/

Any parent who opposes will be considered a “domestic terrorist.”